What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Major Buzz-Kill - First & Last Trip to Oregon Rec. Dispensary.

St. Phatty

Lesson Learned: READ THE FINE PRINT.

In which case, you may need to bring your glasses.

I have 4 plants that are 2 to 3 weeks away from maturity
packing on the Resin :woohoo:

In the meantime ...I thought I would treat myself to some Oregon Rec. Cannabis.

Emailed with the dispensary first. Made it clear that I was a medical Cannabis consumer in California, and wanted some Good Fresh Cannabis.

They sold me what was labelled 'Cookies'. Lots of fine print.

When I got home, I put on my glasses and read the fine print. Harvested February 9, 2016. 19 1/2 months old.

IT'S OLDER THAN LAST YEAR'S HARVEST !

I have 11 month old Purple Trainwreck x Apollo 11.

I haven't been sold 19 1/2 month old Compost (as Cannabis) since high school - which was 45 years ago.

The name of the dispensary I went to is Diamond Cannabis.

I suggest avoiding them.

This incident has given me a fresh understanding of ABF's motto, "Always be Flowering".

I started some seeds so I will have fresh herb in 6 months, and won't be tempted to visit Oregon Rec. stores.

I also examined my own plants, and cut a few of the small buds. I had been drying some figs in the oven, so I put the new buds in an aluminum pan and put them in the oven. The oven cycle is, a fast ramp to 170 F, then I open the door and it cools down fast. Spends most of its time around 100 F.

If I pull the bud out and put it up to my forehead at the 'hot point' in the cycle, it doesn't feel that hot - comparable to human body temp.

The smell of figs drying with a touch of Cannabis - now that is a good smelling kitchen. :peacock:

Anyway, my first smoke (from my own grow) was Blueberry Headband x Blue Widow (for short, there's more to the Blue Widow, it's Blue Widow x Lemon Bubble Kush).

Great, and HARSH (nothing like smoking chlorophyll !).

Next up (actually for today) is Green Crack x Apollo 11 ... also oven-dried.

I thought the rec. industry would save me from having to go that route.

As far as the store, they say their name is Diamond Cannabis but I could swear Diamond Compost would be a more accurate description.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The main thing - before Cannabis was legal in Calif., and then with Medical, the Passion for Quality was Manic. Obsessed. REALLY dedicated.

I NEVER had Cannabis older than 6 months. It was always Fresh, Fresh, Fresh.

That was in the 90's. In the 00's, I was a service provider for a med. dispensary and got to know the owner. Heaven Help anybody who brought him 19 month old Cannabis as anything but Cannabis for their Compassion Program.

Same in the "Between Consenting Adults" part of the industry.

Before legalization, Cannabis was usually sold by one Silicon Valley co-worker to another, usually before dinner, over wine. Not so un-civilized.

But if I EVER showed up at a scene like that with 19 month old Cannabis - I might get one more chance before I was shown the door FOREVER.

Long story short, the Un-regulated California Cannabis industry has a Quality Control System that RUNS RINGS around the Oregon Rec. system. My guess is, the same could be said about the Un-regulated Oregon Cannabis industry.

In other words, they added several layers of complexity (and paperwork), and 1 big layer of Taxation, and Quality declined Markedly.

I must say, I feel a little sad. I was rooting for the Oregon rec. industry. But so far, this is what the dispensary has done:
* took my money, selling 19 month old Cannabis as Good Fresh Cannabis.
* used the Oregon Cannabis codes to explain why they couldn't give me my money back (total BS, there is nothing in the codes about giving people their money back).
* confided in me that the Cannabis I bought was also ... mis-labelled.

I suggest avoiding the Oregon rec. industry until the 2018 harvest, while they fire a few greedy retail managers and purge all the compost from their inventory pipelines.

Pics of Green Crack x A11, and Apollo 11 F3.

Last pic is Whole Plant of the GC x A11. It's in a 32 gallon rolling garbage can plant pot.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20170922_090753_gc_+_+__.jpg
    IMG_20170922_090753_gc_+_+__.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20170914_091227_gc_+_+__.jpg
    IMG_20170914_091227_gc_+_+__.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 6

TheMan13

Veteran
I guess that harvest date would be an issue if not cured and maintained properly. Some of the finest herb I've ever smoke had been cured years. I even won a Cup this summer with an 18 month cured Bruce Banner #3. Consider tobacco is cured for years before marketed.

Then again, if you put garbage in a jar it will be garbage 19 1/2 months later ;-)~

squatty

Hello, may I ask how you store flowers for that long? I'm storing in glass jars with boveda 62% and flowers start getting crispy around two years. Thanks.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Haha welcome to Oregon! I have not seen anything worth smoking. I have 16 rec stores in my area. ASS.

I am working on my own store. Going to show these assholes what real indoor looks like. They had a good 18months to make paper. Well it's my turn now.

Just boring stores with boring weed here.

I am doing everything different. You wont see used jewelry store cases and glass jars in my place. And you won't find 16 retail outlets here in two years. They cannot compete with my quality period. I expect them to go bye bye.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Thank you! I am working tirelessly.

I will never sell flower beyond 180 days old. That goes into extracts. With super low prices and insane quality I won't get stuck with it.

Latest posts

Latest posts