What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Doing an Experiment, anyone want to try and stop me ?

growingcrazy

Yeah hawaii.

Your 5 years behind the curve then.

Real soil has no gimmick or marketing scheme. Have you ever grown in real soil? I would bet not if you still think a soil-less mix is superior. A farmer would laugh at our soil-less cluster f*ck of mixes.

I move thousands of vegetable seedlings every year, not a spec of perlite, or mined/produced aeration. This magic product called sand...you had an abundance in Hawaii. Your plant does not care about the weight of your mix, it actually wants the heavier the better as long as your roots aren't water logged. This goes back to my original statement that weight means nothing in your soil but to your back.

My experiments tell me that everything we know as organic soil-less is as good of science as a high times article.

Last edited:

mushroombrew

Veteran
Producing #'s for $275 in Oregon. Hybrid Hydroponic system. Indoors. Very few components. Hit 2.7/light with 3 wk veg.

Cheapest power in the country.

No limit on plant numbers.

Elite American Genetics.

I am actually 5 years ahead of the curve.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Your 5 years behind the curve then.

Real soil has no gimmick or marketing scheme. Have you ever grown in real soil? I would bet not if you still think a soil-less mix is superior. A farmer would laugh at our soil-less cluster f*ck of mixes.

I move thousands of vegetable seedlings every year, not a spec of perlite, or mined/produced aeration. This magic product called sand...you had an abundance in Hawaii. Your plant does not care about the weight of your mix, it actually wants the heavier the better as long as your roots aren't water logged. This goes back to my original statement that weight means nothing in your soil but to your back.

My experiments tell me that everything we know as organic soil-less is as good of science as a high times article.

Thanks for editing and explianing your point.
Yeah I am sure you are right. I just notice faster vegging in a very airy mix. But that was in Hawaii. Where drainage is super important. Roots rot quick out there.
Probably why the light shit worked better for me.

Oh and my favorite was cinder not perlite. Its black and dosent float. And yeah I have seen perlite floating all over many back yards.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
May I suggest you guys read these 3 articles/fact sheets regarding porosity.

Very detailed discussion about substrates from NCSU, titled Greenhouse Substrates and Fertilization https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/floriculture/plugs/ghsubfert.pdf

People tend to think of the mix as the overriding factor that determines air and water content in the root zone. Therefore most mixes made over the last 20 years have been classed according to their air and water values, as if they were fixed properties of the mix. They are not. There are four major factors which affect the air and water status in containers. These factors are like the four corners of a plug or tray cell; each is necessary in supporting the air and water content in that cell (Figure 1). The four corners are: ➊ the substrate (components and ratios); ❷ the container (height and shape); ❸ substrate handling procedures; and ❹ watering practices. Each of these four factors have a profound effect on air and water content.

Rutgers has a two part fact sheet that should help pull all this air/water porosity stuff together.

Fundamentals of Container Media Management: Part I, good discussion with suggested percentages: total porosity (65-75%), water content (50-65%), air (10-20%), available water (>30%), net weight (70-90 lb cuft), and a brief discussion on particle size of aggregates. https://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/download-free.asp?strPubID=FS812

Fundamentals of Container Media Management, Part II, Measuring Physical Properties, is a good primer on determining the actual porosity #s in your grow medium. A word to the wise, same grow medium used in different sized containers will provide you with different porosity numbers. https://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/download-free.asp?strPubID=FS881

And, for a simple tutorial to measure your container's porosity (with pictures and worksheet to help you perform the calculations), go here https://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-weeds/feature_articles/physical_properties/determining_container_physical_properties.html

Visual inspections for big and small chunks is nice and may make you feel good, but performing an actual test of air/water holding capacity is the best. Just saying, your lying eyes will deceive you...lol.

mushroombrew

Veteran
"Magic product called sand".

What a presumptuous moron your are.

Good luck finding that in PUNA HI.

You know where they biggest outdoor grows are. Its all rock and cinder you dumbass. Not a beach in sight.

THERE IS NO SAND IN PUNA !!

Any more degrading comments? What now?

I bet my weed sucks right? Low terps? Low THC? Low yields?

I bet they grow better weed in Michigan.

It's known world wide just as good if not better weed than Hawaii.

Yeah when I lived in Europe we all wanted that Michigan crip.

You want to know what I think sucks?

SOIL.

I have grown in soil and Hydro since '90.

Hydro is cheaper and the quality is the same. You can't tell my weed from organic. It commands the highest price. Yields are better.

Good luck competing with me in 5years when wholesale is $500/#

Go jump in the Lake.

growingcrazy

Lol...

Do you want me to have my Brother take a picture of the black sand beach out his front door near Kehena?

Definition of sand

1a : a loose granular material that results from the disintegration of rocks, consists of particles smaller than gravel but coarser than silt, and is used in mortar, glass, abrasives, and foundry molds

Sand is a classification of particle size, regardless of parent material.

You realize you are in the Organic Soil forum, right? I have nothing to say about your hydro grown weed, it is what it is, hydro.

Like I said before, its all yours. You lived in Hawaii, your plants show You are a master grower with all that excess N and P deficiency in your photos, all the while bottle feeding.

Still waiting on that scale showing 3lbs a light.

For the record, I don't believe I said anything derogatory towards You in any way, Good Morning to You too!

mushroombrew

Veteran
Lol...

Do you want me to have my Brother take a picture of the black sand beach out his front door near Kehena?

Definition of sand

1a : a loose granular material that results from the disintegration of rocks, consists of particles smaller than gravel but coarser than silt, and is used in mortar, glass, abrasives, and foundry molds

Sand is a classification of particle size, regardless of parent material.

You realize you are in the Organic Soil forum, right? I have nothing to say about your hydro grown weed, it is what it is, hydro.

Like I said before, its all yours. You lived in Hawaii, your plants show You are a master grower with all that excess N and P deficiency in your photos, all the while bottle feeding.

Still waiting on that scale showing 3lbs a light.

For the record, I don't believe I said anything derogatory towards You in any way, Good Morning to You too!

I guess I got up on the wring side of the bed this morning?!
Seems like I took offense.
No thanks on the pics. I said there is no sand because you have to get it while being naked at Kahena!!!
Haha thats classic! I was waiting for that one beach to come up!!

I get the impression you grow lots of food.
My veggies are in 100% compost. But not my weed.

Maybe I should try potting up weed in that mix? Just for the shits!

And yes I think #3/light is attainable. Its good to have goals I think!

Ok apologies for losing my cool.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
so cute! glad you guys made up. Ofcourse its always flattering having to senior members squabble it out on your post. Kind of like parents fighting over the child, except its just a compost post ;)

mushroombrew

Veteran
so cute! glad you guys made up. Ofcourse its always flattering having to senior members squabble it out on your post. Kind of like parents fighting over the child, except its just a compost post ;)

Well compost is all I got!! No kids haha!!

There is no shortage of organics on site. I just do not grow cannabis in 100%. But in all fairness to Michigan have not recently tried.

mushroombrew

Veteran
P.S. I dont know maybe those peppers would be bigger with lots of Perlite!!

Haha pissing myself!!

But I grow over and over in these beds. I just feel like 100% is overkill in a container? Or do you reuse it?

mushroombrew

Veteran
OK boys and one girl with skills.

Lets put this shit to bed.

Picked two clones that recently rooted. SFV OG. One is in straight 50% topsoil 50% compost.

The other is in the same soil mix with 50% perlite by volume. If anything the 100% soil plant is slightly bigger. But I have the home team advantage. And will of course poison the Michigan favorite if this doesn't go my way !! Haha!!

When it's time to repot I will use the same mix as the starting. They will end up in 2 gallons and go to flower rather quickly.

They are in the dead center of a 4x4 with a 600W MH light.

Any suggestions? Maybe a couple more of each mix?

growingcrazy

Way too much compost. 20% sand 20% compost 60% topsoil. Your still missing the details that go along with a "high performance" soil, testing and balancing.

Still looking forward to the results in your environment. I'm guessing your somewhere east of the Applegate.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Way too much compost. 20% sand 20% compost 60% topsoil. Your still missing the details that go along with a "high performance" soil, testing and balancing.

Still looking forward to the results in your environment. I'm guessing your somewhere east of the Applegate.

LOL give him some props he's actually doing something!

Im not doing anything. Ironically enough I was mixing the vermiculite and expanded clay pellets into the mix yesterday and I pulled a muscle in my lower back. Now Im at home paralyzed for at least 3-4 days until it heals. No Joke. its brutal. And so ironic. anywhoooo. Nice little experiment Mushroombrew. Keep us posted. Also what is that white stuff on the top on your pots ? explain yourself please.

mushroombrew

Veteran

I am not making high performance soil. I am using the same dirt my veggies grow in.
There is a good bit of non decomposed chips/bark in the mix.

So its fairly porous. And it grows great plants.
I just believe the perlite will create faster growth. As has been my experience. Which is why I suggested adding perlite or similar to the OP.

This is a very rudimentary experiment. Not about the perfect mix design.

mushroombrew

Veteran
LOL give him some props he's actually doing something!

Im not doing anything. Ironically enough I was mixing the vermiculite and expanded clay pellets into the mix yesterday and I pulled a muscle in my lower back. Now Im at home paralyzed for at least 3-4 days until it heals. No Joke. its brutal. And so ironic. anywhoooo. Nice little experiment Mushroombrew. Keep us posted. Also what is that white stuff on the top on your pots ? explain yourself please.

Wow it does not get any more Ironic. So you hurt you back and its my fault. Shit.

You mean the perlite? White stuff?

mushroombrew

Veteran
I will contact the nursery who delivered the dirt and see what the mix design is. It's 50/50 but the compost isn't totally"done". So there is a good bit of inert organic bits. I am guessing 50% soil 25% compost 25% inert stuff.

And I am not going to entertain an endless discussion about mix design. There are enough threads on the subject.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
My containers have no drainage holes, I don't add sand or perlite or even any magic pixie dust. I only feed when regrowing a clone or making seeds. And the compost I use costs 3 quid for 60 litres.
All this squabbling over the irrelevant stuff people use is quite amusing to some of us.

Latest posts

Latest posts