What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ken's Grand Daddy Purple

S

Seal-Clubber

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tester: myself

Breeder: "Ken"

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Growers[/FONT]: Local Nor-cal coop

Lineage: Ken's Grand Daddy Purple

Method Smoked: homemade stone and wooden pipe. (very clean tasting)

SMELL: citrus / sweet

TASTE: citrus / hashy

High/Stone: good

Resin production: I would guess about 12%-15%

Edit: After reading more reviews on the internet, many California medical patients are reporting that Ken's cut of (GDPxChampagne), a.k.a. "Ken's GDP" sux ass... It`s nothing like the real GDP cut from Mendo.

Overall: I was told by the coop this is Kens GDP. I also got a clone of it and I can tell you, I would expect the bud from the clone to look like this. It`s VERY indica, looks like "California Big Bud indica" to me. It has almost NO purple and nothing to set this aside from other mids - like kush ect.. I bought 1 ounce for $100 to test it. I am not happy with the product, Kens GDP kinda sux. I give Ken's GDP a 6 out of 10 rating.. My wife and I both know this was grown with chemical salts and not organic. My wife looks at me and says, "I can taste the chemicals". Burns a little too hot too.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] :rasta:

http://www.cannabissearch.com/strains/kens-grand-daddy-purple/
This link provided reports Ken's GDP is (GDP x Champagne)..

http://www.cannabissearch.com/strains/granddaddy-purple/
This is the real GDP. MUCH larger yields and MUCH fruitier taste..

I also have the "real" Granddaddy Purple in my seed storage, 100% of the plants go purple. I made a fem of the 2005 Grand Daddy Purple from Mendocino, with her sister plant, Mendocino "The Purp". "The Purp" is more indica looking than Mendo GDP but the Mendo GDP is more sativa looking than Ken`s version. Hope this helps.. My GDP produces giant purple flowers which smell and taste like fruity grapes. I give mine a 8/10 rating. When I first grew my GDP, I knew right away it was a (Purple Urkle x BC Big Bud) type hybrid. I think Ken used a California Big Bud/Champagne (80% indica)- it`s shitty, I would get rid of it.

My GDP:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

anyway, like i said.. I will grow Ken's GDP clone with professional organics and push her to her best. Let`s see if I can improve this report on a later date. I `m thinking Ken's GDP SUX!

[/FONT]

L

lemongrove

GDP Review of schwag

GDP Review of schwag

You reviewed the co-op and the grower which is not what these reviews are supposed to be for. This is supposed to be about smoke reports of a strain when you know exactly what it is. You say the strain you smoked looked nothing like "real" GDP and the co-op sold it for schwag prices. Come on man. You gave us a report of some schwag your local co-op conned you into buying by telling you it was GDP for a cheap price. :frown:
Your eyes told you it wasn't GDP and you should know because you've grown it before and the price tells you it's not GDP. You should have trusted your own knowledge of the strain, instead you discarded all of that because you heard $100 an ounce and GDP together.
You said the "real" GDP, when you say one is "real" you are insinuating that the other is not real, rates 8/10. An 8/10 is a very good rating. So GDP doesn't "kinda sux." The sample of something you got conned into buying at you local co-op which looks nothing like the "real" GDP and sold for schwag prices, kinda sux.
If you would have given us the name of the local conning Nor-cal co-op we would have had at least some practical knowledge we could use from your review. We would have known to stay away from the place.

S

Seal-Clubber

This is my 3rd bag of Kens GDP, first was from San Fransisco Mission Organic:
https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/california/san-francisco/mission-organic?c=dispensaries

Second was from Sacramento Safe Capitol Compassion Coop
https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/in/california/sacramento

This one was from a local coop which I can't name. They have MANY strains on their 60+acre farm and I usually pay $50-$100 for mid/top shelf.. they grow more than you might think. $100 is the going rate for Cali-medical dude.. The clubs will buy from the same people for $800 per pound. Didnt anyone tell you that? :rasta: Just kidding, i`ll stop poking the dead thing with a stick.

Let`s just say, "North of Sac/South of Humboldt." If they say it`s Ken's then - it is. It looks and tastes EXACTLY like what everyone else is calling Kens GDP. I have no reason to doubt them.

All of the Ken's GDP was the same, all shit, little to no color unless temps go down to high-50fs. About 8 years ago, Oakland had the real GDP with the grape flavor, purple, and fat buds, goes purple at 70f. Ken is the low-yield, no grape, imposter GDP, sorry. This is my opinion, the Kens GDP in the Bay Area SUX ASS. well.. It`s mids.. ALL OF IT! I don't care if people hate my post, the Ken's GDP going around right now is mids!!! 6/10

NO GRAPE FLAVOR, LITTLE OR NO PURPLE.. NOT GDP. It`s Ken's GDP which is not GDP. GDP comes from Mendo guys.. Get it together.. GDP was NOT created from a handicapped Bay Area cannabis shop owner who is battling financial issues with the DEA - named Ken Estes. :rasta:

Ken's GDP clone - easy to get, go to his Bay Area shop and buy it for $10:

I will do a side-by-side if anyone is interested but I know how the results will turn out.

If you want to learn something special, Mendocino "The Purp" and Granddaddy Purple are almost sister plants of each other. The grape taste, sweet smell, and heavy purple come from an inbred version of a purple Afghani (type) indica. This is very similar to the Afghani type used to help make DJ Shorts Blue Berry. These people have been doing this in the hills for a long time. Remember - real GDP tastes fruity, Ken's does not.

GDP should taste a lot like: Purple Urkle, Mendo-The Purp, and Grape Ape, to name a few. Kens tasted NOTHING like any of those.

Mendocino "The Purp": I get Ounces for 100$ - It`s not shwag. Only an idiot would think it`s shwag.

Mendocino Grand Daddy Purple: Same, I score for 100$ per zip.

These 2 strains have the finest sweet and grape taste I have ever tried. One thing you guys need to know about Mendo, they have SUPER sweet herb. I think Mendo has the best tasting herb on the planet, OG kush just taste like trash to me.

S

Seal-Clubber

Here is a side-by-side of Ken's Grand Daddy Purple from; [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]San Fransisco Mission Organic, and a local coop. Both taste exactly the same, earthy citrus. NO grape at all.. The Mission Organic one was left to mature longer, it`s much more amber and sleepy.

The bud on the left is
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]San Fransisco Mission Organic:
https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/california/san-francisco/mission-organic?c=dispensaries
[/FONT]
picture.php

ps, I have a few trolls Karma Bandit`ing myself and thread, pay no attention to them. They are the LOL OG Kush crowd and they hate me because I laugh at their names like; Liquid Cocaine OG ect.. lolol -LemonGrove for example, It`s my guess he is my troll. Notice, dislike ANYTHING I post and I will correct it to drive the knife in further. (Yes, my reviews can get MUCH worse!) ..I love it!

:rasta: Enjoy!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=232729
Check out this guy's cuts Ken's GDP.. I`m sure he did like most Californian's do when they want a cut of Ken's GDP, they go to his little cannabis club in the Bay Area. Anyway, Ken's shit almost does not turn purple. I`m sorry but to hell with 50% purple and a slight grape taste. Thats NOT GDP!

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hmmm. I have grown out several of Ken's GDP from seed and it has some grape flavor and a real good buzz. Not a heavy buzz so you may take it as not potent. Some sativa in it imo. 8 of 10 potency.

Half of them went purple with lows of around 60's, the other half had a touch of purple on the calyxes. Organic soil.

Am running Humboldt Purple from Classic Seeds and wonder if it is related or the same as Mendocino, Purp, GDP, etc.

S

Seal-Clubber

Am running Humboldt Purple from Classic Seeds and wonder if it is related or the same as Mendocino, Purp, GDP, etc.

take notice that cannabis clubs and their seed banks only want to make money. Almost all of them care nothing about the cannabis they claim is a factually correct identification.

My point is, 90% of the world wants to knock-off Humboldt's genetics and there is only one little spot in the world where Humboldt's genetics live. I think too many people are trying to cash in on the name and not on the actual strains. They are idiots..

The reports I am reading state Ken's GDP is (GDP x Champagne).. I knew he was a liar and cheater... Ken's is NOT GDP, just a cheap knock-off of the real thing.

pappy masonjar

Veteran
So in my thread, when you listed kens gdp as a strain you grew and said all strains on that list tested higher than 20%, you were lying? Seal clubber talking out his ass? No way.
And stop calling people trolls, its sounds ridiculous coming from you.

And i grew a pack of kens gdp and as long as your temps dont get above 82, every pheno turns purple. Every one of my femles turned purple and all tasted and smelled of grapes. Definetly not the strongest shit, but what you described, (citrusy), does not sound like kens. And kens gdp is not bigbud x urkle. He got it as granddaddy purple from a blackfoot indian in norcal. You have no idea what your talkin about ever, do you.

I dont know where you got champagne x gdp but ken never said that.

S

Seal-Clubber

And i grew a pack of kens gdp and as long as your temps dont get above 82, every pheno turns purple. Every one of my femles turned purple and all tasted and smelled of grapes. Definetly not the strongest shit, but what you described, (citrusy), does not sound like kens.

Where and When did you get seeds? I was wrong listing it as a valuable strain. I was thinking off the top of my head and I made a mistake. I was hopeful for Ken's GDP but enough is enough. Where is the Sweet Purple??

He got it as granddaddy purple from a blackfoot indian in norcal.

oh lord have mercy... HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

pappy masonjar

Veteran
from the 'tude, about one to two years. my memory isnt that great and i order lots of seeds. I actually just hit my grapiest female with pollen from: prayer tower (bodhi), scotts og, an unknown male from a pack of gage green's 'mixed gems', and FireAlien master (from your boy ograskal).

Im tellin you, if you want a grapey plant kens gdp has grape phenos galore, just dont expect to get high really. But you gotta get sealed seeds, clones are too easy to be fakes. (from what i can tell, ive never been to a dispensary, but obv. some are lying about genetics.)

L

lemongrove

Oh my you know me so well. I don't even know what Karma banditing is. I've never smoked OG Kush. That's right NEVER. You think way to highly of yourself. I don't know you and I have far more interesting things to do than follow you around. I may have not liked some of your posts, I honestly don't remember them-sorry,probably because I simply don't like what you have to say.
You say you have grown the 'real'GDP and that is an 8/10 but Ken's is not the "real" GDP." Oh God not another one of those posts. The type where only a few, really special people, know what is "real" and what is not. Only the people who know the right people and in with the right crowd know what is real and therefore that allows you to slander other people's work and their reputation.
I don't know Ken but I do know that the story behind may people's lives are far more complicated and have far more to them than people know. You can't understand and you certainly can't judge until you know the whole story. From what I have read I'm guessing he has helped far more people than you ever have. So save your ill informed slander and character assassination.
I'm sure you are also one of the people who know the "real" cuts of Girl Scout Cookies and you know who all of the liars and fakes are. I'm sure you also know all of the greatest growers of all time and YOU know where all of the REAL cuts are of their special strains.
So many strains have been bred with so many other strains over the years and have passed through so many hands that we don't know the "real" story behind any of them. It's all just a bunch of one upmanship and people trying to claim exclusivity in order to increase the value of their product. It's a bunch of inbred mutts passed through too many hands. Do you think some of these exclusive strains may have had the story behind them creatively enhanced? Do you think people do that? Of course they do. None of the stories of the strains are pure and it's a fact that "people in the know" know very well.
So if you want to feel special and say YOU know what is "real" and what is not, then knock yourself out. I know you are so very are special to me.:kissgrin:

S

Seal-Clubber

I actually just hit my grapiest female with pollen from: prayer tower (bodhi), scotts og, an unknown male from a pack of gage green's 'mixed gems', and FireAlien master (from your boy ograskal).

Im tellin you, if you want a grapey plant kens gdp has grape phenos galore, just dont expect to get high really. But you gotta get sealed seeds, clones are too easy to be fakes. (from what i can tell, ive never been to a dispensary, but obv. some are lying about genetics.)

I`m ready to mail Gypsy Nirvana 10,000 seeds of REAL Nor-Cal and mendo grape strains.. all free for freebies!

Much of this stuff a stupid cannabis shop passes as real strains is nothing but shit.. You should check out the coop`s who have been doing this for 40 years.. The coop`s want the best herbs and they don`t care about day-to-day business. Anyway, I am an organic soil expert and I have earned a spot in a REALLY great coop, I don`t want to talk about how much they grow, but it`s a lot. 10,000 seeds is 1 plant and a drop in the bucket to spread peace and love.

:rasta:
There will be plenty of Mendo GDP to go around. I also wish to include some specialties.. I know people loved the Brothers Grimm c99, I made fresh F2's from an original seed pack from 10 years ago. Sensi Star, Apollo G4, Deep Chunk, Cherry Pie, Black Dragon, ect. :) Mad respect to the creators of those badass babies.. insane genetics!

pappy masonjar

Veteran
Let`s just say, "North of Sac/South of Humboldt." If they say it`s Ken's then - it is. It looks and tastes EXACTLY like what everyone else is calling Kens GDP. I have no reason to doubt them.

your bud pics look nothing like the kens gdp i grew. It looks and tastes (from your description) NOTHING like kens. So "everybody else" (i.e. the people seal clubber knows) is wrong. You put a lot of faith into what dispensaries tell you, huh?
Seal-Clubber said:
All of the Ken's GDP was the same, all shit, little to no color unless temps go down to high-50fs. About 8 years ago, Oakland had the real GDP with the grape flavor, purple, and fat buds, goes purple at 70f. Ken is the low-yield, no grape, imposter GDP, sorry. This is my opinion, the Kens GDP in the Bay Area SUX ASS. well.. It`s mids.. ALL OF IT! I don't care if people hate my post, the Ken's GDP going around right now is mids!!! 6/10

NO GRAPE FLAVOR, LITTLE OR NO PURPLE.. NOT GDP. It`s Ken's GDP which is not GDP. ... Remember - real GDP tastes fruity, Ken's does not.

Last night my girl and I smoked a couple joints and a few bowls of kens gdp. STRAIGHT GRAPE FLAVOR. NO CITRUS AT ALL. I think its time to admit you didnt get kens. And you even said it was grown like shit and tasted like chemicals. Maybe next time before you do a 'smoke report', make sure you know for sure its legit (grow it yourself from seedpack to be certain). Also, the strain should be dialed in to give it a fair report. But obv. you dont give a shit who's name you step on. I now highly doubt you have ever grown any of ograskal's seeds. Looks like you mostly buy 100 an oz. outdoor from dispensaries and occasionally grow a couple of thier shitty cuts. Come on bro, get your negative garbage outta here.

S

Seal-Clubber

I made a review of San Fransisco Mission Organic and Sacramento Safe Capitol Compassion, as well as a local. All of Kens sucked..

I talked to the people I got a clone from at the local coop, they said it was of Ken's GDP from clone at his cannabis club in the Bay Area. They said it turns a little purple at lower temps, not very fruity, not memorable. They said the herb I got from them was from seed at Ken's Bay Area shop, almost none turned purple during the summer temps. They said the clone is more purple.. but.. Most people say they don't like Ken's GDP, I agree. It`s weak..

The Real GDP you will not forget, the taste is insane delicious, giant yields!

pappy masonjar

Veteran
I made a review of San Fransisco Mission Organic and Sacramento Safe Capitol Compassion, as well as a local. All of Kens sucked..

I talked to the people I got a clone from at the local coop, they said it was of Ken's GDP from clone at his cannabis club in the Bay Area. They said it turns a little purple at lower temps, not very fruity, not memorable. the herb I got from them was from seed at Ken's Bay Area shop, almost none turned purple during the summer temps. They said the clone is more purple.. but.. Most people say they don't like Ken's GDP, I agree. It`s weak..

The Real GDP you will not forget, the taste is insane delicious, giant yields!

Then you shoulnt have titled the thread: "Ken's Granddaddy Purple". You should have called it, "Mission Organic and Sacramento Safe Capitol Compassion's "Kens GDP""

And "They" are either wrong about the genetics, lying about the genetics, or the worst growers ever. I guess its possible it could be kens and they just suck. You did say it was grown like garbage. But i doubt it. I had a cut off holy grail kush that tasted just like yellow fruit loops. I gave it to someone else to grow and it tasted like shit. My point is, you should probably stick to only talkin shit about stuff you grew. That way we will known its the strain that sucks and not the grower. And for the record, Kens gdp tastes grapey, not citrusy. Period.

S

Seal-Clubber

And for the record, Kens gdp tastes grapey, not citrusy. Period.

it tastes like shit.. Anyway, I am growing Ken's GDP now. I will make another review and it will be FAR more harsh if my results come out as the flowers have.

I recently also scored:
Dutch Passion BlueBerry
DJ Short BlueBerry
Agent Orange
LSD strain
UK Cheese
Cherry Pie

All this stuff from Nor-Cal is great, you have to be local to know what you are talking about if you constantly say bad things about Nor-Cal. Nor-Cal and the Dam is the center of the best cannabis in the world. Saying bad things about Nor-Cal coops is like talking shit about the Cannabis Cup winners in Amsterdam.. LOL...

I will post results from my Ken's clone GDP.. As I expect, I think it will be too dense with very little taste. To me, very little taste is like a bowl full of fruit to the common smoker..

remember, I`M A NOR-CAL GUY, I have VERY picky taste. I only grow and smoke the best of the best.. This is one of the perks of living in Nor-cal as oppose to that shit-hole called LA, I lived there 15 years.

ps, never trust a cannabis shop who gives 800$ per pound and turns around and sells it for $40 per 1/8.

pappy masonjar

Veteran
I guess you missed my point. You are growing a cut you got labeled as "Kens gdp". And if you got that clone from the same place as those fake kens gdp buds, then I personally, believe you got a mislabeled cut. And fwiw, ive never been to cali, but would still say norcal puts out some of the best bud in the world. But that doesnt mean that all the bud in norcal is fire. Your so called 100 an oz. "Kens gdp" is a perfect example of that. And for the record, i dont even like Kens gdp that much, i need stronger medicine. But i do dislike when people do strain reviews on shit they bought at a dispensary. Pappy out. Have a good one Seal Clubber.

"I only grow and smoke the best of the best". How can you even say that after you just told us your gdp was horrible and tasted like chemicals and burned hot? Im pretty sure that the people that are growing and smoking the best, dont shop at dispensaries. And you buy the cheal shit at dispensaries too. Wow, you truly are ridiculous. lmao

S

Seal-Clubber

I guess you missed my point.

I`m not reading your posts, they are hurtful and negative. I am stating a point of my review of GDP. You have been reported for harassment. If you wish to flame and harass me, I will just start another review of Ken's GDP. I have this information copied.

L

lemongrove

Don't hurt me Pappy!

Don't hurt me Pappy!

Hey Seal-Clubber. I find it ironic you called someone's post hurtful and negative. Aren't you the one that called me a troll and said that I was Karma Banditing, again whatever the hell that is, after what I initially said? You also pulled out of thin air that I'm some person aligned with some crowd that loves Kush or some such nonsense. Then you say you add more things in posts to drive the knife further? You also say several personal, negative things about Ken. Kind of the pot calling the kettle black I'd say when you call out others about saying negative things.
I'd also like to aplogize for the comments I made about the price of the gear you bought. I honestly wasn't aware that there were places, even in Cali., that sold outdoor mids., hardly what anyone would call good or top quality, for $100 an oz; there is a reason it's that cheap you know. My mistake on that one and I apologize for that. Really though that type of pot would not be something I'd use to judge a strain; especially if you didn't grow it or have any idea how it was grown.
I still don't like it when you start talking about anyone's private business and their problems. As you did when you talked about Ken and his problems, that is really bad taste and poor manners.
I'm also very tired of jealous people talking about the success people have had with strains, then calling them fakes and not the real thing. If Ken's GDP is such a fake and it is common knowledge in Cali. that it's not the real thing, then why is it so successful and why are so many people buying it? How is it that Pappy grew it out and got a bunch of grape flavored, purple buds? Instead of growing out a clone of a plant who's product you didn't even like, why don't you buy some of Ken's seeds and grow those out and see for yourself if you can produce some grape tasting buds? That would be a real test for you. Growing out a clone of something you already know you don't like makes no sense to me.
Using all this hearsay to make judgements of strains is silly and doesn't lend you any credibility. You say some guy at a co-op said that another guy said he got the clone from Ken's co-op, does not make it so. Pappy is far more believable. He actually grew out some of Ken's seeds. Growing them properly he got purple coloring and grape flavors. He said the strain wasn't strong enough for him but I take his report on the strain far more seriously than I do yours.
You see the complaints with your smoke report is not that the strain got a negative review but the review was not done properly( You didn't grow it, you got it from a co-op where a guy said he got it from Ken's co-op, although there is no way to know if that is true, it's cheap outdoor) and it's done with a bias since you believe the strain to be a fake and you think Ken is a liar and a fraud.
Also the fact that you previously said in Pappy's thread that you have grown Ken's GDP and it tested over 20%, which would mean it is pretty damn strong but now you're saying that you were wrong when you said that. That makes you look like you now have some axe to grind with Ken; otherwise why the back pedaling?
The next time you want to slander a breeder and put down his signature strain you might want to get your ducks in a row so it's not so obvious that's what you are doing.

S

Seal-Clubber

real gdp tastes like grapey Fact. what u got is not gdp, no grapey taste and no purple,

I agree.. All the Ken's GDP I have been getting at random cannabis clubs (Highest rated clubs at weedfinder), has been little or no purple and NO grape taste.

ken's GDP is shit.... Nor-Cal GDP is the real deal, not the Cannabis club shit... Ken's is the cannabis club shit, my coop said they threw Ken's GDP out because it tests 20%+ THC but it has no taste and little color.. There is no room for strains with no taste.