What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mothers and cuttings

dddaver

Veteran
I just bought a small tent and new light (HLG 100). I'm considering using my old mini-cab just to house a mother under some weak SILs. But after reading a lot, I'm not so sure I want to deal with root trimming etc. needed to keep a healthy bonsai mother. Not to mention with the hassle needed to successfully root clones. Growing from seed ain't so bad. I've had plenty of success making my own too. Cloning seems more a commercial/yield thing. I'm just hobbyist. In it for fun and it's a blast. So enough of the negatives. This question is just for knowledge.

I think I know the answer. I think you should revert your light schedule back to veg right after the plants show sex after flip. I was curious whether anyone has ever flowered and gotten bud then reverted her back? Or flowered, taken bud, then cut and re-vegged to mother a plant?

RockinRobot

Cloning is much simpler than trying to re-veg a plant. Not all strains will revert and it takes forever. As a general rule for every week it was in flower will take that long to revert to veg. May as well grow from seed again.

Only people that try to revert to veg post harvest do it to save a particularly good strain after a disaster of some sort or because they forgot to take clones.

I don't keep permanent mothers. I take extra clones and once rooted I destroy the old moms.

Last edited:

dddaver

Veteran
Not sure what your question is :(

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I was curious whether anyone has ever flowered and gotten bud then reverted her back? Or flowered, taken bud, then cut and re-vegged to mother a plant? [/FONT]

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes. It's called re-vegging. If you are good at what you do, you can literally take a trimmed bud, root it, keep it under 24 hour light, and it'll eventually grow new stems. 100%

That is the extreme option, but, you can trim, leave on a few lower flowers, cut root mass, replant, watch water levels and keep under 24hr light, and yes, those buds you left on will eventually begin to shoot stems and re-grow.

However, this takes anywhere from 6-8wks. You also, have to plan for this if you want to really have a successful plant to regrow each time. That means, leaving a few lowers on the plant rather than stripping it bare for air flow.

Cloning - isn't about production - it's more about preservation and supply of what you discover you LOVE. You clone a plant because you love how it smokes and you want to smoke it over and over and over - to preserve it. With clones, you can fill a room of that special flower, not just run a single plant of it, re-vegged over and over, and then what, vegged for 3-4 months so you can have a decent supply of it rather than run out and have to switch it up to something less dank????

Bonsai moms are not hard and can be sort of fun. It depends on how much you like interacting with your plants. Careful pruning - and even grafting into the meristem - can be fun little challenges to tackle to maximize the utility of such practices. Root pruning isn't anything overly special either, and technically, unless you are growing in an organic soil, is far less of a concern, as you can just up the ppm of your feeds to adjust to the size of the plant, even if it's growth behavior will change a bit because of being root bound.

Either way, I think a small cloning set up is your best and most practical option.

Look into a bubble or aero cloner. Many people get used to those and learn to just toss in a low dose of veg nutrients to keep rooted clones lingering around a bit longer in a what become a mini hydro veg machine instead of a cloner. This can be done to prevent keeping moms around as well. Before flower, you just trim the top or a branch, stick it back in the cloner and wait...strain preserved....no mother plant required.

Just be more creative. Stoner ingenuity. :joint:

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I made this cloner around 2004/2005. I still have it and still use from time to time.

3 gallon rubber maid tub (use a dark color - I wrap this one in black 6 mil poly.) Cut holes around the lid for your net cups. Neoprene rings - you don't even need the white covers. Foam weather striping around the edge of the lid to create a tighter seal and prevent leaks. PVC manifold. Glass Airstones (they can be scrubbed and soaked in mild acids for cleaning, so virtually last forever.). Simple air pump tubing attached to a large air pump.

Easy bubble cloner. This was more or less a design modified from Overgrow. It works brilliantly. If I put a bit of veg nutrient in it, it's more or less a shallow water culture system.

It doesn't have to be something fancy to be practical and fit your limited needs.

bc11.jpg

bc2.jpg

bc3.jpg

dank.Frank

purpleplayer007

Dope cloner @ dank.Frank.. what's the average time for roots to show. what kinda water do you put in there. @dddaverits it's possible but best to just take clones from a healthy plant.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
I have successfully revegged plants after cutting back most of top buds.
Its seems easier to do when I leave more buds and grow sites
I have also killed them years back because I was too stupid to realize that the plant didn't need anywhere near as much water as it did when it had all of the buds still on plant.

I have never cut back the roots. Ever. That may have made things easier, I see many people recommend that.

Like everyone else said, it's much easier to clone. I don't keep moms. I just take clones off veg plants, as soon as they root I flip to bloom. While those are blooming my cuts are vegging. Ready to start the cycle over.

Everybody's environment is different but I haven't had a cut fail to root since I started using a humidity dome.

I tiny one that comes loaded with two rows of six peat pellets.
Costs $3 at Home Depot. 5$ for a box peat pellet refills.

Only problem I've had with the dome- i have about 6 of those mini domes. I forgot to remove lid on one that held already rooted clones. Left it for days, when I remembered lost some to mold. But that was my fault.