What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strip light

dddaver

Veteran
Is an 18W strip light too weak to use in a gutted PC tower on seedlings before I transfer them to my tent?

dddaver

Veteran
I already gutted an old PC tower. I was thinking of getting one of those Mylar emergency blankets from Walmart. cut it up and glue it to the walls. I also found these on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Grow-Li....c100005.m1851

So I was thinking I could start a few seeds under a humidity dome and then when they break the soil put them under that light in a PC case for a few weeks until they're ready to be transplanted to bigger pots and go into the tent. That way get a little jump on growing. Not really perpetual, but a jump. Ebay also sells these same little bendy lights but have 30W LED bubs on the end. Think they might be better?

I was able to salvage the power unit in the PC but had to take the mother board out. The power unit and all that wire harness is useless but taking it out leaves a big gaping hole in the back. I also had to leave the disk drive in as taking it out would leave gaps in the front defeating any stealth.The computer fan plugged into the mother board before but I think I can use an old cell phone adapter and wire it up to power it.

I kinda like this. It hearkens back to my old ghetto cab, can't buy anything so you have to make it, from before I could buy my grow tent and HLG grow light and cloth pots. Fun.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
They sell blanks for those disk drive bays, so you can take them out of the case and still have your stealth. Just do a search for "bay covers" and you should instantly find them.

dddaver

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I decided to go with this light:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Indoor-Hydr...75.c100623.m-1

It's only 3.6" (92mm) so pics'll fool ya. But clamp is cool. My evil plan is all coming together bwahahaha
biggrin.gif
[/FONT]

dddaver

Veteran
That light I ordered from ebay is only $12. It's 33W but just noticed it only puts out 450 lumen. CRAP. So I had these 100W Walmart LED soft lights that put out 1500 lumen. I had a couple old clamp work lights too. I cut the dome off that soft light LED bulb and put it on the clamp light and inside that Mylared PC case. I also cut an old DC charger (only 6V though) and wired that to the fan. Works. Steady 77F. Cool light LED bulb would be better for seedlings probably, but I think it'll work.

Koondense

Veteran
I have good results with mixed spectrums, 3000K + 6500K led bulbs are best for seedlings.

Cheers

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.hydrogrowled.com/product/penetrator-xb35-35w-led-grow-light-for-sale/

Might consider one of these when they are released. Probably far superior than a strip light.

dank.Frank

The footprint looks cool but isn't this basically a blurple light?

"Each panel measures an impressive 9.6" x 8.5", with 4 modular circuit boards (XBoards) featuring 128 of the highest efficiency RGB LEDs and on-board drivers.

Our Photosynthetically-Optimized spectrum is comprised of 6 wavelengths with the highest absorption by Chlorophyll A and B."

This probably produces less heat than COBs, but not seeing the benefit over a couple cheap SILs.

Latest posts

Latest posts