What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help getting over my fear of mountain lions?

I live in paradise but don't take advantage of it enough, mostly because I am scared of mountain lions.

I carry bear spray and a gun, therefore elk, bears, and other less clever predators do not worry me. But a friend told me a story (a true one) of being stalked by a mountain lion on his bike a few years back. The lion followed him all the way home; my friend literally had to walk backwards with his bike for a mile to keep the lion at bay.

I keep reading stories about lions attacking from behind, delivering a lethal blow to the neck. There is just nothing you can do about it; no chance of protection.

I surfed regularly when I lived near the ocean. Sharks didn't bother me a bit. I understand my fear is irrational, and it's keeping me from enjoying Boulder.

Any recommendations to help me get over this fear? I can't even enjoy myself out there. I'm constantly turning around, checking my 6 for lions.:eek::

David762

Mountain lions strike from above & behind.

Mountain lions strike from above & behind.

I live in paradise but don't take advantage of it enough, mostly because I am scared of mountain lions.

I carry bear spray and a gun, therefore elk, bears, and other less clever predators do not worry me. But a friend told me a story (a true one) of being stalked by a mountain lion on his bike a few years back. The lion followed him all the way home; my friend literally had to walk backwards with his bike for a mile to keep the lion at bay.

I keep reading stories about lions attacking from behind, delivering a lethal blow to the neck. There is just nothing you can do about it; no chance of protection.

I surfed regularly when I lived near the ocean. Sharks didn't bother me a bit. I understand my fear is irrational, and it's keeping me from enjoying Boulder.

Any recommendations to help me get over this fear? I can't even enjoy myself out there. I'm constantly turning around, checking my 6 for lions.:eek::

Mountain lions strike from above & behind. They do primarily attack the shoulder and neck, with the intent upon either breaking the neck or crushing the throat causing suffocation. And yes, they do stalk their prey.

You could travel the trails with a buddy or two who are also armed. A slower, out of shape buddy might prove to be a greater attraction to that big cat, as well. ;) Having some method of communication (cell phone, sat phone, CB handset) as well as GPS to identify location for rescue workers would be a good idea as well.

Your friend's previous encounter with a mountain lion would have to be rather unsettling. Maintaining situational awareness is a good survival tactic -- I highly recommend it. But I would also replace the perfume or after-shave cologne with grizzly bear piss, available in finer outdoor shops and on-line. Grizzlies are bigger and badder than mountain lions any day. :tiphat:

G

greenmatter

you could just forget the mountain lions and think about the fact that you have a better chance of getting hit by lightning .. or in boulder an SUV ...

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
Bears really scare me MT lions are a rare threat to man kind if you ask me. Now mad Squirrels now that's the real killer of the woods there beady little eyes. Good Luck

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
I would simply go hiking with people who are slower than yourself so that IF one does attack odds are it will get them and not you (heard this same method works great with bears as well as other big ass animals trying to destroy you). So to help you get over it, "bring a friend".

Seriously though, go in a group or at least a couple if it is that big of an issue for you. Fuck mountain lions, evil lil bastards for sure.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Bears really scare me MT lions are a rare threat to man kind if you ask me. Now mad Squirrels now that'[s the real killer of the woods there beady little eyes. Good Luck

agreed, too many stories of those damn bears mauling someone to death or worse off "almost to death" and they get to enjoy trying to tell the story later on it life.

Good advice so far. Although like I said bears will not be an issue for me, those bastards are ruthless.

I mean: at least mountain lions have the decency to attempt a decapitation/neck break, and failing that, a relatively quick suffication at the neck. Bears, the mean-spirited assholes, will generally start eating your genitals while you're still alive. They don't wait till your dead before they dig in, and they almost always go for the genitals first.

ZZTops

Veteran
When the Hunter becomes the Hunted...

picture.php

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GET A BIG ASS BEAR DOG! bears and cougars are scared shitless of bear dogs.

Also Get a tall back pack that will block your neck. Also wear a scent that mountain lions dont like.

STFU

Go hiking with a dog. Just make a shit-ton of noise. I remember hearing about a biker who was knelt over his bike fixing it on a trail when a mountain lion pounced from behind. 1 hit KO to the neck.. Stand tall! Go with a friend

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
You don't want to disregard healthy fear.

For what it's worth I had a picture of the biggest freaking mountain lion being held up by the guy it could have killed.

Check my folders for it if you care.

Perhaps real reality is too much for the internet.

All apologies for any offense to pertinent pictures in relative sense.

Last edited:

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Take a child with you :) I am kidding people so don't go all freaky on me

"A child, however, with a small stature may appear as a small animal to a lion. During the last 20 years, 70 percent of the cat attacks were perpetrated on children and in recent years, that figure has climbed to 90 percent. "

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^finally a good use for orphans. lol. I am just kidding too just in case some people cant tell.

G

guest8905

Just be aware of your surroundings. I agree on the dog, it helps to have a k-9, but in reality, if the cat wants you , its gonna get you. Like that hunter above, I really hope that cat got him.

StickKy

Collie Man

My friend was a ranger at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico a couple years ago. He told me a story when he had to hike back into base camp during the night time which was not recommended especially without a partner. He said he stopped to take a leak and heard a noise in the brush, then he saw glowing eyes and knew it was a mountain lion instantly. He then started screaming and making loud noises as he took his bowl and nalgene out of the pack. The whole time hiking back he would bang the nalgene against the bowl screaming making himself look big. He made it back alright and now he carries a club with him when he hikes.
Also a few years before I went to philmont, a kid left a knife in his tent that had juice from the can meat from dinner, and a bear ripped open the tent and grabbed the kid by his skull and pulled him out. I forgot what happened next, i think his tent mate did something but i forgot. Anyway the bear ends up being chased away and the kid gets help. They ended up finding the bear, killing it and sent the skull to the kid. As I was typing that I remember another fked up situation at Philmont
We hiked to the top of Mt. Baldy where storms can roll in REAL fast, unfortunately we didn't have to worry because it was the perfect day. But the next day a troop got to the base of the peak and saw that a storm was coming. Since they were only a couple of hundred yards to the top (very very steep) the scout master said they can go up real fast take pictures and come down before the storm. Well that was the worst idea ever, they tell you this before you start the backpacking trip that storms roll in FAST!!! Well i think it was like 8 to 11 kids and older adults who all got struck by lightning. There were people in critical condition 12,441 feet on that mountain. That whole day a huge huge rescue operation went down to save these scouts. Once we made it back to base camp there were news channels and everything getting the details on the situation. Anyways philmont was one of the most epic backpacking trips ever and had a great time. Didn't see any bear or mtn lions tho.