What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What the hell is in this weed?? Is it safe?

Magic-Matt

I cannot explain these results. I think this weed is actually too strong for me, or maybe there is some problem with it I am unaware of. It is NOT relaxing. Please let me know if you have had a similar experiencewith a plant you have grown.

I switched from growing indoors to growing outdoors this year. I have had moderate success with growing indoors but had problems controling humidity in my growroom. Moving outside in Spring, the conditions were absolutely perfect!

I grew a strain I was familiar with, Early Skunk from Sensi Seeds, which I have grown from seed several times before indoors. I manifolded and created 16 big colas, and I trimmed all the fan leaves to try to encourage greater bud growth. They looked amazing and I harvested this week. There were the beginnings of signs of budrot in the 3 days before harvest, but I hunted out the affected buds and removed them. The buds were certainly ready, with the trichomes turning amber.

I have been smoking weed for 20 years and I have lots of experience and tollerance. I have been smoking regularly for about 3 months, so my tollerance should be high. Also, I have harvested weed too early before and experienced the 'speedy' high of a plant harvested too early. I am prepared to accept that this is much better than the weed I was smoking yesterday, but I have NEVER felt the need to ask anyone if any weed I have ever smoked or grown is actually SAFE to use.

BUT: after smoking a joint of this weed, I got heart palpitations and a racing pulse :bump: I do not think it was a panic attack as I have had one before and I was not panicing this time. I just found that my heart was beating very fast and hard. It was like I was running a race but not out of breath, and I was not doing any exercise at the time. This has never happened to me before with cannabis. I had to do some deep breathing and yoga for about 30 minutes to calm my heartrate down.

This is certainly not what I was expecting from this weed. I left it a little longer in the sun so that the trichomes would turn amber and contain more CBD because I was looking for the medical and relaxing effects of the CBD. I wanted couch-lock, but this weed is NOT relaxing at all!

Is it possible that I made a mistake while growing? I grew in a nug-bucket outdoors using some basic storebought compost and perlite; BioBizz nutrients in regular doses; watered 10 litres every 3 days, preferably at dusk; topped repeatedly though the spring to make 16 colas; added some low doses of Bud Candy, Big Bud and Tarantula in the flowering period; flushed for a week before harvest; brought the plant into indoor growroom for 48hours blackness before cutting. The buds I smoked were from around the bottom of one of the colas, virtually a larfy bud wth absolutely no budrot.

On the plus side, the flavour is brilliant and definately my best ever :woohoo: I was growing for flavour this time because my last grow was a little harsh. This plant is so smooth, it feels like your lungs are beng hydrated, and it has a deep, full, rich hashish taste/smell like the first time I went to Amsterdam. Perfect! But I don't know if it is safe for me to smoke it as no weed has EVER done this to me (palpitations without panic, racing heartrate, heart beating really hard, lasting 15-30 minutes).

Has anyone else been through this?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
It sounds like it was harvested early but you say you had Amber trichs?

Is this from clone or seed. Possibly got a more sativa leaning phenotype?

Sounds like some excellent weed to be honest! It may calm down some as it cures.

But to answer your question, I'm sure it's safe, it's just do you want to smoke it or not given the effect.

Would love to hear more about the strain. When you got it, flower time indoors, etc..

therevverend

Veteran
It's happened to me before. I've smoked for many years but if I smoke something really strong when I haven't been smoking a lot I get the exact same effects.

Indica versus Sativa strain doesn't matter I've smoked an Indica that did the same thing. Hadn't smoked in a long time, had zero tolerance and took bong hits of really strong Grape Ape. I was terrified for a while my blood pressure must have been really high.

Even though you've been smoking ganja you haven't been smoking real potent fresh home stone. Smoking an entire joint to yourself will do it to you. Most people take a hit and pass it. It sounds to me like you did an awesome job growing it of course it's going to be much more potent then the stuff you've been smoking. Congratulations!

Get a little pipe and take a hit or two. See where that gets you. After a couple days smoking small amounts you'll enjoy it more and more. Your tolerance will increase and before you know it you'll be burning joints all day long...

Hort1

It happens to me from time to time especially with the first couple of samples from a new strain or grow.

Magic-Matt

It sounds like it was harvested early but you say you had Amber trichs?

Is this from clone or seed. Possibly got a more sativa leaning phenotype?

Sounds like some excellent weed to be honest! It may calm down some as it cures.

But to answer your question, I'm sure it's safe, it's just do you want to smoke it or not given the effect.

Would love to hear more about the strain. When you got it, flower time indoors, etc..
Yes, the trichs on the top 1/3 of the plant had already turned amber, while the lower buds still had sugary trichs.

It was a strain called Early Skunk, an easy-to-grow strain I got from Sensi Seeds. It was grown from seed, but I did take many cuttings from it during the veg stage for cloning. It is a 35/65 Sativa/Indica, but yes the phenotype could be perfect for the climate (meditaranian). I sculpted it into a short, fat bush and trimmed all the big fan leaves so the sun could get to the buds.

I got the seeds last year and forgot about them; found them in about March and planted them. I grew one indoors and decided to keep one outdoors for cloning. It did so well it became my main plant. It was very well rooted and mature. A short time after the Summer Solstice, I moved the plant to a slightly cooler part of the garden and this seems to have triggered it to start flowering early - so it was getting the best July and August sun right at the best time for flowering. That might be the cause of the strength.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I'm with Lester, it may well smooth-out if you cure it properly. It could also be Psychosomatic in some way. Has it done it again and does it always have the same effect?

Regards,
Iffy :tiphat:

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
It was the 48 hour dark period.....WAY TO DARK!!!!!! It pulled the strain right into hell, the ultimate darkness. It came back as the devils weed, which completely explains your heart issues as HE was trying to pull you back to his realm. At some point you must have drank some water, which is actually the antidote for the devils grasp he had on you. Just know this, you are lucky to have not been sexually assaulted by the devil.

Or it could of been the other stuff you took...…..

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd say cure it longer, the stone could mellow out some.
I also agree with smoking it in moderation, take a hit or 2 - see how you feel & judge it from there, either taking more hits or less til you reach the desired effect you want.

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
it does sound like an anxiety response, not quite a full on panic attack but enough to make your heart beat hard.

W

Water-

I cannot explain these results. I think this weed is actually too strong for me, or maybe there is some problem with it I am unaware of. It is NOT relaxing. Please let me know if you have had a similar experiencewith a plant you have grown.

I switched from growing indoors to growing outdoors this year. I have had moderate success with growing indoors but had problems controling humidity in my growroom. Moving outside in Spring, the conditions were absolutely perfect!

I grew a strain I was familiar with, Early Skunk from Sensi Seeds, which I have grown from seed several times before indoors. I manifolded and created 16 big colas, and I trimmed all the fan leaves to try to encourage greater bud growth. They looked amazing and I harvested this week. There were the beginnings of signs of budrot in the 3 days before harvest, but I hunted out the affected buds and removed them. The buds were certainly ready, with the trichomes turning amber.

I have been smoking weed for 20 years and I have lots of experience and tollerance. I have been smoking regularly for about 3 months, so my tollerance should be high. Also, I have harvested weed too early before and experienced the 'speedy' high of a plant harvested too early. I am prepared to accept that this is much better than the weed I was smoking yesterday, but I have NEVER felt the need to ask anyone if any weed I have ever smoked or grown is actually SAFE to use.

BUT: after smoking a joint of this weed, I got heart palpitations and a racing pulse :bump: I do not think it was a panic attack as I have had one before and I was not panicing this time. I just found that my heart was beating very fast and hard. It was like I was running a race but not out of breath, and I was not doing any exercise at the time. This has never happened to me before with cannabis. I had to do some deep breathing and yoga for about 30 minutes to calm my heartrate down.

This is certainly not what I was expecting from this weed. I left it a little longer in the sun so that the trichomes would turn amber and contain more CBD because I was looking for the medical and relaxing effects of the CBD. I wanted couch-lock, but this weed is NOT relaxing at all!

Is it possible that I made a mistake while growing? I grew in a nug-bucket outdoors using some basic storebought compost and perlite; BioBizz nutrients in regular doses; watered 10 litres every 3 days, preferably at dusk; topped repeatedly though the spring to make 16 colas; added some low doses of Bud Candy, Big Bud and Tarantula in the flowering period; flushed for a week before harvest; brought the plant into indoor growroom for 48hours blackness before cutting. The buds I smoked were from around the bottom of one of the colas, virtually a larfy bud wth absolutely no budrot.

On the plus side, the flavour is brilliant and definately my best ever :woohoo: I was growing for flavour this time because my last grow was a little harsh. This plant is so smooth, it feels like your lungs are beng hydrated, and it has a deep, full, rich hashish taste/smell like the first time I went to Amsterdam. Perfect! But I don't know if it is safe for me to smoke it as no weed has EVER done this to me (palpitations without panic, racing heartrate, heart beating really hard, lasting 15-30 minutes).

Has anyone else been through this?

any chance it could be your heart?

Marijuana raises blood pressure

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
id say start with a toke, then work up to 2 tokes lol started with a whole doobie of modern herb,todays weed seed isnt mexi bagseed, start easy bruhm peace

editm i wont even roll a doobie unless 3 people cause my herb is way too strong and a waste to roll when 2,3 tokes get ya higher than a georgia pine

mayorofthdesert

just some thoughts, you've grown the strain before but this plant could be a much different pheno. did it look the same as what you grew before? unless its from the same batch maybe something happened on the breeders end?

any recently new stresses or stuff on your mind? i get anxiety regularly & when i do i can only tolerate the most calming indicas. if i don't have anxiety i can enjoy most middle of the road weed & if i'm feeling very good i'll actually enjoy the racing heart i get from even the most stimulating sativas. (mind)set and setting is important like with psychadelics, for me at least.

Green Squall

This sounds like classic anxiety/panic. Its always hard to accept this, but trying to find a scapegoat won't make your situation any better. Do you have any stressors is your life right now? How are you doing overall? Its kind of like a "bad" trip. I don't think a bad trip is actually bad - its your mind trying to tell you something is wrong. I'd take a break from smoking and try to think your way through this. Do some reflecting and get to the source. Its definitely not the weed.

clearheaded

one poster said it raises blood pressure?? perhaps it could if raised heart rate from panic but doesnt directly affect heart. it does however cause ur blood pressure to lower hense the ahhh instant relax feeling as vssels relax. So it does pontentially do both. have to be careful making those claims as not good to pass on misinfo about peoples health and decisions.

anyhoo i have a theory that what causes alot of racy high is those monoterps (higher amounts in fresh and 'earlier' harvest as are first to evaporate) and can deliver the thc faster as act as solvents and pass into blood faster. then of course if gets fairly old u will get more CBN which mellows things out of course.

Klompen

Could be there's some trace fungus in the product. Some fungus like ergot can do very bad things to you, even in tiny amounts. You said you had some bud rot.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
id say start with a toke, then work up to 2 tokes lol started with a whole doobie of modern herb,todays weed seed isnt mexi bagseed, start easy bruhm peace

editm i wont even roll a doobie unless 3 people cause my herb is way too strong and a waste to roll when 2,3 tokes get ya higher than a georgia pine

So much this.

No way I could smoke a whole spliff of my homegrown by myself. I'd be higher than a giraffe's ass. Like you were!

You cut it too early.

If you're using the sugar leaves to determine clear/cloudy/amber, you're going to see more mature resin on those than on the seed bracts themselves.

I smoked a few test larf buds from my Nep Jam and it was like hopping on a rocket ship.

Racy, rushy and intense, but only lasts half as long as when the bud is mature.

Last year, I picked one of the NJs in the first week of October... and the difference between it and the plants I harvested in the last week of Oct is huge. One, the size and density of the flowers, two: the stone.

It's already an "up" sativa", but when picked early, it's loco weed hahaha

Outdoor plants see actual weather... and I think those areas that see sunlight most of the day age faster and the resin turns sooner. I usually check the bottom bracts on the flowers below those.

Let it cure and age somewhat and see if it improves. If not, trade it away for something stonier I guess.

therevverend

Veteran
one poster said it raises blood pressure?? perhaps it could if raised heart rate from panic but doesnt directly affect heart.

First it raises blood pressure and then lowers it. Part of the reason your eyes get rid is from the tiny blood vessels in your eyes bursting from the increased blood pressure. It's not dangerous because it doesn't stay elevated. It goes up a little bit then goes down a bit below normal.

When you get a high tolerance your blood pressure isn't affected as much. I'm guessing it's one of the causes of panic attacks. Your mind has trippy thoughts, maybe uncomfortable ones if you aren't use to the mind game aspect of it. Your blood pressure raises trigging a flight or fight response.

I used to love getting high combined with outdoor activities. Hiking, basketball, swimming, etc. are a lot of fun after getting really baked. I'm not a skier or surfer but those are stoner head rush types of sports. The elevated blood pressure and added alertness helps you focus that adrenaline. Slows time down you can see, for instance, the break of a curveball in baseball.

clearheaded

mm rev think u gots it twisted. actually its not the INCREASE in BP but the widening of vessels (which actually lowers BP) that causes redness, which of course is the reason glaucoma (high pressure in eyes) is helped by cannabis.

but yes i think it can do both but the action on your body is it lowers blood pressure. however it has been observed it can raise bp aswell and i think(dont know) is that heart rate can increase with cannabis which would raise BP but thc does not DIRECTLY increase heart rate (why there is no Lethal dose). however paranoia coughing inhalation of smoke can, this explains why science hasnt pegged it down and like you said why when u have a large T the increase wont happen as much. as your mind doesnt get triggered to be in fight or flight node like u said

here is a quote explaining part of cannabis as glaucoma treatment from aao.org " Unfortunately, marijuana not only lowers IOP, but it lowers blood pressure throughout the body. As a result, it has the potential to lower the blood flow to the optic nerve, effectively canceling out the benefit of a lowered IOP." (I think this is anti cannabis so making the claim lower BP prevents blood flow to the nerve enough to cause damage is kinda silly and imagine u would have to have really low blood pressure that was lowered even more for that to be a problem or diabetes. for them to say it cancels out all benefit is a very bold statement)
At any rate my point was the reason u get red eyes is NOT from increase in BP!! but infact the EXACT OPPOSITE as it causes dilation(which is why appear red as they are bigger but less flow) of vessels which LOWER BP and Interoccular pressure and is fairly well documented.

also you dont get burst blood vessels in your eyes when you smoke weed. this would be a big issue if that happened as would have bruises that lasted in your eyes but of course blood doesnt pool in your eyes and redness goes away in a few hours which is not from blood vessels healing.

sorry for the rant just when it comes to health and stuff really dont like to see misinfo.

Last edited: