What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Banana peel fert tea

Raven12141517

I have been using nothing but Espoma Garden Tone and pure ro water this whole grow which started in mid July, and is now between week 1 and week 2 of actual flower not from flip and I am noticing what I believe to be N, Ca, anf Mg deficiencies. I transplanted into 5 gal buckets on 09/05, and noticed the issues appearing and topdressed each bucket with 1/3c and watered in with 3/4 gal ro water yesterday 08/06. I am currently brewing a tea solution with 8 banana peels soaking in hot water in a mason jar and in sunlight for 24 hrs, then split peel mush and water between 2, then I added 1c ( 1/2c per jar) oystershell flower crums for chickens ground up into a powder, and 2 tbsp epsom salts per jar. After sitting and being shaken couple times a day for 3-4 days I planned to dilute with 2 gal ro water per jar and apply 1gal solution per 5gal bucket. Would this tea be beneficial as I am just getting into the 1st few weeks of flower, or is the 1/3c Garden Tone I topdressed and watered in sufficient for now? Any advice or input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

h.h.

Veteran
I understand the argument for using RO water in some cases. In my mind. you're missing out on a lot of minerals, including dissolved calcium and magnesium.

The Epsom salts should help. No need to dissolve.

Epsoma Tomato Tone has 8% calcium. Faster than the oyster shells.

Banana peels are well known for potassium. I'm not sure why. They're not a bad source but there are higher sources. Google.

With that I see your tea as pretty benign. Unless you overdo the Epsom salts, which you haven't.
The peels will add a bit of nutrition and may live up to the hype. (I'd use them) Organic bananas. The others use a lot of pesticides which may be absorbed into the peel.

Latest posts

Latest posts