What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Would it work to run hempy buckets with 100% hydroton?

Been planning to run a 50/50 mix of hydroton and perlite in hempy buckets but am now wondering if it'd be okay to run all hydroton. Reason being is that hydroton is a lot easier to clean and reuse. The plants would still be started in 1 liter foam cup hempys filled with perlite and moved to the 3 gallon hempys after they've grown for awhile and I know their sex. The bottom of the cup gets pinched off when being transplanted and most the perlite would stay suspended in the cup with the roots.

I'm fairly confident hydroton wicks water but do you guys think I would need to setup some kind of wick system? If so I was thinking either cotton rope or maybe buy some cotton undershirts and cutting them into 3" wide strips that would extend down to the res.

Also would I want to cover most the top of the bucket? I've done some searches and some people argue that it evaporates the water too fast. I was thinking covering say 90% or so of the top with a plastic liner might stop that. Would that be a good idea or would I be totally killing the air exchanging process and have root rot occur?

Thanks for any thoughts or input on this and if it's a terrible idea I'll stick to 50/50 hydroton and perlite instead.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
It will work. Ive used straight Hydroton in Hempy buckets with good results.
Never did worry about evaporation and never found evaporation to be a problem but I've covered the top of the bucket in the past in order to cut light to algae that was growing on the surface of the medium. The only time I've had algae problems was when I tried to re-use the perlite/vermiculite for a second grow. I've never had a root rot problem with Hempy buckets.

That being said, I stick to the traditional 3/1 mix of Perlite and vermiculite. It's whats easiest for me. The cost of new medium for every run is negligible in the scheme of things and I give the used medium to a friend who owns a landscaping co. and recycles it all.

Sounds great I got a ton of hydroton so I'll give it a go. For my setup it would be perfect if I can just use the perlite for the foam cup hempys and hydroton for the buckets so I'm glad to hear from somebody who's done it. I'm sure a little perlite will fall down into the hydroton but if I leave them in the 1L foam cup hempys long enough to sex them they should form a tight root ball keeping it mostly together. It's hard to get mediums where I live so I gotta reuse my hydroton unfortunately. I can get perlite every now and then, not in large quantities but often enough that reusing it is not critically important. Thanks for the advice Captain:tiphat:

Last edited:

DrDee

Hey Bird of Hermes,
How are ya? Little drunk but wanted to reply. Back when I switched from dirt to hydro I had a shit pot of hydroton so I tried a Hempy with straight hydroton. Used a Canadian strain Black Pearl and had a lush 4' plant by the end. No sweat, No deficiencies great bud. I used Maxi Bloom for the entire grow and did a good flush at the end.
JD