What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

any Jeep lovers on here?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
am currently fixing up my latest of 6 jeeps. a mid 90s Wrangler w/minor damage from a "snow-rolling" last winter. :biggrin: moron driving thought that "four-wheel drive" meant "no worries, do whatever...":laughing: the last two winters were the first in my life i did not have a 4wd available in winter time. now, i HOPE it is a snowy season...:tiphat:

Green Squall

I wouldn't be lying if I said I get a little excited every time I see a Jeep Wagoneer

jeep-wagoneer-wallpaper-2-660x400.jpg

ic

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i am dealing with ECM problems at the moment. sometimes it is 5 or 10 minutes after turning key on before the "brain" turns on the electronics - ignition, fuel system etc. until the "check engine" light comes on, motor will turn over like a champ but will not start. finally figured out that it is 3 fifty cent capacitors in ECM that are going bad. waiting on them to arrive in the mail. if it works, it will save me around $300 for an ECM. see "jeep ECM brain surgery" on Youtube if you ever have similar problems...:tiphat:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
'86 CJ7
don't have pics.
had trouble recently missing badly, choking out.
thought it was bad gas. removed the air filter to get at carb and it was packed with moss and lichens around the outside of filter...i believe chipmonks wanted to nest there.
apparently fouled the filter so bad it went into the carburetor and clogged it up.
this after spending $3K on new tires, complete brake job, new exhaust, oil change, blah blah blah.
had it since '92. best purchase ever. love 4wheeling.

Gone Camping

i am dealing with ECM problems at the moment. sometimes it is 5 or 10 minutes after turning key on before the "brain" turns on the electronics - ignition, fuel system etc. until the "check engine" light comes on, motor will turn over like a champ but will not start. finally figured out that it is 3 fifty cent capacitors in ECM that are going bad. waiting on them to arrive in the mail. if it works, it will save me around $300 for an ECM. see "jeep ECM brain surgery" on Youtube if you ever have similar problems...:tiphat:

There's a guy on fleabay reconditioning ECM's.. very reasonable too. I had a ZJ that wouldn't start till the capacitors warmed..

There's also a large thread on JeepForum also..

'86 CJ7
don't have pics.
had trouble recently missing badly, choking out.
thought it was bad gas. removed the air filter to get at carb and it was packed with moss and lichens around the outside of filter...i believe chipmonks wanted to nest there.
apparently fouled the filter so bad it went into the carburetor and clogged it up.
this after spending $3K on new tires, complete brake job, new exhaust, oil change, blah blah blah.
had it since '92. best purchase ever. love 4wheeling.

Look into a Weber carb swap, the late CJ and early YJ carbs are emissions choked and don't run worth a damn.

Another Jeep fanatic here too.. :tiphat:

shithawk420

Veteran
had a wagoneer.currently have a 98 cherokee sport cause it was free.wagoneer was a big piece of shit.this 98 sucks but its a straight 6.otherwise its a piece of shit.rust out the yinyang.fuck jeeps.get a toyota.i got the same problem with my jeep too AOH.the only reason jeep has a good rep is because we used them in ww2.sorry guys but they suck.just IMO

N

NBE One !

Yes , A-O-H

Yes , A-O-H

Had a 4.0 Grand Cherokee limited.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
lots of folks like the straight 6 cylinder jeep motors. if you have a GOOD one, okay. BUT...they made quite a few that had poor quality castings and some oil passages were nearly completely blocked. had the misfortune of owning one of those. had the same cylinder drop a valve TWICE because of insufficient oil flow before my mechanic told me. if i had my "druthers" i would buy & rebuild one of the Buick v-6 225" motors they used to put in CJs years ago. strong as an ox, good gas mileage.:woohoo:

N

NBE One !

(-:, Yup - A,O,H. All 6 inline ! Less than 7 yrs ago Iye had posted pic's, can't locate them at the mo' tho /-:

Iy'd always had small vehicles, not ever having much money, so was Super made-uP in getting this, was £1300 10 yrs ago, so Quite Cheap,remember catchin' the train up north, a little place under Newcastle ( upon Tyne )... To meet the guy at the Station , n drove it back ...
Anyway :-D , I'll get back to this. (((-;
Just saying.Ma Money management IS becoming more Successful ! ((:);

Alwayz loved the smooth powerful sound of the 4.0 , but the sound of the Gurggling V8's Really took my Fancy, (; sure the smallest was 4.6 , then 5.8 - 6.2 . oOH the joy of these vehicles. That's until iy was in slow moving traffic ! ...
Little computer said 7MPG !!!!! !!

Iye know where the Manual/brochure is tho that a later purchased. Covered in Spider (Stuff) /: .But here -

; yep 5.2 as well. Amongst other things Armrest etc loved how roomy they were inside.First ever Automatic ; - Goodbye manual Forever... . yep, hawk , Toyota hilux They reckoned was the best 4x4 . I wanna that Humvee ((:)

Last edited:

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Had a 46 willys. It had a Ford v8. No idea what the displacement was. It was a fkn beater but it hauled ass! This is back when you could buy them so cheap you could just leave it in the middle of the Mohave desert because it wouldn't start and never think about it again until one day, years and years later you see a thread with jeep in the title.haha

It was possibly the most dangerous vehicle in the world!

There's a guy on YouTube with an old flat fender jeep with a psycho Corvette mill in it. It's pretty crazy. No windshield at 160 mph would be trippy. I've gone that fast on a bike and close to that in a vette but it would be wild in that thing with no doors, roll bar and windshield. I'm not sure how much help they would be if things went south but....

armedoldhippy

Veteran
found a Jeep Cherokee once for sale that had a Jeep 327 motor in it. that was what the valve covers had on them in big block letters.:woohoo: a damn 3 on the column with it, & a blown head gasket or i would have given the guy the $700 he was asking...never seen another one, & that was thirty years ago.:comfort: dammit!

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
fuel injection kits .......good option.......especially when traversing hills......doesn't stall out like a carb.........

I like the four banger in a 40's Willy's ........not much for highway speed, but will crawl over logs all day.......