What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Blueberry Trials

The best real blueberry smells I’ve ever came across were hybrids. berry white which was straight blueberry candy, and blue cheese which was straight blueberry muffins/ muffin tops cereal.here in Colorado there’s some interesting terps , but I haven’t seen those old school blue terps here many times.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks to those of you that have namechecked the BlueDigiberry in this thread

Verdant/dank.frank, Digi is a hybrid but must be included. The most consistent reports of BB flavor. I need to go back and see what the cross is.

Hey Lester, The digiberry clone itself must be a pure Blueberry afaik, an indica type smelling of Blueberry muffins. The pollen i used was from D.F's bx he made to the clone.
My own blueberry mother is more candy berry and from DP fem line. - so i'm not sure you could really call it a hybrid, more a cross of two pure blueberry clones via a bx to provide the male.

What is certain is that there are numerous blueberry smelling plants in the F2's (both candy and muffin), which have been widely grown.
Admittedly there are also some intersex traits with a few of the plants, but i think that goes with the territory in these lines.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=265726

Interesting project you are planning, i will be following.

VG.:tiphat:

GoatCheese

Veteran
The blueberry flavour/smell most certainly DOES exist. It may be infrequent, but when you come across it you will not mistake it for anything else.
It's not floral, not a 'bit berryish', it smells like sweet, perfectly ripe blueberries.

In my limited experience, I have so far only found that flavour and smell in Bluedigiberry.

My recent grow is still drying. So far I have only sampled one Joey Weed blueberry. It was some strong herb, but no blueberry smell. It was more of a citrus and fuel smell.

But if you take some of DJ Shorts Blueberry and make seeds with it, you can either call it blueberry or just make up some nonsence. Regardless of what it smells like.

But once you have had that flavour, you will say to yourself, 'That is why it's called blueberry!', not the autumnul colours or any 'blue' on the leaves etc.

Gotta have faith, blessed are those who believe and have not smelt...
Yea, it's amazing how real the fresh, real deal blueberry smell and taste cannabis plants can have. ..or strawberry, coffee,lemony or whatever. Sometimes the aromas are very realistic to something not related to cannabis.

I had a plant from BCBD's The Black that also had very realistic blueberry notes. Very similar profile to the one on the DP's Blueberry i had (pictures on first few pages). Shitty line that Black, i don't recommend it. The original Black-clone from USA can be a nice affie, i'm sure, but BCBD's "THE" Black really is a poor effort. Some phenos are low thc sativa-ditch weed with dusty and "mushroomy" like terp profile = hemp?!

MD84

Smellyberry by OT1/Underground Originals is probably the best 'berry' strain i've grown. I first did them about 5 years ago and made some f2's which i have going now. The berry smell overpowers everything else in the groom. I know you said no crosses but there's always one or two that are worth a look. I believe the smellyberry was made with an old BB father from DJ Shorts original BB release. Think Blueberry ribena. I'll post a pic in a week or two so folk can tell me how much they do or don't look like BB. Atb

MD84

One of the original F1's.

picture.php

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks to those of you that have namechecked the BlueDigiberry in this thread

Hey Lester, The digiberry clone itself must be a pure Blueberry afaik, an indica type smelling of Blueberry muffins. The pollen i used was from D.F's bx he made to the clone.
My own blueberry mother is more candy berry and from DP fem line. - so i'm not sure you could really call it a hybrid, more a cross of two pure blueberry clones via a bx to provide the male.

What is certain is that there are numerous blueberry smelling plants in the F2's (both candy and muffin), which have been widely grown.
Admittedly there are also some intersex traits with a few of the plants, but i think that goes with the territory in these lines.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=265726

Interesting project you are planning, i will be following.

VG.:tiphat:

To piggy back on this comment from VG and to make sure that Lester does in fact have the right information...

100% of all credit for that gene pool goes to Chili_Berkster.

He and I used to hang out in chat and talk for hours. I had a blueberry experience I had enjoyed - a lone 1/8th from a work associate, and such flowers never to be seen again. I was looking for medical lines at the time to address anxiety and stress levels. After talking for many months, Chili started discussing Digi with me and his work and her history.

The Digi clone - is pushing 30+ years old - and Chili does in fact still have her alive and well. It's not 100% known what she is. She is a very finicky plant, that grows like a thai based gene pool, based on her sensitivities, but flowers in 52-55 days. She also, just happens to taste EXACTLY like Blueberry muffins. The smoke lingers in the room to the point someone entering an hour later, having no clue you consume cannabis, will head directly to the kitchen and expect there to be fresh baked homemade blueberry muffins with a lovely crumb topping sitting on the counter.

It's legitimate.

Outside of that though, her effects - border just slightly on the 3rd-eye side of things. It's as if being out of body, observing yourself and the room from a camera positioned up high in the corner some where. Your thought processes and state of emotional awareness are heightened. Stress melts. Anxiety vanishes. Peace and tranquility and this awestruck wonderment with the universe sort of takes over and you just want to go bask in the sun and spin in a field of flowers.... :joint:

Again, Digi is LEGIT.

Sensitive? Yes. Over feed? Nanners. Light stress? Nanners. Root bound? Nanners. High temps? Nanners. Over-water? Nanners. Flower too long? Nanners. :laughing:

However, if you are a good grower, she has zero of these issues. She's just a queen who knows when there is a pea under her mattress.

The Digital Berry clone was outcrossed to a male Chili Berkster called Arnold, which was selected from Sour Bubble Bx2 seeds from BOG. He called that line, BlueBubble - and he documented it and several of the outcrosses here on IC in the earlier days. So the Bx1 line, Digi x (Digi x Sour Bubble Bx2).

I spent 3 years sorting the Bx1 seeds Chili had gifted me. I trialed 2 males before I found the one I though was THE FEMALE, I was after. Turned out to be male. I sorted more seeds, discarded more males and then decided to put him to work.

An early trial with non-selective 1:1 pairings showed a consistent pattern across all lines: about 3-4 out of 10 plants had very strong blueberry smells, with another 2-3 having somewhat muted berry / wine smells, mixed in with other notes from the outcross. 2-4 would have a much more indica dominant growth pattern with much heavier/thicker meristems and a more central cola frame. 1 out of 20 or so would have a putrid burnt rubber smell, that was a throw back plant to Arnold. Those plants, tended to be male.

All in all, I learned what to look for, leaning HEAVILY on Chili's input and pointers and tips for finding the best potential parent - and we picked out a great stud. His patience with me, is in part responsible for my willingness to help others make selections, if they post up pictures.

------------------------
When Stank Bros released Carolina Blue x Digi Bx1 - it wasn't quite the cross I hoped it'd be. The two plants, rather than meshing in some beautiful harmony, seemed to fight each other for dominance. The F2's seem to play MUCH nicer than the F1's ever did. That line included like 6 or 7 different blueberry generations in one cluster. The F2's are a potential gold mine.

That being said, I personally feel, the work that VerdantGreen did with is DP Blueberry mom and my Digi Bx1 pollen - has consistently produced, more unique, more stable/grower friendly plants - just all around better plants - than the CB x DB has to date.

That is just my honest opinion. For that reason, Lester, I'd say, for the time being, the best blueberry I currently know of on the market, that WILL produce true Blueberry Muffin phenos and some real exotic old school blueberry calyxes stacked into beautiful flowers - then VerdantGreen's BlueDigiBerry F2 - is a without question, one of, if not THE best contender you will currently find.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chili Berkster's Digital Berry Clone: She's the real deal. I've been trying to tell people this for a decade.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The ONLY current legitimate vendor of any Digi stock I can fully endorse, is VerdantGreen Seeds. VG did great work with the blueberry and he's helped many people find what they thought was lost.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
These are the types of plants I was isolating from with the Bx1 gene pool to help find the proper dad:

Digi Bx1 - Digital Berry dominants - @ 49 days - yes - correct. Full senescence at 49 days. :jawdrop:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This isn't "fake blueberry" - this is what it is SUPPOSED to be. This is what it once was. What somehow got lost in the mix and filtered out in the late 90's early 2k's.

But honestly, if Digi tasted like hay, I'd still want the smoke because the effects are unlike anything I find in modern lines. It is medicine for the soul.

dank.Frank

'Boogieman'

These are the types of plants I was isolating from with the Bx1 gene pool to help find the proper dad:

Digi Bx1 - Digital Berry dominants - @ 49 days - yes - correct. Full senescence at 49 days. :jawdrop:

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

This isn't "fake blueberry" - this is what it is SUPPOSED to be. This is what it once was. What somehow got lost in the mix and filtered out in the late 90's early 2k's.

But honestly, if Digi tasted like hay, I'd still want the smoke because the effects are unlike anything I find in modern lines. It is medicine for the soul.

dank.Frank

That is by far the coolest leaf/trichome picture I have ever seen.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you! It was an ICmag Picture of the Month winner once upon a time when that was a thing...

dank.Frank

elanius

Veteran
Original Blueberry (Dj Short)

Original Blueberry (Dj Short)

A blueberry sativa expression with berry/fruity/nutty/baked smell, similar to baked cake, she was not consistent in the smell, very sensitive, but once i grew her under LEDs my gf said it reminded her blueberry muffins (without me asking about it ofcourse!). It really was similar, but the smell was not very loud..The high was some of the best, it brought so much emotions and good vibes, stimulating and pleasant, incredible weed.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Now the digiberry is much closer as frank said, i can only agree. I had 3 females and one of them smelled like fresh squeezed blueberries, i was amazed. Truly incredible line. The high on this pheno was very relaxing and sleepy, unfortunately. But im sure there are gems hiding in there!
Digi:
picture.php

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Just harvest this Seedsman Blueberry from my indoor grow 62days flowering. I grew these outdoors last year and really liked them. It's the most flavors Ive tasted in a BB. I like Seedsman version but it's not like the old DP I used to run. I had issues with mites, this lady shouldve fattened up a bit more. But it is what it is, and this is some great smoke. I can't wait to get her dry and cured a bit

Attachments

• 20190616_014651.jpg
    20190616_014651.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190616_014723.jpg
    20190616_014723.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190616_014752.jpg
    20190616_014752.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 34

QQNPK

Jesus you guys are KILLING me with these blueberry pics i want that stuff !! Im a sucker for colors but damn this is crazy and i love blueberries aswell plucking so much of them as a kid its just pure love but lately iv not found as much berries as when young.. oops im drifting off sorry about that guys. Super thread !! :tiphat:

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To piggy back on this comment from VG and to make sure that Lester does in fact have the right information...

100% of all credit for that gene pool goes to Chili_Berkster.

He and I used to hang out in chat and talk for hours. I had a blueberry experience I had enjoyed - a lone 1/8th from a work associate, and such flowers never to be seen again. I was looking for medical lines at the time to address anxiety and stress levels. After talking for many months, Chili started discussing Digi with me and his work and her history.

The Digi clone - is pushing 30+ years old - and Chili does in fact still have her alive and well. It's not 100% known what she is. She is a very finicky plant, that grows like a thai based gene pool, based on her sensitivities, but flowers in 52-55 days. She also, just happens to taste EXACTLY like Blueberry muffins. The smoke lingers in the room to the point someone entering an hour later, having no clue you consume cannabis, will head directly to the kitchen and expect there to be fresh baked homemade blueberry muffins with a lovely crumb topping sitting on the counter.

It's legitimate.

Outside of that though, her effects - border just slightly on the 3rd-eye side of things. It's as if being out of body, observing yourself and the room from a camera positioned up high in the corner some where. Your thought processes and state of emotional awareness are heightened. Stress melts. Anxiety vanishes. Peace and tranquility and this awestruck wonderment with the universe sort of takes over and you just want to go bask in the sun and spin in a field of flowers.... :joint:

Again, Digi is LEGIT.

Sensitive? Yes. Over feed? Nanners. Light stress? Nanners. Root bound? Nanners. High temps? Nanners. Over-water? Nanners. Flower too long? Nanners. :laughing:

However, if you are a good grower, she has zero of these issues. She's just a queen who knows when there is a pea under her mattress.

The Digital Berry clone was outcrossed to a male Chili Berkster called Arnold, which was selected from Sour Bubble Bx2 seeds from BOG. He called that line, BlueBubble - and he documented it and several of the outcrosses here on IC in the earlier days. So the Bx1 line, Digi x (Digi x Sour Bubble Bx2).

I spent 3 years sorting the Bx1 seeds Chili had gifted me. I trialed 2 males before I found the one I though was THE FEMALE, I was after. Turned out to be male. I sorted more seeds, discarded more males and then decided to put him to work.

An early trial with non-selective 1:1 pairings showed a consistent pattern across all lines: about 3-4 out of 10 plants had very strong blueberry smells, with another 2-3 having somewhat muted berry / wine smells, mixed in with other notes from the outcross. 2-4 would have a much more indica dominant growth pattern with much heavier/thicker meristems and a more central cola frame. 1 out of 20 or so would have a putrid burnt rubber smell, that was a throw back plant to Arnold. Those plants, tended to be male.

All in all, I learned what to look for, leaning HEAVILY on Chili's input and pointers and tips for finding the best potential parent - and we picked out a great stud. His patience with me, is in part responsible for my willingness to help others make selections, if they post up pictures.

------------------------
When Stank Bros released Carolina Blue x Digi Bx1 - it wasn't quite the cross I hoped it'd be. The two plants, rather than meshing in some beautiful harmony, seemed to fight each other for dominance. The F2's seem to play MUCH nicer than the F1's ever did. That line included like 6 or 7 different blueberry generations in one cluster. The F2's are a potential gold mine.

That being said, I personally feel, the work that VerdantGreen did with is DP Blueberry mom and my Digi Bx1 pollen - has consistently produced, more unique, more stable/grower friendly plants - just all around better plants - than the CB x DB has to date.

That is just my honest opinion. For that reason, Lester, I'd say, for the time being, the best blueberry I currently know of on the market, that WILL produce true Blueberry Muffin phenos and some real exotic old school blueberry calyxes stacked into beautiful flowers - then VerdantGreen's BlueDigiBerry F2 - is a without question, one of, if not THE best contender you will currently find.

dank.Frank

That is quite the testament Frank.

Makes me kind of wish I had sought those out instead of Mosca's Old Time Moonshine.

I'll have to keep an eye out for Verdant's offerings out there on the innerwebs.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
There is an old BB line that predates Digiberry.
And, its pure, so youre not dealing with some polluted genetics from Sour Bubble.

Mr. Blue.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
How would one find Mr. Blue?

Thank you dank.frank for the info and pics. I am looking forward to growing out the Digi! Beautiful pics!

Thank you to everyone else who has posted info as well!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Elanius - that is beautiful. Love seeing the colors come through on that True Blueberry! I also wasn't aware you had ever run anything with the Digi line work in it. YOU know your blueberry and I've read along with many of your posts. For you to say the line holds the true flavor, is indeed a testament. :respect:

dank.Frank

Last edited: