What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Compressing buds for oxidation?

'Boogieman'

I'm looking to try different ways to process/cure my buds for this year's outdoor later in fall. I'm a guerilla grower from the Midwest and try to grow enough to smoke until next year and I don't care about nothing but potency. Taste, smell, bag appeal none of that matters to me just potency.

I'm reading that compressing buds helps oxidation of the thc crystals which can possibly increase potency. I'm thinking about compressing 25% of my buds and Malawi cob curing 25% and leaving 50% as the normal way done here (jars). Has anybody else tried this method of processing buds and if so do you think it had a positive impact? Thanks for any advice on this.

Where I live, Cannabis is highly illegal and a couple of years ago I feared a bust. I had to hide everything and cleaned my flat. So I did something with my weed I usually never do: I removed stems, dried it thoroughly and compressed my complete stash and packed it very tightly in plastic wrap and plastic bags and in a plastic bucket with a tight lid and digged it.
One and a half year year later I digged it out and feard my weed would be rotten or something like that. No, my weed was completely fine, the smell, the flavour was unchanged. The effect was the same. The potency wasn't weaker than before, maybe a bit more stoned due to the age. The weed got rock hard. I had big long rolls of rock hard weed. When I broke a piece the weed was still flexible.

If this is recommended to improve weed? No. I would not do. I still prefer to keep it like it is in preserving jars. But it is possible to do so, if there are uncommon circumstances.

Tacoavenger17

Brickweed is often compressed and regardless what the snobs say it ain't half bad, I think you may turn a little thc into thca or some analog there of but overall I think you should be fine.

Rare Pheno

Back in the day we used to get packs vac sealed so tight you had to use scissors to break the weed up or you would literally break your grinder, lol. It was good weed and lasted a long time ;]

'Boogieman'

I'm also considering curing my buds the normal way for 2 months in jars them compressing my buds into the jars filling the jars completely so I can have very little oxygen in there to degrade further. I don't have special jars to vacuum seal and fill with nitrogen to prevent thc from further degrading. I grow outdoors and plan on keeping enough too last me a year so what does everyone think about this idea?

'Boogieman'

Brickweed is often compressed and regardless what the snobs say it ain't half bad, I think you may turn a little thc into thca or some analog there of but overall I think you should be fine.

I grew up on bricked and miss the old school sativa's that we used to smoke, in my opinion some of the best weed I have ever smoked was brickweed.

PDX Dopesmoker

Boogieman I like your style, growing too much or getting too much somehow otherwise and playing with the excess is a great way to learn new tricks. I grew up on the same brick you're talking about and also still have positive feelings about it. That nice zippy buzz that would hit you right on top on your eyeballs and keep you amused for hours afterwards is a really nice high. I got the perfect attendance award junior year of high school because we had a regular session every morning in the visiting team's dugout on the softball field smoking that stuff.
Don't forget to tell us anything you've learned via this season drug experimentation when you've got results

THC123

Veteran
I do something similar with mylar vacuum bags.

I dry the herb till the stems snap (not a dry snap but a bendy snap, everything is still sticky icky) and then I put the herb in vac seal mylar bags and then i pull the air out and keep the bag closed for 2-4 weeks.

Then I trim (if needed I let the buds air out in a closed jar for 30 minutes so the smells become loud again) and then I store the trimmed buds in mylar ziplock bags.

I then freeze half of those bags to have fresh smelling and tasting weed. The other half I keep at room temp so it can cure for a maximum of 6 months. After 6 months I freeze everything.

I prefer this method over glass jar curing because the quality you get is very stable compared to jars. And when I say stable I mean taste and potency, in jars it fluctuates and changes too much for my taste. One day you have top shelf, one day it is OK.

Latest posts

Latest posts