What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why reclassification of cannabis may not be the best for the people.

shaggyballs

Veteran
If marijuana becomes a Schedule II drug, the FDA would subject companies to intense inspections and testing. Companies would need to get their packaging and labeling approved by the FDA; the Federal Trade Commission would be there to ensure companies don't sink to unfair or deceptive marketing and advertising practices. If marijuana was de-scheduled, and placed into the same category of alcohol and tobacco, it would fall under the purview of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. That has its own maw of legal hoops to maneuver.

If the FDA came out and said we are making cannabis Schedule II and the entire industry didn't change, the whole industry would be illegally trafficking a Schedule II substance," says Hank Levy, a CPA for marijuana companies, including Harborside, one of the largest dispensaries in the nation. Simply put, the industry as it stands today would not be legal under a whole set of other laws.

What if the DEA and FDA do the same thing to marijuana as they did with opium and outlaw the actual plant and only permit pharmaceutical pills? What would the marijuana industry do if suddenly pot was only legal in pill form?

De-scheduling would allow use for non-medical, recreational purposes like alcohol.
If the DEA de-schedules marijuana, big tobacco companies could take over, and the fears of many anti-marijuana advocates would be realized. Rescheduling would allow use like a regular prescription issued by a physician and filled by a pharmacy under a DEA license, like Codeine. If this happened, marijuana prescriptions would almost certainly be allowed only in traditional medicinal forms, such as pills and extract drops and perhaps topical lotions and nebulizers. It’s unlikely that the DEA and the Food and Drug Administration would allow prescriptions for smokable marijuana or pot brownies and other edibles.

Because prescriptions are not taxed, state and local jurisdictions would lose millions of dollars in tax revenues. Colorado collected nearly $135 million in medical and recreational marijuana taxes and license fees in 2015 on a combined medical and recreational market of nearly $1 billion. With a prescription-only industry, states would lose their current marijuana-related jobs to existing pill-manufacturing companies.
Remember all legislative powers are granted by the people and therefore are privileges that can also taken away by the people. "It's a plant and it can grow anywhere. The only way they can take it away from us is if we give it to them."

:smoke out:
shag

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Removing cannabis from the list is the ONLY legitimate option!

Any regulation, upon the individual, is a violation of our personal freedom of choice.

Preacher

What if the DEA and FDA do the same thing to marijuana as they did with opium and outlaw the actual plant and only permit pharmaceutical pills? What would the marijuana industry do if suddenly pot was only legal in pill form?
Marinol exists. That hasn't gone well.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
What happens if they get it right this time?
Then it will be pharmacy only, or government cannabis for the rec. players.

you keep forgetting the black market. it aint going away, you know...:woohoo: no matter who you are, or where you are at (even prison) whatever you want will be available...for a price.:) NOTHING is ever "right" the first time it is tried. normally, it takes half a dozen or more tries, & years of effort....and not EVERYONE will be happy THEN, either. right? :biggrin:

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
But it's the government, I'm sure they just wanna help....... Themselves

Fuck em!! They've been wrong for 75 years time to "just say no" re-elect no-body

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
Fuck the govt, how do you propose they're gonna find and stop me? I've been growing weed since i was 17 and smoking since i was 15. Out of all the 300 million plus Americans, why would i even worry about a couple thousand dick wads that think they get to control me? Why do you preach all this doom and gloom about legalization? Is the current system of going to prison for growing naturally occurring plants working for you?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Fuck the govt, how do you propose they're gonna find and stop me? I've been growing weed since i was 17 and smoking since i was 15. Out of all the 300 million plus Americans, why would i even worry about a couple thousand dick wads that think they get to control me? Why do you preach all this doom and gloom about legalization? Is the current system of going to prison for growing naturally occurring plants working for you?
If they want to 'get you'you're toast but you are right about 'the needle in the haystack' theory of being one of 100 million others to focus on but don't care how long you been doing it if youre in a not legal MMJ state they DO want to find you and they have time on their side.:tiphat:

EDIT: and they will be happy to pay for your stay at the Graybar hotel..

armedoldhippy

Veteran
as fast as the walls are falling, time may be on OUR side! i am ambivalent about the "honor" of being the last victim of the "War on Drugs". it would be nice to know that it won't happen to anyone else though. the ultimate "taking one for the team" i guess...:comfort:

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
If they want to 'get you'you're toast but you are right about 'the needle in the haystack' theory of being one of 100 million others to focus on but don't care how long you been doing it if youre in a not legal MMJ state they DO want to find you and they have time on their side.:tiphat:

EDIT: and they will be happy to pay for your stay at the Graybar hotel..

of course they will, i'm worth more alive and enslaved to them than i am free or dead. so in those immortal words of whoever said it first.

"Get your goddamn hands away from me or one of us is going to get fucked up!"

or to paraphrase. "give me liberty of give me death"

Preacher

What happens if they get it right this time?
Then it will be pharmacy only, or government cannabis for the rec. players.
They won't. Marinol's been for sale the same year I was born (1985), the DEA uses that pill as an excuse for not approving weed in any other form, and NIDA refuses to allow scientific research regarding even the extracts of weed, such as extracting from low-THC, high CBD strains that have proven to be superb anti-seizure medicine while also not getting the patient high (CBD counteracts the high of THC). Cannabis can't be reclassified or removed on a Federal level unless we withdraw from the Single Convention, and seeing as that's an international treaty we came up with which holds the same weight as an Amendment to the Constitution, according to the Constitution, reversing course on that might take a while.

shaggyballs

Veteran
They won't. Marinol's been for sale the same year I was born (1985), the DEA uses that pill as an excuse for not approving weed in any other form, and NIDA refuses to allow scientific research regarding even the extracts of weed, such as extracting from low-THC, high CBD strains that have proven to be superb anti-seizure medicine while also not getting the patient high (CBD counteracts the high of THC). Cannabis can't be reclassified or removed on a Federal level unless we withdraw from the Single Convention, and seeing as that's an international treaty we came up with which holds the same weight as an Amendment to the Constitution, according to the Constitution, reversing course on that might take a while.

I would not bank on that, there is suddenly a lot more $$$$$$$$$$ to pay for things, in other words the profit margin just doubled or tripled.
Watch and see medical will be all about the pharmacy.
Who has the money to control medical cannabis...Big Pharm.

Dabasaurusrex

Honestly they should toss the whole list and simply educate the youth on drugs. The whole notion that the government should decide what drugs can be sold and how much of each is manufactured is ludicrous. Opana and Dilaudid are both more potent than heroin yet they are Sch. 2 and it is Sch. 1. In less than legal states it's definitely not an uncommon sight to see injured vets or elderly people walking into heroin houses even where CBD is legal. Street doctors don't give out any side effect warnings or dosage info. But to be more on topic this does seem like it could pose somewhat of an issue but I'm sure with the nature of something so easy to grow, I doubt anyone is really going to be able to stop the relatively unbridled use of medical cannabis where it has already gained traction though.

Gry

Can almost imagine a Disney film all about how big pharma made cannabis safe for the world.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
as fast as the walls are falling, time may be on OUR side! i am ambivalent about the "honor" of being the last victim of the "War on Drugs". it would be nice to know that it won't happen to anyone else though. the ultimate "taking one for the team" i guess...:comfort:
You mean like waiting on charges in a med state for to many CBD plants is honorable? Huh just feels stupid if you wanna kno.

Latest posts

Latest posts