What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

You have the right to remain silent

Y

yamaha_1fan

JJScorpio said:
To be honest a cop can hurt you further.

Many times if a plea gargain is presented the Judge or DA will ask the cop how you acted during the time of your arrest. I have seen plea bargains denied because an accused threatened the cop during his or her arrest. Cops also confer quite often with the DA regarding what charges they might add or dismiss against the accused.

That's why it's important to be very polite when excercising your rights. Not only can running your mouth get you maced, beat down and charged with resisting arrest, but it can also hurt you come sentencing as to whether or not you go to jail.

I have a story to tell that might help someone. I had a friend who would always play the cops like a violin. Anytime we were talked to by the police he would always tell them that he was "mildly mentally retarded" and he couldn't understand what they were saying. If they continued he would pretend to be upset and tell them "they were picking on him because he was a retard". After this they would immediately leave him alone. Even when other cops came they would tell them he was retarded and to not question him. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but I can tell you it sure got them off his back, lol.....

I dont know, in my cases the cops were not involved. We had a hearing trying to throw out the search warrant and only questions directly related to the case were asked. It may depend on the city, or county. My cases were in some very large cities.

Its all irrelevent anyway. There is NOTHING you can say to stop yourself from getting arrested. Once the cop decides to arrest you, you are going to have a shitty 24 hours. Get a good lawyer and let him/her be your mouth.

JJScorpio said:
I have a story to tell that might help someone. I had a friend who would always play the cops like a violin. Anytime we were talked to by the police he would always tell them that he was "mildly mentally retarded" and he couldn't understand what they were saying. If they continued he would pretend to be upset and tell them "they were picking on him because he was a retard". After this they would immediately leave him alone. Even when other cops came they would tell them he was retarded and to not question him. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but I can tell you it sure got them off his back, lol.....

I always like reading your posts JJ. Either they're informative or funny like this one. I bet that retarded act only works well for some players. (But I guess if I had had enough weed it would probably work well for me too.)

It's a downer to think about getting friction from the cops or even getting arrested, but I have to agree with all the advice in this thread.

As for being polite to cops, and this also goes for the guy who would joke with cops about buying a key, etc., I can buy that. People respond more to sugar than vinegar, innit?

Although if you're a charismatic of some kind you could possibly get the upper hand over a cop just by talking to them. Because while cops lie, guess what, they're not the only ones. For instance, look at the current season (4) of Weeds, where all the guys that got busted with the growhouse did talk to police, but told them a bullshit story about Celia being the ringleader (which was believed because it was corroborated by so many people). However the generic response/advice for people is probably to remain silent.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cozy Amnesia said:
Everything said here is all very true and helpful. But when the shit hits the fan and you're really baked, it is really hard to not give in to the pigs lies and exercise you're rights.

I'm talking from experience. I had just moved into my dorm room and had no one to smoke with and no car so I thought I'd just blow the smoke out of the window. Right after getting a little too high, a cop knocked on my front door because someone living down the hall smelled weed coming from my room. My blood turned to ice. I felt pure horror for the first time in my life.

I went into the hallway and closed the door behind me. He told me why he was here and I told him that I couldn't help him and that I wouldn't let him in. He told me that I would be kicked out of here if I didn't cooperate and then HE STARTED READING ME MY RIGHTS! At this point I was scared shitless and forgot all about protecting my rights. I was certain that no matter what I did he would search my room. I had some poppy pods (that I bought legally local but illegally prepared them for consumption) that I didn't want him to find, so I just opened the door and we walked in and I handed him the pot and the bong (which I spilled bong water out of because I was so high and frazzled from the experience) hoping that he would just take it and leave. Well he didn't, not after writing me a citation.

Listen people, be prepared! I was not. I gave into his lies, and payed for it. But I had the last laugh :muahaha: (another story for another time).

That is 100 percent true for most people who have never had an encounter with a police officer. That's why it's very important to take a few minutes and run the scenario through your head. Picture yourself saying " I'm sorry but I would like to excercise my right to remain silent and to have a Lawyer present before saying anything". At this point you are likely to be told that if you ask for a lawyer "he won't be able to help you". Ignore this comment completely. Or anything else. As much as you want to believe they are being honest and really want to help you. He doesn't. Immediately make another request to remain silent. If the officer persists, remind him he isn't supposed to say another word to you once you ask for a lawyer. That will usually get it through their heads to say nothing more.

At this point the cop might try the "if you would have let me help you, I probably could have kept you out of jail", bullshit story. Don't fall for it. Most newbies cave in here. They are so afraid they are going to jail that they squeel like hell on anyone and everyone involved. This is where you either prove yourself to be a man, or a spineless snitch. Do the smart thing and thank them for offering to help you, but you haven't done anything wrong and you want a lawyer. If you decide to rat other people out to save your ass, remember you have to look at yourself for the rest of your life. The cops also hate rats and will be sure to get you later and "slip" to the others you were the rat. They may also try the "your friends signed statements against you and this is your last chance to save your ass" trick. This is pretty self explanitory. It's a good idea to discuss these things with your friends and remind each other to keep quiet no matter what.

All you need to remember is this one sentence."I wish to remain silent and I would like an attorney".

Shlomo

Heh heh don't even say you haven't done anything wrong.

Sometimes, though, being polite has its limits. Case in point: in my early twenties, for a period, every time the cops detained me they would try and take my picture. This happened five times out of six encounters of the blue kind, while I awaited trial (again :rolleyes:). Every time this happened, I blocked my face or, if in cuffs, bent my head forward against my chest so they could only take a picture of my hair. They would say shit like, "they're gonna take a picture of you at the station anyway," and I would reply, "Then use that one, then." They always backed off - I think it can be construed as harassment.

What the fuck, eh?

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the UK is was accepted that 'suspects' could answer "No Comment" during police questioning for many a long year. Unfortunately the UK government changed the law on this during the 1990s. Failing to answer police questions (while under arrest) is now considered an admission of guilt. :no:

Unfortunately certain police officers also consider themselves 'above the law' ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfQrDK9YHas

...Know your rights!!!

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NEVER let them take prints until after you've been confirmed arrested! and protested!

eager police-ppl will try and take finger-prints ,, even if you haven't done anything wrong yet,,

ALWAYS REFUSE THEM THIS PRIVELEGE !!!

peace :joint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2R0H-Tmnr4

Last edited:
S

sneakyninja

JJScorpio said:
If the officer persists, remind him he isn't supposed to say another word to you once you ask for a lawyer. That will usually get it through their heads to say nothing more.

Are there any legal ramifications/rules regarding this or is just meant to be police procedure?

Just thinking about this and how it would be easier to just type up a card that I can show the police officer, and not even have to say a single word until consulting with a lawyer if the worst was to happen.

If it were law that they dont talk to you/harass you after this then a line on the card mentioning this would be sure to keep them quiet.

Thanks,
SN

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
JJScorpio said:
That is 100 percent true for most people who have never had an encounter with a police officer. That's why it's very important to take a few minutes and run the scenario through your head. Picture yourself saying " I'm sorry but I would like to excercise my right to remain silent and to have a Lawyer present before saying anything". At this point you are likely to be told that if you ask for a lawyer "he won't be able to help you". Ignore this comment completely. Or anything else. As much as you want to believe they are being honest and really want to help you. He doesn't. Immediately make another request to remain silent. If the officer persists, remind him he isn't supposed to say another word to you once you ask for a lawyer. That will usually get it through their heads to say nothing more.

Nice thread JJ

Totally agree here with JJ. As a youngster, early twenties, going to jail was scary you did anything to get bailed out immediately from the holding tank sometimes called the drunk tank, cold as ice and a nice metal bed with 5 or 6 other mostly intoxicated people. You will do anything to skip the,"Time to put the orange jump suit and flip flops on" period.

One time I got pinched for something minor wont get into it but I just decided fuck it I go to jail for the night and wait for my arraignment (no money and did not want to bother someone in the middle of the night) in the morning. Once you get past that initial fear you can handle the wait for the lawyer. It’s the initial shock of the orange jump suit that gets people to start talking.

Y

yamaha_1fan

hamstring said:
JJScorpio said:

Nice thread JJ

Totally agree here with JJ. As a youngster, early twenties, going to jail was scary you did anything to get bailed out immediately from the holding tank sometimes called the drunk tank, cold as ice and a nice metal bed with 5 or 6 other mostly intoxicated people. You will do anything to skip the,"Time to put the orange jump suit and flip flops on" period.

One time I got pinched for something minor wont get into it but I just decided fuck it I go to jail for the night and wait for my arraignment (no money and did not want to bother someone in the middle of the night) in the morning. Once you get past that initial fear you can handle the wait for the lawyer. It’s the initial shock of the orange jump suit that gets people to start talking.

I have been to jail a few times, sometimes charges changed and I had to be rebooked, etc. I can tell you the first 24-48 hours are the WORST. Sleeping on the floor, no shower, limited phone time and a complete sense of uncertainity. Once you get processed, and assigned to a permanent location, things go much smoother. It still sucks but the first 24-48 hours are the absolute WORST.

casualtoker

Excellent advice, thanks guys. I've had the knock and talk once before and now I just don't answer the door. If they have evidence of illegal activity, they won't be knocking....

BOOSTEDseven

quick question.

Do you have to give your name or any info to the police officers??

example #1: You are walking along minding your own business, and LEO (law
enforcement officer) want to check you out.. asking name birthdate address?
- Answer or No?

example #2: you are in the police station, they are doing paper work. They ask
for your name, address, birthdate, social security #. ANSWER?? or just remain
silent until you meet with a lawyer??

thanks..

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the US you HAVE to tell a police officer your name. If asked you also have to give a BRIEF description of why you are in an area.....

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
mermonkey said:
i had un-uniformed cops come to my house and tell me that if i didn't let them in they were going to pick my child up from school and place her in protective services. they claimed to already have evidence against me. my attorney told me that cooperating made it possible for him to get me a deal. i ended up with 3 weeks road crew and a $105 fine for 200+ plants and distribution. the real punishment was the $7500 legal bill. i still don't know if i could have gotten away with closing the door in their faces, once they threatened my kid i folded like a little bitch. priorities, eh?

do y'all think they were lying or can they involve family services before they place me under arrest? i still play that day over and over in my head.

I have to assume if they really had what they said they did they would have showed with a warrant. But as you say, threatening to remove your child from his home changes the rules. Looking out for your children is priority one and you should be proud of that. It's tough to gamble losing your children and having them live that trauma....

nut

BOOSTEDseven said:
quick question.

- Answer or No?

thanks..
In the u.k you do not have to give your name if you are stopped the only time you have to give your name is if you are driving a vehicle failing to do so will result in arrest, but if you are out walking and a copper stops you he must tell you why he stopped you and have good reason to search you e.g you fit a description of someone who as just committed a crime in that area or if they suspect you are carrying drugs etc they are then supposed to fill out a form to say why they stopped you and where and what time. you "DO NOT" have to say your name or address although this will make it almost imposable to be granted bail until you have been up in front of the judge usually 9am the next day :cool: if you have done nothing wrong they "CAN NOT" arrest for failing to give out details about your self so do not be fooled by this.

if you have an house full off weed tell them you have no fixed abode and you live rough tell them anything just dont give your address for f***'s sake LOL

Ajunta Pall

BOOSTEDseven said:
quick question.

- Answer or No?

thanks..

In the US the police have the power to stop and question people who are not under arrest. In that case you should ONLY give your full name and address. Other than that, you don't have to say shit. If you don't identify yourself, the pigs can arrest you.

In example 2 you are under arrest, and telling the pigs your name is the least of your worries. The best thing for you to do once you have told the pigs who you are is to shut the fuck up and wait to speak to your lawyer.

From my experience, keeping your mouth shut and letting them do their job is key! I had a situation where a young cop arrested me and he talked me into giving myself up and i didnt even realize it! He told me if i didnt comply he would tell the judge.... well the asshole never even showed up in court!

Latest posts

Latest posts