What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how to estimate dosage

the gnome

Veteran
got a big party I'm heading out to around the 4th and Ive been designated to make brownies for 25-maybe 40 people.
i have soe nice hi grade and also mids to use.

last time i made brownies was the late 70s
I had a 1/4bow of red hair and dumped in the brownie mix for
4 of us. it was a tad too much imho
I don't want the entire party to end up like we did....
it wasn't a social type of buzz, more of a stupor,
end up in bed and waking up the next day kind of experience :biggrin:

is there a good thread somewhere that explains general dosages
for hi-n-mid grades.
I'm going to carboxylate for 250F for 30mi.

thinking of making butter and using a brownie mix that
you add oil too

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
6oz of kief has been added for my use to do with as i please ,
I think this will be a great way to use A starting dosage for beginners is 5 milligrams per serving (the Colorado-mandated serving size for marijuana-infused edibles is 10m straight into the brownie mix without having to do the extra step infusing the butter
but again dosage is the Q?

a gram per dose? 2...?

gdbud

http://beyondchronic.com/2015/11/ohs-law-of-cannabis-edible-potency/

OH’s Law Of Cannabis Edible Potency
People have been asking me quite a bit lately “How the ^%#@! do I figure out the potency of home-made capsules or edibles?” So I thought I’d sit down (after one of my own capsules kicked in) and write it up once and for all.

Yes, the title is a play on “Ohm’s Law”, and just like Ohm’s Law, the real power is in knowing which form of the formula to use. So I’ve written up some examples. And even though I think I have a good handle on my ego, I still have enough of one that I’d like to get credit for working this out. So here you go, world.

G = grams of cannabis
P = potency in milligrams of THC
S = strength of cannabis in percent
N = number of servings

For the S factor, you simply read the strength off the label if it’s legit stuff from a dispensary. Otherwise, assume 20% for top shelf/fire buds, 10% to 15% for mids/reggie, and 5% for schwag/brickweed.

For concentrates, assume 30% for kief, 40% for hash, 60% for hash oil, 80% for shatter.

What Potency Will My Edibles Be?
What potency will my edibles be if I start with G grams of S strength and I want N servings?

P = \frac {10 (G * S)} N

For instance, let’s say you have an eighth ounce of Really Good Weed that’s 20% THC and you want to make 16 brownies. How strong will each of them be?

An eighth ounce is 3.5 grams, so it’s

10 * (3.5 * 20) / 16 = 700 / 16 = 43.75 mg each

Notice that the amount of oil, butter, alcohol, or whatever you use has nothing to do with the calculation! So if you’re making enough cannabutter or canna-coconut oil for a batch of brownies, you use the amount your recipe calls for 16 brownies, and that’s all there is to it.

Also, if you’re trying to calculate CBD or any other cannabinoid, it’s the same formula, you just have to know what the percentage of CBD is, which is always given as a percentage by weight.

How Many Servings Will I Get?
How many servings will I get if I start with G grams of S strength and I want P potency?

N = \frac {10 (G * S)} P

Example: You just bought a quarter ounce of mids and you’re looking to make some fairly light capsules with 5 milligrams of THC each. How many can you make? A quarter ounce is 7 grams, and we can estimate that “mids” are about 10% THC, so:

10 * (7 * 10) / 5 = 700 / 5 = 140

You’d end up with 140 capsules. Now, to figure out how much coconut oil you’d need, let’s say you’ll be using #00 capsules, which hold 0.95 ml each. 140 * 0.95 = 133 ml, or just about 9 tablespoons.

How Many Grams of Cannabis Will I Need?
How many grams of cannabis will you need to make N servings of P potency, if the cannabis is S strength?

G = \frac {N * P}{10S}

Example: you want to make 24 brownies with a solid 75 mg THC in each, but all you have is schwag. How much of this schwag are you going to have to stuff into your butter?

Let’s be generous and say schwag is 5% THC, so:

24 * 75 / 10 * 5 = 1800 / 50 = 36 grams, or enough to get you in real trouble in most states where you are limited to buying schwag.

And, just to be complete:

S = \frac {N * P}{10G}

This form tells you “how strong of a strain do I need if I am starting with G grams and want N servings of P potency each?” Not generally useful or practical, but there you go.

Credit Where Credit Is Due
Please credit “Old Hippie of BeyondChronic.com”, and link to this article instead of republishing it as your own work!

the gnome

Veteran
thanks for the post gdbud!

ok think i have a recipe,
7grams of keif to 16 brownies/doses
roughly half grams of kief per dose, should be potent but not over the top.
comments any chefs out there using kief in their edibles

1 last Q, if using keif
do i carboxylate it?
or do you do that with plant material

thanks again

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Not how I do it...

Not how I do it...

I make 60mg Indica CannaCookies all the time and I use Coconut Oil infused with THC.

I make two pounds of CocoCanna Oil using two ounces of 20% Indica Bud and use 4 ounces of CocoCanna Oil for 25 high doses.

That's enough for 200 Snickerdoodle CannaCookies @ 60mg each.

They may be too much for your group.

Good Luck :party: Let us know how it goes!

the gnome

Veteran
that's put into better to understand laymans term 420.
so from 2oz of very good grade indica your getting 200 strong doses then.
that's way more doses than I would have thought, not sure if i figure it right but at 100 strong doses per 28grams or well less than 1/2gm per dose or .35gm per?
doesn't sound right to me

the gnome

Veteran
1/4oz Kief can make a hot pan of brownies whew

well then...?
how about a 1/4oz of kief making 2 very warm pans of brownies :D

so then, the 1/4zip of kief and cut 25-30 brownies from the pan,
not so hot but still exciting.
fukit, i have a friend dying to be a tester for the edibles
I'll do the 7grams of kief in the pan and cut 14 brownies out.
give him 1 piece cut in 1/2 and tell him to eat 1/2 1st and see where it takes him, wait 3 hrs before deciding if he wants the other 1/2

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
that's way more doses than I would have thought, not sure if i figure it right but at 100 strong doses per 28grams or well less than 1/2gm per dose or .35gm per?

yeah man, that's about right for most edibles, a good dose is 0.3-0.6 some ladies with medical do 0.1 in some cases. that is 1 gram per 10 servings and they are still getting blasted, they are light weights of course.

eating the stuff is different than smoking it or vaping, a little goes a long way.

doing too much gets many people freaked out. better be careful, you'll have a bunch of light weights in the mix, don't wanna have people making scenes and shit.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Here's my math ...

Here's my math ...

2 ounces = 57 grams X 20% = 11.3 grams of THC extracted.

11.3 grams % 200 doses = 56mg per Cookie

the gnome

Veteran
doing too much gets many people freaked out. better be careful, you'll have a bunch of light weights in the mix, don't wanna have people making scenes and shit.

that's what my aim is,
keep the party partying and not a triage event.
there's going to be lightweights and seasoned heads in the mix.
14 HOT "fly by nite brownies" to a pan with a 1/4zip of keif
cut those in 1/2 and that'll be the std. dose,
light weights need to cut those in half
YMMV:biggrin:

Betterhaff

Veteran
I guess this story could be from "The Pioneers' Cookbook." The first few times we made brownies years ago we were trying to figure out how much to use. What we did was roll a joint and weighed it. We then weighed out enough ground pot for a joint per serving ie. recipe made 24 brownies we weighed enough for 24 joints. Way to strong and tasted like crap. We realized that you generally don't smoke a joint at one time by yourself and probably only intake about 20% of the goodies if that. With ingestion nothing is lost to smoke and absorption capabilities. So we cut the amount in half. Still plenty strong and tasted better.

I know this doesn't help much with your dosage question but thought our thought process was pretty funny.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I smoke a j down to nuthin by myself all the time...better to make brownies on the weaker side as you can eat more....I laid out a room of people once on brownies and to this day a few wont eat anything I say has thc in it...yeehaw/// theres always one in the group that over does it ..I have warned people all the time eat half man then wait and eat rest later.....most never listen

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
how much to use.... that is the question... sorry i can't help... but can tell u my experience..

i luv colorado edibles- get em from a friend, and 1 (plus a little more) cookie does me fine.. so i am figuring what i ingest is about 12... as the cookies are 10.. tho i gotta believe that the strength must vary from dispensary to dispensary. and even from crop to crop..

i made some cookies- i used 1 oz of sdkush buds (tops), with 2 sticks of butter, water into a crock pot for 8hrs.. after about 1 hr i gave it a stir and threw in another 2 buds, and some kif i had laying around... after draining the black water over the next 4days till it was clear, i then made my cookies... i used 44grams of the butter into 11 cookies...

the result... i ate one and was fuk'd ... i mean fuk'd... worse thing i have done in 40+years... i gave the cookies away to friends, who loved em, but i wont touch the leftover butter i still have...

i'll stick to colorado edibles when available...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
just add less thc butter next time..thats why I recommend making large batches of butter...then you can judge your need and adjust recipe as needed..then its easy to replicate..yeehaw...I have actually switched to coconut oil instead of butter now

the gnome

Veteran
ok, here's the results.
7gm hash into 23 no bake choc. oatmeal cookies.
estimated 2 doses per cookie.
it worked out really good and every one that did em had a great time.

the one guy who ate a whole cookie was a very seasoned smoker,
he disapppeared the entire day :D

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Glad it worked out for you and your friends..

Glad it worked out for you and your friends..

ok, here's the results.
7gm hash into 23 no bake choc. oatmeal cookies.
estimated 2 doses per cookie.
it worked out really good and every one that did em had a great time.

the one guy who ate a whole cookie was a very seasoned smoker,
he disapppeared the entire day :D

Sounds like you got the dosage about right.

:tiphat:

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I use to make weed brownies back in the early 2000's using bricked buds. The outcome was ok but it made me tired and lazy all day. I would love to make some with my own smoke but I have read too many stories about people freaking out from eating edibles. And I want non of that craziness.

I'm not a total light wait but I don't want to get high as a kite from my brownies! I want a good happy high that doesn't last all day or freak me out. Just nice and mellow.

So how much grounded bud should I use for making blueberry macadamia nut granola cookies?

this is a great thread for those who don't know the right ratio to use.