What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hochstrom Filter "Issues"

BigJohnny

First time using my hochstrom with dual plate and tall tube today....and it didn't go so well which I'm going to chalk up to me doing something wrong.

it's all connected as they show on their website, but I was having a hell of a time trying to get it to flow freely, fully, and at half vacuum as they advertise.
first I was unable to go below about 400 torr, I think I may have had a small leak that I fixed somehow and it was able to pull down to 290 torr.

problem is that it was just dripping and it took me around 2 hours to just get half of the tall tube filtered.

I was using the stage one and two filter papers, and had winterized the large amount I had by dumping dry ice into the bucket with the alcohol and distillate.

so what could I be doing wrong that's preventing me from achieving the full flow as advertised by summit?

mobin

First time using my hochstrom with dual plate and tall tube today....and it didn't go so well which I'm going to chalk up to me doing something wrong.

it's all connected as they show on their website, but I was having a hell of a time trying to get it to flow freely, fully, and at half vacuum as they advertise.
first I was unable to go below about 400 torr, I think I may have had a small leak that I fixed somehow and it was able to pull down to 290 torr.

problem is that it was just dripping and it took me around 2 hours to just get half of the tall tube filtered.

I was using the stage one and two filter papers, and had winterized the large amount I had by dumping dry ice into the bucket with the alcohol and distillate.

so what could I be doing wrong that's preventing me from achieving the full flow as advertised by summit?

did you have any sort of filtering aids besides the paper?

BigJohnny

did you have any sort of filtering aids besides the paper?

No I did not, and now that your asking about that I'm thinking it's safe to assume that I should have used the silica I have?

I thought that was just for removing the carbon dust. I think you may have replied to my thread on that topic.

oneshot

Probably was a leak. I've noticed the Hochstrom has a hard time screwing on properly. I dunno what it is about the threads/o-ring but it feels like it's a weak part of the filter. When you put it together the inside ring that holds the filter paper down shouldn't move.

Don't use the Stage 1 & 2 together. Just use Stage 1 by itself, then stage 2 and then 3. If you don't want to use silica, get some of the pyrex glass wool and you can use that. It will help pull a lot of the first waxes out and will prevent a lot of clogging.

BigJohnny

Probably was a leak. I've noticed the Hochstrom has a hard time screwing on properly. I dunno what it is about the threads/o-ring but it feels like it's a weak part of the filter. When you put it together the inside ring that holds the filter paper down shouldn't move.

Don't use the Stage 1 & 2 together. Just use Stage 1 by itself, then stage 2 and then 3. If you don't want to use silica, get some of the pyrex glass wool and you can use that. It will help pull a lot of the first waxes out and will prevent a lot of clogging.

I've got it working decently now, Greasing the o-ring with vac grease helps a lot, I also noticed that having a slick sheet pad under it helps grip the filter so I can seat it nice and tight.

I think my previous issue was using too much oil in too little alcohol, and using the wrong alcohol.

It's a bit faster now that I'm winterizing the BHO using ethanol, but it tends to slow down a lot because I apparently have TONS of shit in this BHO. I think Ive pulled probably close to 75g of waxes and shit out of about 2500g of winterized distillate.

Latest posts

Latest posts