What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Making cannabutter or coconut with hash oil

I have around 15mls of ethanol-extracted oil made from dried buds, and I would like to make some cannabutter with a portion of it. How much oil would you recommend per pound of butter or coconut oil for use in cooking?

Also, the ethanol was evaporated from the oil using a rice cooker-type recovery still, followed by a thermostat-controlled hot plate (coffee warmer) to boil the last of the ethanol away. Would this oil need further decarboxylation other than the cooking process used to make the edibles?

I wood

One gram/ml per stick of butter works well in most baked goods in my experience.
Bagged cookie mixes make 36 cookies containing about 28 mgs each at that rate.
Half a cookie is enough for many people, tolerances vary wildly.
I decarb on a coffee maker as well.
Stop the heat when the bubbles slow to maybe 20%.
Checking every twenty minutes works for me, usually takes a couple of hours after solvent is gone. If you go until bubbles stop the oil will work fine but be bitter and a bit more sleepy in after effects.

Thanks I wood for the detailed and thoughtful reply. Can I ask, how much is a stick of butter? I'm down under and we don't call them sticks down here.. we work in grams and a block is usually 250gm. :tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Want all the people who use it to get the best results? Use ghee (clarified butter) or a high quality (certified) olive oil. Cannabinoid retention rates will be higher and everyone will absorb it at nearly the same rate.

Minimizes waste. Personally, I'm the A blood type which means both butter and coconut are completely wrong oils. Some O's do well with coconut and most B's do ok with butter. That's it.

Try it both ways and prove it to yourself, just like I have. You'll be glad you switched. :D

Want all the people who use it to get the best results? Use ghee (clarified butter) or a high quality (certified) olive oil. Cannabinoid retention rates will be higher and everyone will absorb it at nearly the same rate.
OK thanks for the tip, I might make some of both. :tiphat: