What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

No way this works? "Toms tumble trimmer"

tomstumbletrimm

Just to explain a little more how it works. The product tumbles over itself and like a rock tumbler it polishes the trim off as the product hits each other, but product also is manicured when trim hits the soft net material and gets caught and falls through the net into the bag.
So, it is a combination of the product hitting the net and each other which works so great. Where with other motorized machines with metal blades, they are naturally more abrasive.
Regarding how dry the product should be, the trim should be almost brittle while keeping the bud a tiny bit moist so it is less affected and you lose minimum crystals. This is not hard to get the product in that state since the leaf matter always dries faster. Please, I encourage anyone to call me for more details. I stand behind this product 1000% because as simple as it looks, it works great for a reasonable price. And I use furniture grade PVS pipe, with aluminum drums and high quality velcro and netting material which is washable and will last a long time. I hope you do buy one because you will become an ally for me since it does work great for a reasonable price. Thanks for your input.

Tom

First of all in that video there's no way that's a pound of material and they advertise 1-2 pounds in the video. Looks more like 8 oz of airy / fluffy buds. I want to see an uncut video of you putting 2 pounds in that unit. And buds get all stuck in the net when it's spinning and there's no big buds in there either which makes it even more suspect.

But guess what, because this unit is so cheap, I'm going to buy one myself just to show you guys that this thing is garbage and I'll shoot an uncut video. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it and eat my words but I doubt I'll be wrong.

So now I ask a simple question to Tom. How dry in rH do you want the product to be before I put the product into your unit? Please give me a range to work with.

EsterEssence

Veteran
So no pic of how much kief falls off from say 5 lbs. Doesn't seem to be much better than putting buds dried the same into a paper bag, and shaking the buds around to knock the last bits of leaf off. I have a real problem with people tumbling buds before they are offered as medicine...

Snype

Veteran
Just to explain a little more how it works. The product tumbles over itself and like a rock tumbler it polishes the trim off as the product hits each other, but product also is manicured when trim hits the soft net material and gets caught and falls through the net into the bag.
So, it is a combination of the product hitting the net and each other which works so great. Where with other motorized machines with metal blades, they are naturally more abrasive.
Regarding how dry the product should be, the trim should be almost brittle while keeping the bud a tiny bit moist so it is less affected and you lose minimum crystals. This is not hard to get the product in that state since the leaf matter always dries faster. Please, I encourage anyone to call me for more details. I stand behind this product 1000% because as simple as it looks, it works great for a reasonable price. And I use furniture grade PVS pipe, with aluminum drums and high quality velcro and netting material which is washable and will last a long time. I hope you do buy one because you will become an ally for me since it does work great for a reasonable price. Thanks for your input.

Tom

Sounds good Tom! I'll be buying one pretty soon! Can't wait to try it out!

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
So no pic of how much kief falls off from say 5 lbs. Doesn't seem to be much better than putting buds dried the same into a paper bag, and shaking the buds around to knock the last bits of leaf off. I have a real problem with people tumbling buds before they are offered as medicine...

So long as both parties involved are in agreement to the quality and price of the cannabis I really don't see a problem with it.
It's not like anyone is concealing mold, pests, chemicals by doing a "machine trim" - that would be immoral. Using a machine is not. Just a tool to save time/money.

If someone wants to pay be top dollar for hand trimmed perfection I'll gladly oblige, but market research has already determined that people prefer cheaper price vs. quality time and time again. The majority of consumers are happy to sacrifice some trichs for a cheaper price. So what's the problem?

Aside from maybe tolerance reasons I don't believe buds to be any less "medicinal" just because they are slightly less frosty. The same compounds & cannabinoids still exist in both flowers, tumbled or hand trimmed.

Then again, I don't offer cannabis as medicine.. I just offer it as safe well grown cannabis. Just as you may have a problem with tumbled cannabis, others may have a problem with expensive cannabis. At what point is your medicine too expensive because of the amount of time & man power required come harvest time? Lots of market research says now. Most consumers want cheaper "medicine". Quality is already above and beyond what most consumers are familiar with.

Trimming to the standards that we do is really silly anyways. I'd much rather compensate for weight/price, leaving those frosty sugar leaves on there for the consumer to decide what they'd like to do with this "medicine". Meticulously trimming every little bud is ridiculous and does little for the end product besides make it look pretty and abuse it in the process (hand trimmers included).

In other countries cannabis is not trimmed like this. it's actually preferred "on the stick" as an assurance that it is real quality, as opposed to anybody's guess in a bag of loose bits, nugs, and pieces.

W

wegobigupnorth

Trimming to the standards we do really is kinda silly but I have to be honest I love nice trimmed nugs...They taste way better then if lots of sugar leaf is left on.

I just watched a video called "Acapulco Gold-1973" and jesus christ they did not trim the weed AT ALL back then! They called it "cleaning" (I hear lots of old hippies use that term still) and it is simply removing it off the big stock and sometimes they pick out the smaller stems and things but these guys were literally just taking the whole plant and bricking it up lol. It was so ugly looking...They did not realize you were only supposed to smoke the flowers I dont think. No idea how they got high but people loved it back then. Shows how snobby we really are these days!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I have used an 18&24 Budweiser box. tape up all the seams, leave one end foldable. hang the buds/branches/plant for (I go 10 days) until buds are crispy out side. cut off buds from stems, dump some in the box, close up the open end and shake vigorously. shake ends up in th bottom of the box, fish out the 'tumbled' buds..

toms tumbler seems workable to me...

Dollar

I know Tom or I should say I did know Tom until we had a disagreement and parted ways. Although I`m not too fond of him as a person and how he treats others, I do have to say the tumble trimmer works well. I the saw the prototype and watched it in action. For the time involved compared to an electric metal trimmer, probably not as efficient but close and the end product looks way better. Obviously not as good as if you hand trimmed it but much better than the metal trimmers.

I would consider buying it if i harvested more than 12 plants, but i dont grow more than 6 plants atm so hand trimming is more suited for me. I find hand trimming to be therapeutic for me but if i had a lot more plants at harvest i would get one.

tomstumbletrimm

Thanks "Dollar" for the positive remarks about the tomstumbletrimmer. You were inspirational in my efforts to market my invention. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sirdabsalot46n2

Veteran
For my personal grow, I actually thoroughly enjoy hand trimming the fruits of my labor.

Tedious? Indeed, But I feel a spiritual bond with my flowers after doing so.
I also prefer to leave the close sugar trim on, to wrap itself around the buds retaining robust aroma and flavor...

I find that my older friends that sample my methods appreciate the "appeal ".. While the acquaintances that are in my age group (mid 30s) and especially younger folks always have a negative connotation when they first see the Sugar Wrap.
"Man, what's up with all this trim?

Then later on..

"Damn dude, that bud is SOOO "loud"

Whoa... Sorry for the stoned rambling:biggrin:

My intent of this post was to simply point out the verbiage...

Calling Trichomes "Crystals "..
Let's not further add stigma to our sacred Cannabis..

This isn't Meth, nor Coke...
No disrespect intended.

DeceiverZ

Veteran
So is the consensus here that this product actually works as advertised?

Chop, pull fan leaves, hang to dry then shuck buds into tom's tumble trimmer and operate it for whatever desirable amount of time... Is this better with denser buds?

Before and after nug shots from members here who own it would be great!

-DZ

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
I made something very similar out of 1/2" plastic chicken wire type of netting & zip-ties. I used some large 24" pans that go under your hot water tank to fashion it into a giant netted cylinder.

I then drilled a hole in the middle of the pans and slid it onto a stick of pvc that hangs off of a work bench. I haven't actually spun it in a full rotation because I foolishly cut my door/hatch right in the middle, but I have used it to separate out some sugar leaf from some dense buds, and generally bust off a large portion of frosted leaf which ultimately allowed me to just do a quick once over before calling it done.

I sort of rock it back and forth a few times. No doubt a lot of trichs are dropped. I caught everything on a plastic sheet then gave it to my buddy to blast. In the future I'll toss a few of my trim bins under there to catch some trichs... or better yet bubblemans 2x3' screen sets.

Works pretty well. I could rotate it around with a dense variety until it was good to go, but it gives it that polished look and makes it look more like import. I haven't really been using it for that, but a few rocks to get the majority of the leaves off (+ separate) and then a bit of time thumbing through to get the remaining frosted bits off. Has definitely save some time.

I have no doubt Tom's machine here works... and you're in control of the look for the most part. I stop early on my homemade rig and finish by hand as going too long will get the job done, but give it that tumbled look. The key is using material that is not overly dry.. dense nugs that have some moisture in them, but set in 30% RH for a short period to brittle up their exterior..

..I hope that makes sense.

* This is not a review of Tom's Tumble Trimmer, but rather my own homemade unit I whipped up after seeing Tom's here. Here is an extremely shitty pic.

picture.php

HydeRowe

It makes me laugh when people think trimming bud by hand is going to still be around in the next decade when it comes to store bought/dispensary bud. Ain't gonna happen​

KONY

Veteran
So is the consensus here that this product actually works as advertised?

Chop, pull fan leaves, hang to dry then shuck buds into tom's tumble trimmer and operate it for whatever desirable amount of time... Is this better with denser buds?

Before and after nug shots from members here who own it would be great!

-DZ

I dont believe there has been any Consensus. Curious if Snype ever bought one.

paper thorn

Veteran
just read this thread, and to be honest, Tom is a lousy salesman.

Kudos to him for not cussing out the OP and keeping his cool.
But seriously, he does not seem to care about the machines he could sell by getting the peeps on this website on his side.

A decent video with details like true amount going in, size and density of tested product and a pic of any kif under the tumbler when complete, etc would go a long way to getting the IC mag stamp of approval. (I don't mean the site, but the peeps here.)

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Karma is a bitch.

word

How much you sellin' them 18bud tumblers for? Does it use any metal blades???

Look around, you might be able to help someone empty one and you might get the box for free. Best part is they are disposable, no blades to clean.:laughing:

Latest posts

Latest posts