What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$5.90 mini digital hygrometer

Taxman

Hey guys,

I wanted to follow Simon's perfect cure guide, so I went shopping at DealExtreme and came across these inexpensive hygrometers.

Thought I'd share the link with everyone.

I picked up three of them to try out on my next batch. Here they are on my counter next to a handy tape measure:

149q2l.jpg

My A/C kicked on just before this photo was taken so all three were slowly decreasing in RH% at the time. They have all been within 1% of each other since I got them, so that's good. There's no way to switch to fahrenheit, so I suppose that's one drawback if you're metrically-challenged.

Anyway, they're $6 bucks a pop and they offer free shipping worldwide so why not?! I've already ordered 3 more after being satisfied with the build quality and size.

This place rules by the way -- it's like the dollar store of the Internet! Tons of shit, all super cheap.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
These hygrometers are a good value. They read consistently, albeit a bit high, IME. I'd suggest using a Caliber III to gauge the ebay hygrometers, and one should be good to go.

Simon

BET

Same ones I use on my cure. Work a treat. Get them off ebay as well - its where I got mine.

OldSkoolKlein

Thanks for that idea of using a Calibre III as a benchmark for these $6 ones simon! This will be on my shopping list now. Thanks.

Pwyll

Not as reliable or as accurate as the Calibers. Also difficult to change the batteries. I think the ones fitted into the mason jar lids are a better value.

G

I bought 4 of the small digital ones off amazon last year and just changed batteries preemptively. Not hard at all. Plus I have checked calibration a couple times. Put them in a mason jar for a couple days with Boveda packs and use a silver sharpie to put a hash mark for each point they are off and they have been consistent. They ranged from 2 to 4 points high but since marking them and rechecking them last week they are solid. And I have 2 of the Acurite wifi sensors tied to the base unit that I monitor on my PC anywhere. They hold solid and you can put an offset in them for humidity and temp by PC as well.

G

Not as reliable or as accurate as the Calibers. Also difficult to change the batteries. I think the ones fitted into the mason jar lids are a better value.
I got 4 that are just as repeatable for about the price of one of the calibers. Quality has improved in less expensive ones.