What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

packerfan79

Veteran
All this talk of broken stems. I accidentally broke a headbanger, hopefully it was a Male. They were getting to talk so I tried them over, and snap. The rest took it much better. Survival of the fittest I guess.

Rodehazrd

Hello Tribe
Life in the garden is good. I read the conversation on breaking stems and my experience is more sativa weaker stems overall. Broke a Bangi limb off with my water jug and it came almost all the way off. Very brittle. I rarely ever see a split open stem like that. Mostly they just bend and don't even crack open. I guess the Bangi is the most Sativa leaner I've had yet and I worry about late season storms for them. I may have to get a fence up to help support the hopefully large buds.

I have a lot of catching up to do reading back posts
Glad all are well:tiphat:

Fiddynut

Greetings friends.

@pop_rocks. I hope you are enjoying the podcast. I actually need to listen to the first one again and I don't think I finished the second one so I'd like to get back to that. Always things to learn.
I think that getting a ride or workout in first thing in the day (unless I have plants to water than I do that first) has been a big part of my weight loss. Getting the metabolism going and starting to burn fat early in the day seems to make a big difference. But it also helps energize me for the rest of the day as well. Combined with an active day it makes it easier for me to get to sleep at night too. The exception being when my Brewers are on a west cost road trip as they have been over the last week and the games going untill after midnight central time. I've been surviving on 5-6 hours of sleep all week but feeling pretty good. I seem to need less sleep during the summer months anyway.
There is a cool little bike shop right by the kettle trails that rents bikes so we would be in great shape if you ever come to wisco to ride. It's only a coupe miles from the John Muir trails, which are my favorite, at least in southern WI. You are right the fuel isn't a tandem bike LOL. Speaking of tandems and not peddling enough I rode with someone on a tandem street bike once and it was really weird to not be in control of the steering and we were able to get that thing moving really fast, it was kind of scary, like riding passenger on a motorcycle.
That's great that your buddy called you right away when he had an issue. That showes he is looking to do a good job with them.
I hope you guys have a great dinner on Friday and some equally great burgers on Saturday. I'm looking forward to the weekend as well and enjoying what is left of summer too.

@Badfishy. You are right there are some cool ass orchids out there. My wife use to work for a rich guy in SF that had a whole greenhouse in his back yard dedicated to them. He had some really rare and strange varietys. My wife loves her orchids but hasn't been able to keep them happy enough to get them to bloom much and has actually gotten rid of most of hers.

@Packerfan. Sorry to hear about the headbanger. I hope you find winners in the others you have going.

@Rodehazrd. I'm glad to hear that life in your garden is good. I'm glad you are well too.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
i think any grower with a few grows under their belt has broken a stem or dont something they regret in the garden
that feeling you get when you do something wrong and think to yourself "oh sh!t" andwish there was an undo button or you could go back just a few seconds in time
it happens to all of us
its been super nice this past week and i cant wait to check out the girls
plus my friend called and said that all of the plants are starting to show preflowers/ clusters
i will def try and get some pics
thats funny fiddy, because i normally get about 6h sleep a night; some nights, i might get even less
maybe during the winter i will stay in bed longer and hopefully get 6+hrs but its more that i just dont want to get up when its cold outside
/the mrs loves her sleep and thinks im a freak
maybe i should start doing something productive with those early morning hours

one more day to go guys and its the weekend
can you guys believe its august already?!?
plus tonight is the first preseason football game
enjoy the nice days and warm nights, guys!

Badfishy1

Ahhhh could go on forever w orchid talk even tho I understand this isn’t an orchid forum, but I know few things in life, but fishing and orchids are 2 subjects I have wasted the majority of my life on :p I think my 2 favorites are a chocolate smelling one that I have, and the vanilla orchid at my sisters house that has ran all the way up the tree and making its way back down... but for some reason she grows and grows and grows without ever flowering. I have another perhaps 6’ vanilla that does flower. If I’m in town and catch the 6hr window the flowers are open in the morning, I pollinate the flowers then grow the pods out. Then give them to my ladies mother to dry and cure. I simply don’t have the patience for that process. As far as keeping them alive, take them out of pot, plant them in an orchid mix from Home Depot in a hanging basket preferably a coconut fiber type in high heat and high humidity in shaded light. Don’t use ANY feeds or sprays or anything. Simply spray with water once a week if dry. Let Em go... now if able to grow outside, what I do is I slice a notch into bark off a tree, place roots onto notch, wrap roots to tree in pantyhose and walk away.... orchid takes what it needs from trees and literally NO attention required. Talking about the guy with a greenhouse full, there is a man and his KUNT wife in town that have a collection from the 60’s, long before the import ban so he has unreplacable varieties. He had it appraised to sell to a local botanical garden at $2million. Was going to sell for 500k to garden, but the garden instead was donated a HD supply farm as a tax write off for some rich guy and passed up the deal. If anybody has 2m to drop, hit me up, I’ve got a collection for YOU! Sorry for wall of text, but I wanted to share a passion with my friends.

Fiddynut

Happy Friday tribe.

The weekend is almost here and not any too soon. After a nice streach of mild and sunny summer weather the hot and humid weather is coming back for this weekend. I hope the thunderstorms stay away and I get a couple rounds of disc and at least one great mtn bike ride in. I've worked a lot of OT this week and next week will be even busier.

@pop_rocks. I actually almost broke a couple branches this morning as I pulled the pots out of the flower tent to water them. The granola funks are fairly floppy for me, not as much as the 91xSL, but not as sturdy as the red eye Jedi were. I tied up a bunch of branches and they should be ok for a while untill they get really heavy (I hope they get nice and heavy anyway). Buds are coming allong nicley and I'll get some pics and an update done soon.
I'm with you on the "undo" button and the quick rewind. Every time I mess something up I wish I could go back and make a diffrent choice, but the important part is to learn from it and not make that mistake again.
That's cool you are getting flower clusters. I didn't notice any on the outdoor at my friends house last weekend but I think we are still getting more light per day than you at the lower latitude. Looking forward to checking out some more pics of your girls.
I think that getting about 7 hours sleep a night would be perfict for me. A couple nights of 6 or less are ok but if it gets to be too many in a row I start to get run down. You are right about not wanting to get out of bed on cold mornings, same here. Plus it's dark later and that helps me sleep in a lot.
I'm defenatley not ready for football yet and want to enjoy more of summer while it's still here. For us in the north football season means the end of summer and that winter is in the way. I'm glad all is well with you and I hope your weekend kicks ass.

@Badfishy. It sounds like you really know your orchids buddy. That must be a nice hobby. as far as I know my wife uses an orchid mix that looks like bark chunks and never top waters but does bottom water and mist. I think it's just too dry up here in the winter when RH is in the upper 20's%. Hers seem to live forever but never bloom. I know some varietys only bloom every year or two but she has some that haven't bloomed in at least 5 years. She recently put one in a kind of jar like thing and it's doing well. I guess it's kind of like a humidity dome for clones or something. It must be cool to be in a place where you can let them grow outside naturally like thay evolved to do. That's great you have such a passion for the plants and I can tell how much they mean to you by the way you speak of them.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
if there is another plant that inspires as much passion in people as cannabis, its orchids
i bet that guy has an amazing collection of plants in that green house
some orchids are high dollar indeed; i bet if you pieced out the whole collection it could be worth even more
/but who has the connects to shift a greenhouse full of orchids?
thats so cool that you enjoy the hobby, fish! i wonder if any orchid growing techniques can cross over to the weed garden?
like your idea of wrapping the plant to a tree with a panty hose, brilliant man!
it provides a firm wrap but also allows air and water to flow, i wonder if there is a way to air graft/ take clone using something similar?
ive smelled the chocolate orchids and they are nice but i never knew you could prepare the pods, i assume for eating?
dude,thanks for sharing and i enjoyed reading your post!
/we dont just talk growing in the jungle and its cool to hear what else we are into

yeah i was talking to a friend at work from minnisota and she said the same thing about the seasons up north
here in san diego, september can be one of the hottest months
to me october is the best, we get nice warm days with cool nights; perfect for sleeping and ripening cannabis plants
i will check and see if my friend posted me the pics we took yesterday
the break wanst nearly as bad as i thought and it looks like its healing up nicely
its always tricky when you are moving plants around, brother
sometimes they seem to tangle up so they support each other so when you move them all of a sudden you have all these floppy branches
it gives you an idea of where to stake the plant tho, i can see we will be needing to add some trellising or support here soon with our plants outdoors
hope your weekend is off to a great start my man and i hope you are able to get in your ride and some disk golf!

Badfishy1

I’m sorry for the misleading information. I like my particular chocolate because of the strength of the smell... actually permeates the house and you don’t have to get close to smell it. I was talking about curing the vanilla beans from my vanilla plant (only ‘vine’ orchid). There is only one bee in Mexico and Madagascar that pollinates vanilla naturally. So to make vanilla beans, hand pollination is necessary. The flowers only open for 6 hrs for pollination. Hence reason vanilla is so expensive. I got big into ‘flasking’ Orchids, but never learned to graft orchids. Only reason I learned to flask is because I was told I couldn’t. So I made a sterile environment out of an old fish tank and learned to graft. My biggest motivation is being told I can’t do something. I used to buy orchids that were not in bloom for cheap and used to randomly plant them around town. Couple bucks and 20 mins of my time to beautify the community was worth it to me... especially considering I used to spend hours and hundreds of dollars in spray paint to deface it... guess life is full circle

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
some people just like to leave their mark on the world, i grew up with several friends who were very into street art
/did you just tag to did you also do murals or stuff like that?
my bad brother,i dident know you have an actual vanilla plant
how hard is that to grow besides the pollination part? is she in the ground or are you growing it in a container?
fresh vanilla is from another world,man
a friend makes her own and it has this depth of flavor that is unbelievable
by flasking do you mean propagating by using tissue culture?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
so my friend sent me the new pictures of the plants we have on his patio
they are all doing nicely in spite of the heat
/i tell him to keep the well watered and they get a nice constant breeze
so the break he called about wasnt that bad at all and looked like it was healing nicely
one thing im noticing is that all of the plants are starting to set flowers this past week (first week of august @ 32.71*N), the sunrise is at 6.06a and sunset is 7.43p; thats less than 12h dark cycle
but enough about that, lets get to the girls!

here are the T'twins; the tahoeOG clones i was gifted that we are calling rachael_T/T2

picture.php

View image in gallery

picture.php

View image in gallery

both are looking nice and growing well, nice color and leaf structure
one of the was the one that my friend split while training
just as i thought, it was with the grain of the fiber

not too bad at all and it looks like the wound healed up nicely, so i dont think its going to be any problem at all

the bhodi is looking nice and the flowers are starting to show their first dusting of resin

here is rachael_M, the malawi

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
and last we have the petote critical, aka rachael_P

she got off to a slow start but now sheis really hitting her stride and growing well
this was the one i let my friend try sprouting, next time i will start the plants myself and then bring him the plants

its been really warm these past few weeks and we are in for a big jump in temp this monday/tuesday
he keeps them well watered and they have a nice breeze so im not too worried
cant wait to see how they look next week

//i split the message into two posts so i could fit in the last image

Rodehazrd

Lookin good poprocks
He's getting some good advice.
Here is a shot over the ridge of my tubs and the shorty65. I put two bangi in each tub and had three males. I replaced the ones in the empty tub with a LBL cross and an ak47 f2 of my own and left the Bangi alone in the 30 gal.
I put three in the shorty and they are all showing girl preflowers. the one on the right was a twin had two sprouts to start with. I topped the main one and left the weaker twin alone. I am ready to get cuts of them and don't know if I should even mess with the twin.

Thats the solar air pump in the tubs bubbling the water in the bottom tub.

Attachments

• IMG_2480 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2480 - Copy.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2482 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2482 - Copy.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 4

Fiddynut

Greetings friends.

I'm sorry that I've not been around and able to keep up with the conversation the last few days. This week and last week are the busiest of the year for me and I'm allowed unlimited overtime so I've been working myself pretty thin. But I gotta make the cash while I can so if I can make it another few days then I'll be in the clear. I've been busy in the jungle lately too. Between the moms and the plants in flower it seems like something needs water, tying up or some other attention every day. The clones for the next flower run are starting to show root bumps after just over a week in the cloner. I also started some new seeds for the run after next. I've grown bodhi strains the last few runs so I'm going to change things up a bit and run some of Tony Greens gorilla bubble (GG4xsour bubble). I ran some a year ago and ended up with a nice yeild of some really potent and tasty flower. I still had a few beans from the original bx1f1 and I'm really looking forward to seeing what I'll end up with. I only popped 4 beans so we will see how many lady's I end up with.

@pop_rocks. All the Rachel's are looking great bud. I'm glad that the little break is all healed and did t slow the plant down any. You can really see the flowers popping out of the plants. Sounds like your buddy is really enjoying these plants and learning a lot.

@Badfishy. That's really cool that you are spreading the love and beauty with orchids around town. Like pop said graffiti can be art as well and shouldn't always be viewed negatively. I think it's kind of pretty, usually more so then the boring surroundings.

@Rodehazrd. Looking great man. I love the color on your plants.

Last edited:

packerfan79

Veteran
Well jungle mates,

Didn't wind up getting the pineapple hashplant. I got J1x 88g13hp. J1 is Jack Herer x skunk 1. I grew the j1 for a few years, it worked wonders for my back. I may put these away. I am thinking the double dos-i-do pie next.

I am going to flip the headbanger, granola funk, and cobra lips next week. I need to do some light proofing this weekend, and I should be ready to go.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
thanks for the kind words guys, i cant wait to sample some of the outdoor
at the rate they are going, it shouldent be too long before the first plants come down

those ladies are looking great rode'
how much longer do you think they have in veg? they look like they are going to be heavy in their yield and i hope they bring you lots of joy!
i love the solar powered air pump, man! can you describe your set up in a little more detail?

kick ass fiddy! overtime is when the money gets sweet, but they tax the shit out of it here in cali
/just like everything else
like you said, make that money while you can brother
how long have you had the tony green seeds?
i remember when he used to post here on IC_Mag and was always curious about his gear
are you going to hold any clones of the older stuff or do you just move on?
btw, how is the ol'lady doing? i hope you guys are having a great summer, do you have any date nights planned?

sounds like a good mix in the garden, p'fan
ive never even heard of cobra lips so i hope you can post up a pic or two
the new cross sounds dank! ive grown out G13 back in the day and its one of those plants i wish i held onto
double dos-i-do pie sounds like an interesting cross as well, have you had a chance to sample the finished product?
even if you werent able to get the strain you were hoping for, it sounds like you have some good stuff in the pipeline!
hope your summer is kicking ass and everyone is digging on the new place

so we watch the new thor the other day
im not really a big fan of comic book superheros, but this was a really fun movie
a decent story line and some cool effects, its one would definitely recommend watching

Fiddynut

Well jungle mates,

Didn't wind up getting the pineapple hashplant. I got J1x 88g13hp. J1 is Jack Herer x skunk 1. I grew the j1 for a few years, it worked wonders for my back. I may put these away. I am thinking the double dos-i-do pie next.

I am going to flip the headbanger, granola funk, and cobra lips next week. I need to do some light proofing this weekend, and I should be ready to go.

Good afternoon Packerfan.

I remember getting a couple p's of J1 a few years ago and it was some really nice buds, some of the nicest that ever came my way here in this neck of the woods. Most of what was sent this way was the stuff that the peeps in Cali, colarado and the east cost didn't want. J1 crossed with the 88g sounds great. I'm going to stock up on 88g crosses on my next order.
Keep us posted on how things go after the flip and post up some pics if you get a chance. We will both have granola funk in flower at the same time.