What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED Microgrow

RaZoR!

First real thread on ICmag!

Synopsis :

I currently have 2 plants, bagseed. OG/Chemdog genetics, can't be sure on the exact strain or cut. 20 days in under 4 x 23watt 6500k CFLs in a 1x2 area. Bulbs are placed within 1-2 inches. Using FFOF w/perlite in 1 liter pots. GH flora nutrients at 1/2 strength. Watering every other day. Plant 1 is about 4 inches tall and about 5 inches wide. Plant 2 is about 3 inches tall and 7 inches wide. Have been vegging 18/6 the whole life cycle and plan to maybe veg for a total of 4-5 weeks depending on the growth in the next week or so. Would be happy with 1 female and 1 oz.Temp has been consistent 75-80 degrees, (Gotta love so cal:)) with RH 30-50%.Ventilating with a plug in fan, not sure of the specs, just a little cheap 10$ fan that you can use batteries or an AC plug in. Plan to upgrade the fan with more lights and heat.

Plants are in great shape, plant 2 now has 5 blade fan leaves at the 4 node. Plant 1 still has not grown its 5 blade leaves, but it is 1 inch taller.

Last edited:

MicroRoy

Check out what Blynx is doing in his cabinets.

If you can find some shallow pots. A gallon or less.

If you have not already bought your HPS. Check out those post by blinx. Getting good results with those LED,s.

RaZoR!

Plant 1 and Plant 2

Attachments

• IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0620.jpg
    IMG_0620.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 35

RaZoR!

Picture 1 and 3 are Plant 2 and Pictures 2 and 4 are Plant 1. The last picture is plant 1 and 2 , left to right. Both plants shot up noticeably overnight. Tomorrow is officially 3 weeks.

I have a feeling that plant 1 is a male. Its growth pattern and leaves just look kind of suspect. I could be wrong and it is very early, but Plant 1 developed the quickest at first and now Plant 2 is just barely shorter and much wider. Any signs to look for? Quicker that I can sex the better.

I also accidentally hit my fans leaves on my fan and it chipped up a few of them. Nothing major.

Last edited:

MicroRoy

They look nice. You are doing good.:tiphat:

I think you need 50 post before you can edit your posts.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Hey, I used CFL's switched to HPS and switched back to CFL's. Much less heat, and not an appreciable difference in yield. Cheaper too, but you know that. Good luck.

RaZoR!

Hey, I used CFL's switched to HPS and switched back to CFL's. Much less heat, and not an appreciable difference in yield. Cheaper too, but you know that. Good luck.

I agree, but I have seen contrasting opinions admittedly.

1 150watt hps 75$ shipped. Would be getting around 8000 lumens/sq ft. 16000 total.

4 x 23 watt 6500k bulbs was about 18$.
2 clip on ballasts with reflector(taken off) are 12$
2 Y splitters are 6$
4 x 42 watt 2700k bulbs will cost about 40$

76$ total, 11200 lumens. or 5600 lumens per square foot.

Now from what I have been reading , the CFLs put out more useful light in terms of light spectrum, but the HPS just puts out way more lumens. Would I achieve a better product and yield using the CFLs, which is less lumens but more usable light, or the HPS, which has better penetration and lumens, but more heat and a less ideal spectrum? Also wouldn't the 150W use less then 168w of CFLs, or does the self ballasted unit really pull 200w?

TheScrogFrog

A 150w HPS doesn't have very good coverage compared to multiple light sources.

More bulbs = more coverage.

I'd rather have more light sources than the single 150w HPS.

I haven't tested yet but I would bet $1000 on 145w worth of LED destroying my 150w HPS.

Bout to test that out soon though. I know from growing CFL's they cover better than a single 150w HPS bulb. But the LED test shall begin soon.

RaZoR!

A 150w HPS doesn't have very good coverage compared to multiple light sources.

More bulbs = more coverage.

I'd rather have more light sources than the single 150w HPS.

I haven't tested yet but I would bet $1000 on 145w worth of LED destroying my 150w HPS.

Bout to test that out soon though. I know from growing CFL's they cover better than a single 150w HPS bulb. But the LED test shall begin soon.

I will finish out Veg with the CFLs but am now interested in the LEDS. Should I just get as many 2700k 10 watts that I can fit in my box. Seeing those 1g/watt returns is amazing.

RaZoR!

Day 23

Plants 2 and 1. Both about the same height but plant2 is much wider while plant one has gotten extremely tight growth . Both looking great minus a few tiny burn spots . I found out that my dropper bottle to measure nutes was defective and i wasnt getting accurate measurements . All fixed now. What should i flower under? All the led journals are promising but i am not to well versed in them. I plan to veg for another week or ten days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 40

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Now from what I have been reading , the CFLs put out more useful light in terms of light spectrum, but the HPS just puts out way more lumens. Would I achieve a better product and yield using the CFLs, which is less lumens but more usable light, or the HPS, which has better penetration and lumens, but more heat and a less ideal spectrum? Also wouldn't the 150W use less then 168w of CFLs, or does the self ballasted unit really pull 200w?

Would you achieve a BETTER product and yield? I wouldn't say that, but about the same.

I don't know how much power either one uses, but it's not significant for what sounds like a closet grow.

The big disadvantage of HPS for me was the amount of heat they generated. It's a lot more than 8 or 10 42w CFL's. If you like to look at your plants a lot, better get some really dark sunglasses, and maybe some sunblock :biggrin: it's gonna get hot in there.:sasmokin:

Hope this helps you grow big buds.

p.s.- I think the 42 watt CFL's are the ideal size if you can find them.

MicroRoy

I will finish out Veg with the CFLs but am now interested in the LEDS. Should I just get as many 2700k 10 watts that I can fit in my box. Seeing those 1g/watt returns is amazing.

Shoot for 50 watts per square foot.

RaZoR!

Not well. They are some what directional. Where the hps or cfl throw light on all directions.

I just read the whole led bulb comparison thread and have thought about my options.

I am not versed in wiring bulbs in series, I have a little electrical knowledge and could figure it out, but would want someone to walk me through. Should I just get a punch of clip on reflectors? Have like

Right now I have 4 x 23 watts in my square foot cab, and will transfer them to a 2.75 square foot cab in flower as it has about 3 feet of height. If people recommend 50/square foot, how would I get 14 10watt LEDs in my cab without a million plugs? Would I just have to use like 6 20 watts?

MicroRoy

picture.php

I picked these up for $1.44. They are pretty easy to wire.

You could wire 14 all on one or two plugs.

RaZoR!

Day 25

Day 25

I had to up my camera game to give you guys a better picture of whats going.

Plants 2+1 have are dramatically growing probably around a 1/2 inch everyday and constantly getting bushier. I have my 7 blade fan leaves now coming in and so really nice lush green growth coming up. I would say they are both around between 5-6 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_1392[1].jpg
    IMG_1392[1].jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited: