What's new

Any pilots here?

M

Mr-B

I have a few expensive hobbies, the biggest one is flying. I've been a pilot for the past 9 years, I purchased a Cirrus SR-22 back in 2006 for family fun and entertaining clients.
sr-22.jpg

My plane has a 1300 payload capacity and 4 seats which makes it cool for the kids and friends as well. My favorite fly In's ($100 hamburger trips) are KTVL (S. Lake Tahoe) and KRNO (Reno NV). I'm based in N. Calif.

For the record: I've never flown stoned nor drunk. In fact, I never get high the same day I fly.

Happy Holloween all. :pumpkin:

B

H

humboldtlocal

I am hoping to take flying lessons soon. It has been a long time dream and I have a friend who has gotten into flying and bought a plane last year.

H

humboldtlocal

Whats a plane like that go for? You can shoot me a PM if that is too personal. Thanks.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Nice plane you have there. I love aviation, and yes it is an expensive hobby.

I watched my grandad build a kitfox when I was younger and have flown in it many times. He has flown and owned planes his whole life. He always talks about how cheap they used to be and about how if he would have known the prices would skyrocket he would have bought a few and locked them up for a while.

I can't wait to get my pilots liscence and start flying. I like building things, so naturally I'm into experimental planes. My grandad had a strip in his backyard which made flying very convenient. I'd like to build a witman tailwind one day and eventually step up to a Bellanca Super Viking or a canard 4-place Velocity. The Bellanca would be much cheaper though.

I was chatting with one of my customers once and somehow we got on the subject of planes/flying and it turns out he has 3 planes and a few years back donated a PC 12 to charity. I was totally blown away, I didn't have a clue he was into flying, I knew he has money but dam, a pc 12 is about 3.5 mil.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The expense of my hobby depends on how hidden it stays. lawyer fees can add up fast.

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
very cool!

i dont drive a car and never will...but have always thought about flying a plane....just the other day i was on the train passing the local air port seeing plans take off and my heart said "man i want to do that... i WANT to do that ! " i guess us humans arnt happy just watching the birds fly...we want to do it too..

..lol...ive never ever even been up in a plane before.....but spent my child hood living under the flight path and saw planes about ever 60 - 90 seconds going over every day...i guess thats where i got the idea from?....enjoy man.HH. =]-~

M

Mr-B

Sam the cave man: Got get your license bro. Don't put it off or you risk not ever getting it. It takes dedication to become a pilot. It took me 6 months flying 2-3 times a week 2 hours each flight.

Homboltlocal: A 2009 SR-22 costs about $640k (less tax and license)
I purchased mine used with 960 hobbs hours. I paid $240 which was financed for 20 years.

Trichy: I have about 600 logged hours. :joint:

Getting your license is easy. Just head down to your local small airport and they will have flight lessons. The cost is based upon the type of plane you want to fly. I paid $200 hr for each lesson which included instruction.
You can fly for less than $100 if you train in a different plane than I did.
I logged 66 flight hours prior to getting my license. If you think getting high is fun, try flying.... It's a kick in the ass.

Some people think I'm a snob because I have money, nothing could be further from the truth. I help anyone whenever I can. I've been very fortunate in life, extremely blessed to be in my shoes most of the time. My brother and I bought $40k worth of cell phones last Christmas and sent them to the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Extremely fortunate to be alive, especially with cancer
Peace all.

B

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mr-B interesting thread. Great to see flyers among us. I do not fly but my late father flew his entire life, a helicopter pilot landing Sikorskys for the Marines in Korea. He moved on to bush flying in Alaska, Head test pilot for Hiller for some years and then starting his own company with a Hiller 12E and SL3. So I have "been" flying all my life before he passed and to places most could never imagine..a likely reason for my photography skills. I love it and don't know why I never started myself. I'll watch and wave if I see you fly by neighbor..DD

M

Mr-B

I have big respect for those Alaska bush pilots. Those guys are the elite pilots of our time that's for sure.

You must miss flying my friend, I'm not sure what I would do if i never got to fly again. Too bad you don't live close, we could fly out for hamburgers.

B

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
I want to fly, so far I am a pilot by ground.

remote control planes only so far BUT made it over 100mph with them, onboard cameras and all that jazz.

Someday I will own a plane and agree with the no smoke/no drink policy for sure. Now with rc flight however I have been BLAZED off my ass and it really did make me feel one with the plane I was controlling WHICH really did calm the nerves at times.

I want to get my pilots license sooner than later and hope to accomplish that before I am 40.

M

Mr-B

I got mine when I was 38 as a B.day present to mysel.

Stop putting it off, grab the phone book and call your local general aviation airport. An introdictory flight is about $125.00 and you do most of the flying, the very first time.

B

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Just a bit of a high ticket there Mr B for the C22 .....but has quite the latest gear & lovely cockpit , guess this would be the Lexus of its class .

Not a bad idea to go get some flying lessons which would be something really fun to study & to have...thanks for the inspiration .

* The CAPS parachute system really appeals to me ...soft vs crash landings always have ! ;)

ROJO145

Veteran
Nice but I wont make that money in my life!!
Airframes Unlimited and many others have powered parachutes,extremely stable low speed flyers,always under an open canopy and YES,get stoned and fly,NO ONE has ever died in one.and ALL for around 6 grand dig!!
http://www.airframesunlimited.com/
did I mention........NO LICENSEING REQUIRED ALL FAR103 COMPLIANT!!

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
There are a bunch of videos on youtube with some amazing backcountry landings.

There is this guy in idaho with some unbelievable videos, his handle is taildrgfun. He has this one video where he pushes his plane down a hill with the engine off, takes off, flys it through this valley and lands in a gravel bar all with the engine off.

Ms_Weekend

172, glass panel here.....fairly new with about 300hrs or so

Attachments

• P1010271.JPG
    P1010271.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 0011.JPG
    0011.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 22
  • P1000735.JPG
    P1000735.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 23
  • P1000737.JPG
    P1000737.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 24

ToughGirl

I took flying lessons when I was in CAP, many years ago. Then I went to school for AF/PP mechanics and avionics. Got my FAA certification back in 85, then worked as a aircraft mechanic in the military for over a long time. Flying is an amazing hobby, and it's really a rush. Although I'm more of a small jet fan than prop planes. It's just so expensive to maintain your license, and it was really expensive 20 years ago, I couldn't imagine how much it costs now.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Your looking at about $10k for a general aviation licence (GA), nowadays if you have no experience, rent a plane and pay for an instructor.

If you want to get a LSA (light sport aircraft) licence, ~$4k with no experience, plane rental and instructor costs.

If you want to go into the ultralight class, the costs of the flying apparatus of your choice weighing under 249 pounds and a box of diapers. Self instruction is not recommended.

ToughGirl

I always wanted to fly an ultralight, they seem like a lot of fun, albeit a bit scary and dangerous! Did you ever see those little tiny helicopters? Those would be really fun!:):)