What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamaldelica - The Search for Trip Weed

idiit

Veteran
we need dubi to chime in here on "thai effects" vs "african effects". i've read most of his older posts and he described per my recollection the thais as cold and africans as warm. he seemed to favor the african's psychoactivity over the thai's (again per my drugged out abused memory banks :) ). the zamaldelica hybrid offers up many trippy high effects possibilities.

take your pick, clone and go including working your favorite zamaldelica phenotypes. from personal experience the frosty malawi with strong meao thai influence ( recessive and fucking awesome) pheno dramatically changes for the best as it ages so attention needs to be paid to cure time per smoke effects.

Perpetual Nooch

I've been wanting to get my hands on these beans for some time. Tried a couple times to order them but never arrived.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
we need dubi to chime in here on "thai effects" vs "african effects". i've read most of his older posts and he described per my recollection the thais as cold and africans as warm. he seemed to favor the african's psychoactivity over the thai's (again per my drugged out abused memory banks :) ). the zamaldelica hybrid offers up many trippy high effects possibilities.

take your pick, clone and go including working your favorite zamaldelica phenotypes. from personal experience the frosty malawi with strong meao thai influence ( recessive and fucking awesome) pheno dramatically changes for the best as it ages so attention needs to be paid to cure time per smoke effects.

Greetings,

I'm hoping that the Zamaldelica has the "warm" effect in there, if that correlates to what I think of as "euphoria". I would definitely agree that the Thai weed that I have smoked is more pure trippy, clear, alert, and with hyper sensitivity to the surroundings than most weeds, and without much euphoria.

So far, I just don't get the love for Golden Tiger/Malawi. I'm really hoping that I don't feel the stupefying effect in Zamaldelica that I had with Golden Tiger. Not that there is anything wrong with that type of weed, but it is not my preference. I went back and looked at my pictures when I grew it, and I let it get really ripe. I have to try it again, and harvest it earlier, because so many people report excellent results. I probably just screwed it up, as I am definitely in the minority opinion.

I'll post some pictures, hopefully this weekend. Not that there has been much progress, but because they are my babies, and I want to share. Hopefully, Dubi has the time to come by with his observations, and if he can tell towards which parents my seedlings lean. For now, I want to flower the Zamal and Thai looking ones.

Idiit - After I post some more pictures, I hope you will be able to identify what parents that the seedlings appear to lean towards. Thanks in advance.

Peace,

ThaiBliss

idiit

Veteran
Idiit - After I post some more pictures, I hope you will be able to identify what parents that the seedlings appear to lean towards. Thanks in advance.

^ hopefully we'll get a group collaboration on this one :) .

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Your description of pure haze effects are practically spot on, though I don't see nearly as much fear on blast off as you're talking about. Hazes are generally a little warmer than that. Thai additions might cause the ramping up effect. Though thais are usually very clear, very aware. Odds are, your haze was a thai haze or had thai influences.

Africans are, for lack of a better term - scary. The gut-tightening, fear-inducing, ramping up effect comes on fast and hard. Depending on location, africans I've smoked have been anywhere from soaring paralysis (malawi) to racy and paranoia inducing (durban). Zamal (or what zamal I got to experience in the various phenos of Zamaldelica) is a bit more trippy, a bit more "hallucinogenic" and decently speedy.

Zamaldelica will not be warm and fuzzy. I am not the only one to think so, another member here posted it was a cold and semi-terrifying experience. Most of the people I know who have tried it consider it all-out trip cannabis and don't like smoking it at night because of it's intensity. It will totally distort reality like your haze though. It sounds awful, but if you're looking for maximum sativa highness (in 3 different directions - thai / malawi / zamal ), I don't think you can do better than this line. You'll see what I mean soon enough! :biggrin:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Terpene,

Thanks for chiming in. Your descriptions are one of the main reasons for me deciding to grow this strain. I've quoted you in the first post. I do not intend to find an everyday smoking weed for going on picnics. I would love Bangi Haze for that. If Bangi is an example of the warm African weed, then I think it's great. I'm hoping for a once in a while sky diving type of adventure with Zamaldelica. Some do report euphoria on it, and it appears that there may be various sisters with different effects, but all extreme. I'm glad to hear it.

Thanks Terpene, and everyone else for helping me to keep enthusiastic about this grow. This thread seems to be attracting a bunch of long time respected ACE fans/contributors, and I appreciate hearing everyone's observations.

:thank you:

Speaking of enthusiasm, I've got to put in a plug for the SAGE x Golden Tiger and SAGE x Purple Haze Thai grow. The buds are really coming on nicely now. I'll be taking some pictures of those this weekend also. Terpene, have you gotten a nose full of Purple Haze Thai? Wow! I can't wait to smoke that. I'm all about the Haze and Thai.

Future African Fan,

ThaiBliss

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
I'm glad I'm not scaring you away from the Zamaldelica. My description of "the fear" sometimes scares people away from it, which is probably better, its for those seeking truly intense smoke. Its easy to grow, yields well and is one of the few strains that I've run where the general consensus is "oh you're smoking THAT right now?? pssh, good luck, we'll see you on the other side!"

Dubi did a real good job on his purple haze thai selection. The Ace pure purple haze puts you in a haze, very dreamy and psychedelic. Except for the minor sandalwood addition, it almost exactly replicates the blackberry brandy smell of the 26 week pure purple haze I ran, but its much faster in flower, a little more energetic and clearer from the thai addition.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Zamaldelica ZD1

Zamaldelica ZD1

O.K., I could not wait to post my pictures. I'm like a kid in a candy store.

I am only posting the two that I have decided to grow if female. The first is ZD1, which I have come to believe is the most Zamal looking one. I'm only basing this on pictures available in ICMAG. Please contradict me if you disagree. I would not take it as rude, I would consider it very helpful.

The first trait I'd like to show is the slightly alternate branching on the second node. It is a fairly lanky one with one of the longer internode lengths. It also has internodes that seem to keep growing and stretching. They have a slight bow to them which makes them look rubbery. I'm not going to test it. Please pardon the out of focus pic, but this turned out the best one to show the very slight alternate branch pattern at an exceedingly early age:
picture.php

This individual is also the lightest in color, and by far the most sensitive to over fertilization. I let it dry out until the leaves drooped a bit, and it has not looked the same since. It is the least robust individual. This is the exact same trait that my freakishly good Haze had. I don't like it, but if this is a sign of maximum power, then I can learn to love it. Here is a burned leaf:
picture.php

This picture is to show how lanky it is:
picture.php

The last picture is an overall view from above:
picture.php

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Zamaldelica ZD2

Zamaldelica ZD2

The second one, ZD2, is very robust, similar to my Golden Tigers I grew. I really have no idea if it is Thai leaning. I have not seen many good close up pictures of Meao Thai. It is a little more lanky that what I remember from Golden Tiger. What do you think it looks like?

There were several that looked like this one, but this is the one with the skinniest leaves and most horizontal branching. Hopefully, these are Meao Thai traits. Notice the almost perfectly horizontal branches on the first node:
picture.php

Here are some more pictures to get an overall sense of the ZD2 plant:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Happy Growing,

ThaiBliss

orfeas

Veteran
Pardon me asking TB!
What makes some of them leaves have this tendancy of curling upwards?

MostlyMe

Veteran
These descriptions of Thai, African and other pure sativa's really make me curious. I never smoked anything more sativa than Neville's haze. Seems there a lot more variation effect-wise in the sativa area than there is in the indica sphere.

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
Greetings Everyone,

Thanks for the interest, kind words, and encouragement. With regards to keeping the Thai influence, I am nearly a fanatic. Can't you tell? I keep three seed lines that I have had for 31 years. These lines occasionally get brought together in one line, then divided into multiple lines again. Thai has been in it from the start. Nearly everything I grow, test, and possibly get crossed into one of these lines has Thai in it, or Haze, which also has Thai in it. I have been exploring ACE's genetics because a large portion of Dubi's offerings have been crossed with Thai. The exception is Bangi Haze, which will get crossed into my one line that is my early ripening, and effects, priority line. My other two lines are both prioritized for effect only. Anything that I come across with couch-lock gets culled. I have not bread any new strain into any of these three lines for eight years, not even my current 3 year champion, SAGE. SAGE has Haze (Thai) in it. SAGE will likely get into the line at some point, perhaps by way of Purple Haze Thai x SAGE to increase the Haze and Thai influence.

With all that said, I agree that the Thai effects that I love are recessive. Thai is so unique and rare, and the full blown effects are almost always lost when crossed with something else. The big exception is a Haze individual that I once had that was full blown Thai type effect, but even improved with a strong euphoric component that nearly cancelled out the edginess of the Thai. It did not breed true, but I'll never stop trying.

Late for work because of my fanaticism, again. Got to go.

ThaiBliss

Hey Thaibliss. Bless the patience you have for working with such wild sativa. Seems you're looking for that perfect combination of clarity and euphoria in a line. Have you tried DJ's Flo/F13?

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Pardon me asking TB!
What makes some of them leaves have this tendancy of curling upwards?

Orfeas,

The ZD1 has some leaves bending in odd directions because off too much fertilizer salt build up. There are dissolved salts in the soil whether or not you are using organic tea or "chemical" fertilizers. When I let the moisture in the soil dry up, it concentrates the dissolved salts to a point that the moisture in the plant begins to move back into the soil (osmosis) and it literally starts to kill plant cells from lack of water. The less fertilizer in the soil, the less your plant will start to desiccate as the moisture levels decrease.

If you are asking about the serrations that seem to bend in different directions or the v shape of the leaflets looking at a cross section from the tip to the base, then these are genetic traits.

Hope that helps,

ThaiBliss

wingdings

Veteran
Nice start, they look different that the 2 I had already. Mine didn't really end up like you were looking for in the finished product either. They were nice though. Still have over 10 seeds to sort through someday.

orfeas

Veteran
Orfeas,

The ZD1 has some leaves bending in odd directions because off too much fertilizer salt build up. There are dissolved salts in the soil whether or not you are using organic tea or "chemical" fertilizers. When I let the moisture in the soil dry up, it concentrates the dissolved salts to a point that the moisture in the plant begins to move back into the soil (osmosis) and it literally starts to kill plant cells from lack of water. The less fertilizer in the soil, the less your plant will start to desiccate as the moisture levels decrease.

If you are asking about the serrations that seem to bend in different directions or the v shape of the leaflets looking at a cross section from the tip to the base, then these are genetic traits.

Hope that helps,

ThaiBliss

Your 2nd sentence answers my question alright, thanks heaps!

As for the salt build up, aren't we supposed to use light mixtures for seedlings and move into richer ones when transplanting?

ThaiBliss

Veteran
As for the salt build up, aren't we supposed to use light mixtures for seedlings and move into richer ones when transplanting?

Orfeas,

It is my belief that light mixtures should be used throughout the life of the plant. Please see my signature. I will also direct you to this quote on the first post of this thread by copying it here:

Unknown Guest - "No doubt the very best weed I smoked in my life was Zamal. It only happened to me a couple of times to find some stash that reminded of zamal's quality in holland. The best weed is the one that was not touched nor fertilized by man during its whole life. When they hear about our HPSs and fertilizers stuff, they laugh a lot."

My experience has led me to completely agree with the quote in bold.

That being said, I wish I had extremely powerful strains that were adapted to the environment where I live. I wish the "authorities" were not persecuting people who prefer cannabis for their medicine and for enjoyment. I wish cannabis was not so rare that people often steal peoples plants when they see them.

So, we must be flexible. Flexibility is also necessary because there are drastic genetic differences in nutrients required by different strains. In fact, these Zamaldelica seedling who may be sisters or cousins are so different that ZD2 is a bit nutrient deprived while ZD1 is overdosed using the very same tea.

If ZD1 proves to be a preferred smoke, I would not trade it for an easier to grow plant. There is way too much of that sort of thing going on in the cannabis scene, in my opinion. I have grown some top self smoke that was from an easy to grow plant, but the best I have ever grown was one that was far more sensitive and difficult to grow than this ZD1.

All the Best,

ThaiBliss

orfeas

Veteran
ThaiBliss,

First of all I totally see eye to eye with you and I have read both your signature and the line you quoted for I've been following your thread daily.

Back in the day(early eighties) when I first strarted growing, there was no such thing as canna nutrients, soil mixes and dutch hybrids whatsoever in Greece.
Seeds we had our own for quite often we culled males tad too late.
So all we did was plant in the ground straight away the way we'd been planting beans and other veggies.
Ferts? Only a handful of chichen/goat manure if available, at times nothing at all.
End results? The quote from your 1st post!
Then, in the nineties, there came the Dutch with all the paraphernalia and where have we come to?
Almost impossible to find those genetics...

Last edited:

orfeas

Veteran
ThaiBliss,

First of all I totally see eye to eye with you and I have read both your signature and the line you quoted for I've been following your thread daily.

Back in the day(early eighties) when I first strarted growing, there was no such thing as canna nutrients, soil mixes and dutch hybrids whatsoever in Greece.
Seeds we had owr own for quite often we culled males tad too late.
So all we did was plant in the ground straight away the way we'd been planting beans and other veggies.
Ferts? Only a handful of chichen/goat manure if available, at times nothing at all.
End results? The quote from your 1st post!
Then, in the nineties, there came the Dutch with all the paraphernalia and where have we come to?
Almost impossible to find those genetics...

This season I've grown a Kali Mist in a ditch that hosted four plants last year, without adding a drop of ferts and she grew wildly to 270cm, although the mold didn't let het finish in due time.
I must say though that the ditch had been filled with my DIY mix(peat/perlite/manure) April 2012.

ThaiBliss

Veteran

Orfeas,

Truth is, I took your sentence that I have quoted above as accusatory and I got defensive. I apologize.

Communication can be difficult face to face, and can be even more challenging with quick posts. I'd like to clear up one point. I consider manure, among other organic nutrient sources, to be fertilizer, and I burned one of my seedlings by using too much. I made a mistake due to lack of experience with this stain.

My fertilizer mixes include bird guano, aged fish meal, seaweed, and even green alfalfa pellets in the soil. I believe anything is fertilizer that can burn the plant from excess nutrient salts.

B.T.W., Kali Mist has a great reputation and has been described as trippy. Feel free to post pictures here.

:biggrin:

ThaiBliss

C

Carbon.Chains

"No doubt the very best weed I smoked in my life was Zamal. It only happened to me a couple of times to find some stash that reminded of zamal's quality in holland. The best weed is the one that was not touched nor fertilized by man during its whole life. When they hear about our HPSs and fertilizers stuff, they laugh a lot."
"there was no such thing as canna nutrients, soil mixes and dutch hybrids (...) all we did was plant in the ground straight away the way we'd been planting beans and other veggies"
"without adding a drop of ferts"

I'd like to add that an untouched plant has been fertilized by past generations dying and returning their nutrients to the soil, resulting in a net gain to the soil :)
The need for external nutrients comes from man being a "bandit" and stealing this return by harvesting.
If you keep growing in the same soil and harvest everything (well excluding the roots) you will in the end grow weaker, lower-yielding, less pest and disease resistant, plants; this may or may not affect the high.
Fertilizing only with manure is not sufficient in supplying certain nutrients; it has been proven that soil lacking minerals will grow less nutrient-dense food crops, more susceptible to pests and disease. (Also a contributing factor the food-related problems of our societies).
Not sure how it may affect the high but it's enough to convince me to make sure that my soil has the required minerals.

However I don't think external fertilization is necessary, I guess we should all let a part of our harvest return to the soil :) not sure if I'm ready to do that. Perhaps the males are sufficient?

Hope this is helpful or interesting to anyone :tiphat: and that ThaiBliss doesn't mind me ranting a bit and getting off-topic

Carbon-Chains

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts