What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Techniques for turning shatter to crumble

pusbag

I generally make shatter but have a request for some crumble and im sitting in a little excess shatter. Curious what techniques people have used to turn shatter into nice dry crumble. Please no troll comments like on facebook forums thanking you all in advance. Russ

blastfrompast

Veteran
heat and high vac will definately cause wax if thats what your looking for...

Buddy used to make his by just leaving a folded up piece of shatter in parchment on top of his ballast once the ALL the butane was purged....leave it for a day.....come back to crumbly wax...

some people are wierd lol

Gtir

heat and high vac will definately cause wax if thats what your looking for...

Buddy used to make his by just leaving a folded up piece of shatter in parchment on top of his ballast once the ALL the butane was purged....leave it for a day.....come back to crumbly wax...

some people are wierd lol

I'm my limited experience, heat has never worked for me, I just pull a muffin and drop the temp while holding a vaccum then release the vaccum once the temp has dropped to room temp then I end up w a honeycomb wax.

Old Gold

I'm my limited experience, heat has never worked for me, I just pull a muffin and drop the temp while holding a vaccum then release the vaccum once the temp has dropped to room temp then I end up w a honeycomb wax.
Sometimes "heat" is still only 35°C in my case.
Enough to keep it slightly molten.

^That works for me too, but in my experiences, if done too early, I am left with a super thin "Honeycomby" brittle shatter muffin that is very hard for anyone to handle. I can always melt it down into shatter and/or finish it as I stated to crumble. Material dependency probably..

Gtir

How would increasing heat do anything but melt it? And how can you end up with bubbles that create the honeycomb w out leaving butane? I don't get it.

Old Gold

I have finished two slabs of the same batch of live resin within 2-3hrs of each other (roughly 100 hour purge I believe), and the only difference was that when I determined they were butane-free, I did some magika alkemy where I folded the slab over itself and let it melt through back to uniformity at 5°F higher than I purged it as "shatter". I did this over and over for 30 min until waxes not only nucleated, but became cancerous. Then pulled a vacuum to my desired level (not even down to -29.5" Hg) and wam blam over a couple hours I had some nice bright golden Honeycomb. The shatter slab was left clear as quartz.

gumby420

I folded the slab over itself and let it melt through back to uniformity at 5°F higher than I purged it as "shatter". I did this over and over for 30 min until waxes not only nucleated, but became cancerous. Then pulled a vacuum to my desired level (not even down to -29.5" Hg) and wam blam over a couple hours I had some nice bright golden Honeycomb. The shatter slab was left clear as quartz.[/quote]

what did you do over and over? folded the slab?

Old Gold

gumby420 said:
what did you do over and over? folded the slab?

Folded it over, and let it melt back to a thin slab. Folded itnover, then let it melt out large and flat again. It's like whipping, just how I do it in the latest stages..

gumby420

Folded it over, and let it melt back to a thin slab. Folded itnover, then let it melt out large and flat again. It's like whipping, just how I do it in the latest stages..

ok cool thanks. ive been having a ridiculously hard time making crumble and ive tried pretty much every method ive seen. its driving me nuts. haha im about ready to start saying sorry i only make shatter.

Old Gold

Everything is slab dependant...sometimes I make crumble by pulling to my pump's full capacity for way too long (7 days), or sometimes it's a very fine touch of heat, low vacuum and the right agitation. At least 40 to 50 Torr down to 8 Torr. Sometimes 2 or 3.

gumby420

Everything is slab dependant...sometimes I make crumble by pulling to my pump's full capacity for way too long (7 days), or sometimes it's a very fine touch of heat, low vacuum and the right agitation. At least 40 to 50 Torr down to 8 Torr. Sometimes 2 or 3.

thanks for the help. i finally made a nice looking honeycomb cookie after about 6 months of trial and error. i folded it over a bunch of times, basically until i saw some nucleation occurring, cranked the oven up 15* higher than i purged for shatter and pulled a vac to -27 and 24 hrs later i have a great solid cookie. thanks for the advice!!

xizqu

Whip and vac! Whip for 5 minutes(I've had success at whipping for a literal minute but it's not always), best if it has a few nucleation points, then throw in the oven.

I've had to whip up to 5 times but each whip you lose terps so I mostly whip stuff with small bits of nuclation because it'll turn faster.

Next decide if you want a budder chips or crumble. Budder chips, don't vac, I just leave in the oven at 90F overnight. If you want full crumble then vac it over night. Even with no vac it'll expand about 20% (this is just an estimate ) but full crumble will look like it's muffining again, you know it's done when you drop the vac and the "muffin" stays. You'll have to whip again if it drops when you deflate.

TerpChild

2 thumbs up on the folding tech, works every time for me. Fold and fold and fold, melt down, fold fold fold, melt down, pull vac at about 115F to 29.5hg

frazierk

To make honeycomb I take shatter/pull 'n snap and roll it and squeeze it until it becomes soft and you can stretch and fold it in your hands like taffy. You can do it anytime along the purge as long as its not so sticky that it sticks all over your gloves. If you pull a muffin with the cotton candy tech sometimes you can do it straight out of the collection pot. Once it's soft I twist/stretch/fold until it becomes lighter in color, sometimes gold depending on the strain and starting consistency. Then I either roll it into a spiral (if its relatively stable) or fold it into a ball (if it stays soft) and place it in a vac oven between room temp - 80 F, again depending on strain and stability. I let it warm up for anywhere between 5-30 minutes, until it starts to melt together or fall down a little. Once it starts to melt down on itself i pull a vac to about -25" - -28", once the bubbles expand a bit but not pulling so hard that it collapses on itself and hold it there. Then about every half hour or so i pull another 1/4" to 1/2" of vacuum until it gets to be the size I want and it will eventually stabilizes. Sometimes it takes a day or two and sometimes it takes a week.