What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Collecting Pollen For Breeding ~ My Style

Nico Farmer

Good thread man !
Nice tips to select male, but if you really want to know how good your males are, feminized them!!!
Big up

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Adding flour to pollen is a mistake, imo.

All it does is add surface area that will collect moisture upon removing from the freezer.

The best example I can think of for not adding flour is the incident where Shanti auctioned off some pollen a few years back. It was mixed w flour & rendered non viable to the purchaser.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
How would cutting the pollen with DE work; prior to freezing?
The point of the flour and rice grains are to absorb water, especially while defrosting. I know flour works. Combined with the other information in this great thread, I see great things being around years from now.

:tiphat: :)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
So no. DE is not a very good desiccant, at least not compared to flour.

Flour works quite well, in practice, the key is to cook it, cool it and mix/package in a timely manner. The flour can absorb a lot of moisture and not affect the pollen, when it's properly dried to begin with. Should you have issues with humidity as it's defrosting, I would highly recommend defrosting in a desiccant chamber. I can only imagine the local humidity is quite high in your area.

Pollen is very tiny, the flour acts as a bulking agent, ensuring you're not dumping 800 spores on each pistil. It also washes off quite easily, so the spray down after pollination isn't a hassle.

Lots of upsides to using flour, without having run into any downsides so far. Except having to make sure something stays frozen through moves, natural disasters and the strange things life throws at you occasionally. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts