What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Farmin' Without Harmin'

h.h.

Veteran
I have a few things I am trying to plan going on right now and would enjoy some feedback..

1. Off-grid Co2? With no propane or natural gas is a sustainable option available? I have been trying to search for something to grow/keep in the flower room to produce Co2 naturally once I vent lights and seal the room for summer. No solutions yet..

2. Has anybody used the fence rail top tube bender from buildmyowngreenhouse.com? I am looking at the DY-20 to build a simple 20x24 propagation house in the next couple weeks. I was planning PVC conduit but with the minimal extra cost I would rather use steel.

Also, any recommendations on a small tractor? Looking at Ford 8n's. I keep hearing mixed reviews on how well loaders actually function for day to day chores. Currently thinkng 8n for plowing and general field work and then a possible yard tractor size with a bucket. This would work well in the chicken coup and pig pen I think.

Just started some Seedsman skunk/haze and 5 more Satori. I am really hoping for a male as my last 18 seeds I have popped have been female. Really looking to do some Satori F2's and some Satori crosses.

Thanks for the help!
GC
Moonshine! Fermentation produces CO2. How efficient, I don't know, but consider the side product.

I just purchased a BCS walking tractor.
http://http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/
Haven't had a chance to use it, as it's a thousand miles away right now.
BCS does have an excellent reputation and both Joel and Chris at Earth Tools are very helpful. Joel actually talked me out of buying a few implements, saving me $$$.
It is 2 wheeled and doesn't have a skip loader along with a few other features of a full size tractor.
[youtubeif]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL4vQfIr78E[/youtubeif]

I have the 4',6', and 12' hoop benders from BMOGH, along with the stand. Only the 12' and bigger really fits the stand. The smaller benders can be rigged to fit.
I do recommend them for making fairly consistent sized hoops.
Basically they are just a jig.
Made of 2 bent fence rails, tacked together with a hoop at one end to hold the end of your pipe.
The stand is 2" square stock with 1/2" emt used for bracing.
It's just a mom and pop shop. It's reasonable quality and it isn't going to break like something I would try to screw together.
You may want to check out the Gothic style hoop houses before committing. They may be better for your snow load.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-9341-q...&zmap=7300.0&gclid=CLSC5tjKlcsCFUlufgod9EsG_w

You can weight down the back of your tractor. We used to get someone on the back of the New Holland in order to pick up a pallet of block. It would pick them up though.

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
I have a few things I am trying to plan going on right now and would enjoy some feedback..

1. Off-grid Co2? With no propane or natural gas is a sustainable option available? I have been trying to search for something to grow/keep in the flower room to produce Co2 naturally once I vent lights and seal the room for summer. No solutions yet..

2. Has anybody used the fence rail top tube bender from buildmyowngreenhouse.com? I am looking at the DY-20 to build a simple 20x24 propagation house in the next couple weeks. I was planning PVC conduit but with the minimal extra cost I would rather use steel.

Also, any recommendations on a small tractor? Looking at Ford 8n's. I keep hearing mixed reviews on how well loaders actually function for day to day chores. Currently thinkng 8n for plowing and general field work and then a possible yard tractor size with a bucket. This would work well in the chicken coup and pig pen I think.

Just started some Seedsman skunk/haze and 5 more Satori. I am really hoping for a male as my last 18 seeds I have popped have been female. Really looking to do some Satori F2's and some Satori crosses.

Thanks for the help!
GC

You could incorporate growing some edible mushrooms into the airflow equation. They can offgas tremendous amounts of CO2 depending on the specie(s) used.

Can't help with the tractor bit.

Satori crosses sound really good. :)

ValleyKush

Veteran
^Exactly what I was going to say.

Fermenting something will put off alot of co2 as well. CO2 sinks so if you have a big area or plants that are raised in the room it can be more benificial if you use a tube that goes from the fermenting/ mushrooms to somewhere near the top of your plants/room so that it can fall onto the plants, rather then pool on the ground. But good circulation will do the job too.

self

Thanks for the help!
GC

I've got a Deere 28 hp with a woods backhoe. It's great for everything I need to do around the farm except pull out large tree stumps or move very large rocks. I plow my driveway with it, dig holes, move soil and firewood and lumber, build small roads, etc. I wouldn't go a whole lot smaller though, I'm always wishing it had a little more balls.
I've grown shitake and oyster mushroom and nameko ( if I remember correctly) in my grow room, in jars and bags. Shitake bags are probably your best bet. They seem to last the longest, and don't have the spore issues of oyster mushrooms. Also they are freaking delicious and really good for you and keep longer than the others. I can't say if I noticed a difference or not in growth, but my room isn't totally sealed. It was really cool anyway. You can grow them in plastic totes with some holes drilled in for airflow to keep humidity up, or in a plastic bag, or probably even in a seedling dome with some perlite.
Awesome story and thread! Reminds me a lot of my own past grows. Keep crushing it!

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"white dots" ~i get that from my Ca foliars. the bug food from arbico does the same

things are looking pretty dank in here growingcrazy i'd tend to keep something like that sour pink grapefruit for a harvest anyway ~of course; i have a hell of a time culling plants

growingcrazy

"white dots" ~i get that from my Ca foliars. the bug food from arbico does the same

things are looking pretty dank in here growingcrazy i'd tend to keep something like that sour pink grapefruit for a harvest anyway ~of course; i have a hell of a time culling plants

Thanks for the kind words Xmo!

If the SPG swells enough to consume all of those pistils, I think I have a winner. This specific plant has the funkiest garlic/gear oil smelling scent from a stem rub or a brush against.

Thanks for tossing Arbico out too. I didn't know they existed. Which brings me to another question. Myco products. I have been using a large bag from bio-AG for a while. I only use it when transplanting clones into final containers, but I find it helpful. Any recommendations for a low-cost, high quantity/quality myco product? I would like to find something to also use on my farm, which would require larger quantities.

GC

I was just discussing finding a sustainable peat moss/ humus on the organic for beginners thread. I am currently familiar with general Organics ancient forest but It was mentioned to me that it is nowhear near sustainable.

d3adh3ad0g

I also read this and I would like to ask what would be a accepteble substitute for peat moss? It was told that it not eco friendly and has pathojens?

Alright Fellas, lets go to it..

I read the conversation going on in the OFB thread, great information already provided as usual. I will dig in and play too. Soil building is why I grow. I really think the cannabis is just a byproduct of my soil addiction. View Image

Peat will be part of your mix in some small part or another until you really dedicate the time to create/find a suitable substitute.

Leaf mould is probably the most easily created peat substitutes. Look for an area that leaves tend to accumulate in nature and dig in. You can also start your own pile obviously. I like to keep a pile of just leaf matter constantly turned and always ready.

Sphagnum peat is also an option. You can find it in moist sunny areas in the wild. Harvest only a small portion from each spot as to not harm the area.

Coco Coir is also OK. I just like to use small amounts.

A composted pile of leaf mould and SM is a great substitute for commercial peat.

I am working on a 100% nature sourced soil mix at the time. Sustainable, local sourced soil mixes are the way of the future...

This is a mix I just started, and will be continuing to tweak until its dialed.

1- peat
1- leaf mould/SM
1/2- decomposed beech tree heartwood
1/2- course sand
2- aeration (straw/perlite/pumice)
1 1/2- EWC
1/2- recycled soil

1 cup flax meal
1/2 cup kelp
1/3 cup hardwood ash
2 cups oyster shell meal
2 cups DE/bentonite/GRD

Everything is from my property except the amendments and the perlite/pumice.

The more soil discussion in here the better!

Here is also a picture of the wetlands on my property where I get my peat. This was formed when the glaciers rolled through this area. The glacial push also gave this area a very high soil mineral content.

Here is the peat source on the farm..

View Image

Anybody else building a mix sourced from nature? We all talk about local nutrition sources, but not much talk about nature sourced base ingredients.

Peace
GC
Looking awesoooooooomeeeee growing crazy! What you're doing, what you just did there is my ultimate medium dream for not only my cannabis posts but my veggies and fruits! Really admirable brother, great work. God bless

Latest posts

Latest posts