What's new

Winterizing BHO with Everclear...

kingsolomon12

Included is a quick pic after only 12 hrs in the freezer...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 30

gliders420

I have another question for u guys. After my solution has been freezing all the waxes, lipids ect are clearly settling on the bottom of the container. Should I mix this up before filtering or do I want to pour & retain as much of the waxes etc in the container. Further more I am using a Buchner with Vac assist with medium filter papers (125mm). If I'm filtering roughly 250 ml at a time through the filter paper is this fine or should I be changing out the paper vs pouring all 250 ml through one ? Thank you guys in advance for any further input & I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving...

ive read people doing it both ways, shaking it up and mixing it, and also pouring it straight with the solution and waxes separated.

I would also like to know what is the best method.

ive read people doing it both ways, shaking it up and mixing it, and also pouring it straight with the solution and waxes separated.

I would also like to know what is the best method.

Don't shake

Shaking-->smaller wax pieces-->more surface area-->wax warms and redissolves faster into solution when pouring into the buchner

Wouldn't hurt to rig up a di/ipa cold jacket around the buchner if you're not removing the amount of waxes you expect

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have another question for u guys. After my solution has been freezing all the waxes, lipids ect are clearly settling on the bottom of the container. Should I mix this up before filtering or do I want to pour & retain as much of the waxes etc in the container. Further more I am using a Buchner with Vac assist with medium filter papers (125mm). If I'm filtering roughly 250 ml at a time through the filter paper is this fine or should I be changing out the paper vs pouring all 250 ml through one ? Thank you guys in advance for any further input & I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving...

Don't mix it up. Change out the filter when it blinds.

gliders420

I winterized a few batches, but it's not becoming stable at all, it's all gooey and sticky still, anyone know why? I've winterized some really poopy stuff and it's become stable shatter

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I winterized a few batches, but it's not becoming stable at all, it's all gooey and sticky still, anyone know why? I've winterized some really poopy stuff and it's become stable shatter

Carboxylic acids are hard and brittle at ambient temperatures, and can be looser from retained solvent, high mono and sesquiterpene levels, and decarboxylation.

gliders420

So material can be too old to be stable, even if winterized?

I may be wrong, but aren't the two causes of decarboxylation heat or age?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So material can be too old to be stable, even if winterized?

I may be wrong, but aren't the two causes of decarboxylation heat or age?

Yes, naterial decarboxylates naturally with drying and age.

It also loses monoterpenes, which are alcohols, ethers, aldehydes, ketones, esters and carboxylic acids themselves.

TracerChris

we do a gram to test how much is in our bho..

outdoors has lots more wax then indoors ive found.. so outdoors gets dewaxed 99% of the time.. compared to indoors for me..

woah! that's a gem of information right there. First time hearing about this and it makes a lot of sense too. Thanks for the info JO Your method for determining whether it is worth it to use a 2nd solvent is very helpful.

goolash

Hi guys, unless i'm misunderstanding, it sounds like you're talking about cleaning up finished bho using etho and winterization?

I extract with butane, add everclear (a ratio of 2:1 butane:everclear) - and i've been doing this method forever, and im thinking perhaps im wasting a lot of everclear. Because i don't necessarily know what the final oil yield will be, it's hard to guage using the ratios listed above in this thread. Anyways after the reaction is finished, i put it in the freezer overnight, strain it, evap on ptfe, vac it, and have slabs of lovely winterized shatter.

Im always looking to improve my technique starting with getting ready to pull the trigger on an mk III very soon, but i'd love any insight on the amount of everclear.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi guys, unless i'm misunderstanding, it sounds like you're talking about cleaning up finished bho using etho and winterization?

I extract with butane, add everclear (a ratio of 2:1 butane:everclear) - and i've been doing this method forever, and im thinking perhaps im wasting a lot of everclear. Because i don't necessarily know what the final oil yield will be, it's hard to guage using the ratios listed above in this thread. Anyways after the reaction is finished, i put it in the freezer overnight, strain it, evap on ptfe, vac it, and have slabs of lovely winterized shatter.

Im always looking to improve my technique starting with getting ready to pull the trigger on an mk III very soon, but i'd love any insight on the amount of everclear.

The amount of everclear depends on what is present in the raw oleoresin. You must have enough that it still flows like alcohol at 0F, rather than like thin oil.

goolash

The amount of everclear depends on what is present in the raw oleoresin. You must have enough that it still flows like alcohol at 0F, rather than like thin oil.

Part of me trying to figure this out, is that when i do have my cls, i want to be able to know how much etho to add to the shatter platter, but maybe it's just an eyeball thing and i'm trying to be too much of a scientist about it?

I'll give you a recent example. I used about 112 grams of dried flowers, and had 1L of liquid butane after blasting. I added 500ML of everclear (as i've always done), and once i did the rest of the process, that ended up being around 24 grams of shatter. Evaping that much etho for only 24 grams - i wonder if i'm using far more everclear than i need to. 500 ML is a LOT of liquid to evap down to a puddle that was 24gs after vac - so i wondered if i could have achieved the same result with 100ml or 200ml - i'm eager to learn.

I'm not sure how the solubility of oleoresin is affected by amount of etho - can too much be bad? Thanks in advance

piper434

Is there any way to recover the everclear when winterizing, rather than just evap?
For edibles and such I just use my still to reclaim, but what about keeping it cool and non-decarbed?

Thanks!

TracerChris

I'm sure you could design something to recover it. Similar to a Closed Loop System for Butane recovery. If anybody has any experience with this I'd be curious to learn more.

Dang Piper, I remember doing that not too long ago. Gathering claim is seriously a labor of love.

Daub Marley

You can just vacuum distill it. You'll need a magnetic stirrer hot plate. The other way is a rotovap but they are expensive.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Part of me trying to figure this out, is that when i do have my cls, i want to be able to know how much etho to add to the shatter platter, but maybe it's just an eyeball thing and i'm trying to be too much of a scientist about it?

I'll give you a recent example. I used about 112 grams of dried flowers, and had 1L of liquid butane after blasting. I added 500ML of everclear (as i've always done), and once i did the rest of the process, that ended up being around 24 grams of shatter. Evaping that much etho for only 24 grams - i wonder if i'm using far more everclear than i need to. 500 ML is a LOT of liquid to evap down to a puddle that was 24gs after vac - so i wondered if i could have achieved the same result with 100ml or 200ml - i'm eager to learn.

I'm not sure how the solubility of oleoresin is affected by amount of etho - can too much be bad? Thanks in advance

If it still flows like alcohol at 0F, then you have enough. If it flows like oil with some alcohol in it, add more.

How much you add doesn't affect the oleoresin, but how you remove it does.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is there any way to recover the everclear when winterizing, rather than just evap?
For edibles and such I just use my still to reclaim, but what about keeping it cool and non-decarbed?

Thanks!

What DM said.

You can boil at lower temperatures under vacuum.