Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > Cuttings & Propagation Techniques > Help with air layering

Thread Title Search
Help with air layering Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2019, 02:37 PM #41
SuperBadGrower

SuperBadGrower is just really niceSuperBadGrower is just really niceSuperBadGrower is just really niceSuperBadGrower is just really niceSuperBadGrower is just really niceSuperBadGrower is just really niceSuperBadGrower is just really niceSuperBadGrower is just really nice
They're really awesome for it! If they're close to your light they'll dry out double-time, so you gotta keep an eye on them if you don't plan to wrap something around it. I cut them open and put some rooting hormone on the inside from top to bottom before tying it around the stem. Obviously the branch needs to be able to carry some weight to support a full root sponge, but you could cut it in half and achieve the same result.
SuperBadGrower is offline Quote

Old 05-07-2019, 04:51 AM #42
Drop That Sound

Drop That Sound has disabled reputation
SBG: nice man way to save some work, I should have tried one without girdling the stem but never thought too. I will compare with and without the bark next time I do some air layering.

Ya they do dry out fast, I liked using 3 rapid root (I think mine were root riots?) plugs because I didn't have to inject them so often. Rockwool seemed to dry out even faster.

I have a medical IV bag with a manifold and extra tubes ready to go when I do another batch in the future, along with a bunch of industrial syringe tips to poke into the wraps. That way they continually self water themselves via gravity feed.
Drop That Sound is offline Quote

Old 06-16-2019, 01:54 PM #43
madalasatori

madalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of light
How often do they require watering? If wrapped in plastic could I leave a rapid footer for 4 or 5 days between waterings? I guess they don’t dry out quickly of wrapped in plastic..0
madalasatori is online now Quote

Old 06-16-2019, 03:06 PM #44
SuperBadGrower

SuperBadGrower is just really niceSuperBadGrower is just really niceSuperBadGrower is just really niceSuperBadGrower is just really niceSuperBadGrower is just really niceSuperBadGrower is just really niceSuperBadGrower is just really niceSuperBadGrower is just really nice
Depends on the light I guess. If the wrapped plug is hanging in the heat of an HID light or the air path of ventilation I would still pay close attention to it. That said the rooters I keep in a closed dome stay wet for days. Wrapping them should help last a few days for sure. You'll usually be doing this near the bottom or middle of the plant anyway.

Last edited by SuperBadGrower; 06-16-2019 at 03:24 PM..
SuperBadGrower is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:10 PM #45
RoyalFlush

RoyalFlush is just really niceRoyalFlush is just really niceRoyalFlush is just really niceRoyalFlush is just really niceRoyalFlush is just really niceRoyalFlush is just really niceRoyalFlush is just really niceRoyalFlush is just really niceRoyalFlush is just really niceRoyalFlush is just really nice
Don't know why this is complicated for some,
1.) Scratch/peel stem and clean it.
2.) Add rooting hormone ( Rooting powder works best ).
3.) Wrap on damp Rockwool or preffered medium.
4.) Wrap with ALUMINUM FOIL to protect from heat.

This is how Plant Nurseries in Florida air layer out doors

Last edited by RoyalFlush; 06-16-2019 at 05:23 PM..
RoyalFlush is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:16 PM #46
madalasatori

madalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of lightmadalasatori is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks mate, I will post my results in a few weeks time
madalasatori is online now Quote

Old 06-19-2019, 06:48 AM #47
Drop That Sound

Drop That Sound has disabled reputation
Including all the other factors mentioned above, the size of the clone to be taken makes a big difference in how fast they dry out too. I remember them drying out everyday on the biggest ones, and by big I mean like 3ft tall bushy branches with fat stems. I would only use single root plugs or small rockwool cubes on small clones. For big ones I'd go with a lot more medium\plugs.

There really isn't much too it, as also stated. Even if some of them dry out it doesn't really set you back that much, unlike taking traditional cuttings that probably wouldn't recover.
Drop That Sound is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.