What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

16 Square Feet of SHIT (MNS)

Hello, ICMag! I've been lurking for almost 2 year now, and I gotta say that the wisdom and inspiration you guys post in here is second to none, and I'm ready to join your ranks!

For my first grow journal, I'm doing 18 beans of Shit from Mr. Nice Seeds. Why? Well, my father came into contact with all kinds of legendary strains during his time in the military (80's) and his most captivating story, by far, is one regarding a garbage bag full of skunk that smelled so strong of a rotten skunk's asshole, it was sold out in under an hour back at base. I'm hoping with all my heart to find that in this pack.

Back to the plants.

I soaked them in RO water for 24hrs, and dropped each in a 4.3in clay pot just now.The plan is to train them into bonsai mothers, and while they veg, flower out tiny clones of each under a spare light. I'll get rid of all but the best male in the group for future pollen chucking, then toward the end of flower, I'll pull clones off the best mothers to veg out for a full sized run.

I'm aware that this is unnecessarily time consuming, but I'm still recovering emotionally from my last run that ended up 11/20 males, 3/20 herms (my fault, totally botched it from start to finish (funny story, accidentally left half the timers in the damned "on" position during week 8 for 2 or 3 days straight :badday:)) and only 6 real ladies. Got 3 great keepers, but only yielded about 8oz for a 70 day run.
:wallbash:
So now my model is to weed out (pun intended) the undesirable plants using a small light before running anything for production on a 4x4. That should prevent any herb-shortage type tragedies from ever happening again because, as we all know, there's nothing better than sitting down after a harvest with a boat load of mason jars packed with your hard-earned herb and smoking like chimney!
:rasta::rasta:

Enough rosin-induced rambling! Here's a photo of my freshly planted Shits in straight coco using half strength Jacks. Don't mind the super crowded nursery with my mommas in back. Construction is a bitch!
20180328_190532.jpg

16/18 seedlings

16/18 seedlings

I'm back, 3 days later. 17/18 seedling sprouted, then one randomly died last night. Its almost mystical - #9 didn't sprout, #8 died 2 days later... I fear for #7 :thinking:

I decided to swap out the dead pots for 2 Krumbled Lime freebies from Karma Squad in purple solos. His gear is super dank, so I thought it'd fit right in with the skunks. :smokey:

Here are shots of the wee little babies. I moved the T5s up for the pictures, but I keep it nice and close at 4 to 5 inches.

20180331_201240.jpg
20180331_201157.jpg

Tiny purple leaves

Tiny purple leaves

The true leaves sprouted last night, and some of them are purple already. I've never heard of this happening this early on, hope they're not sick!

They have been kept plenty warm in the nursery, so I have no idea why this is happening. Look awesome, though.

Some of them are very purple, some are barely purple, and a little over half are still green. This strain is putting on a very interesting display right out the gate.

20180401_210157.jpg
Kinda purple pheno

20180401_210306.jpg
More purple pheno

Smokditup - I can't say yet. I've never smoked this strain before. I just finished the new and improved veg chamber, so I'll have some updates soon.

The seedlings finally started putting some mass on. I hope to have some clones cut and rooted in 3 weeks time to start flowering. I don't want to waste resources on males and herms, so first run will be small pheno hunt while I veg out the best mothers' clones. They say 7 week flower, so I'll have my first smoke report in 12 weeks (1 wk dry and 1 wk cure).

Damn, 3 months :thinking: We gardeners are really patient when you think about it. 3 months for a fast flowering plant... Worth every second! :rasta::rasta::rasta::rasta:

WE'RE BACK

WE'RE BACK

Hello, all. Its been three days since I put these seedlings under a new 1000W HPS. Its taken a couple days to get the new environment dialed in - no thanks to the huge temperature swing we just experienced outside, so there's still a little bit of the claw going around these plants, but they're vegging out for me now. It shouldn't be long now before I get some clones pulled. All that purple leaf business seems to have vanished, interestingly enough.

I'll try to keep the boring part of this journal sparse, so I'll be back with more pictures once the clones are rooted.

20180411_135420.jpg

Update 4/19

Update 4/19

I pulled a clone off of each plant today. They were all at 5 or 6 nodes, and I took them at the second node to keep my mothers nice and compact. They all look very healthy and vigorous though it can be hard to tell due to the shorter internodal spacing.

I have high hopes that my rapid rooters and heating mat will make me proud. Hopefully I will have some pictures of rooted cuts in a week. I'll be adding more and more cuts as my mothers need additional training in case the first batch doesn't pull through 100%.

P.S. happy 4/20 everybody:canabis:
:smoweed:

Cloner rot

Cloner rot

Bad news! I found some of my clones under my dome were rotting, so I trashed them all. Its a sad day as I had a variety of clones in there, but I think that may have been the problem to begin with - too many cuts in the dome. Better safe than sorry anyways. I'd need to hire a therapist if my whole garden got sick :cry: lol

I'll be going with my back up plan. I'm topping a second time, tossing my seedlings in a 1 gal pot for the pheno hunt, then turning my cuts into mothers. My seedlings in the 4.3 inch pot must be rootbound by now, so this show should be on the road shortly.

Final home

Final home

I said no more pictures until the clones are rooted, but now that I'm vegging the seed-plants it seems relevant.

One thing I can say about Shit so far is that its got satisfactory roots. They're right where I'd expect them to be after having been in the same tiny pot for 28 days, so no disappointment there.

20180425_182518.jpg
20180425_184427.jpg
20180425_183349.jpg

I'll veg them out until they're 2 feet tall. Here's a group photo.

20180425_185252.jpg

The SHITs are really taking off now! They look beautiful, and I just got my 10,000k Plantmax MH freed up to put over them and my clones! They're going to veg like crazy now, and that fuller spectrum really shows off how gorgeous they are. I love how fat the fans are - they almost look like maple leaves. :bigeye:

20180502_233753.jpg
20180502_181312.jpg
20180502_233817.jpg

-BRR-

Excelent start man, a propper shit storm. All the best and look forward to the end in particular when the fragrence look and yield reports come through. I started it once before but due to tobaco virus had to trash it all. Your leaves have a proper skunk type look to them.

All the best

Kaskadian

Veteran
Looking stellar Gumby! I just found your thread actually but I'm subbed now. Looking forward to seeing you grow some good "shit"! ;)

SHIT'S looking good Gumby.
Thanks man, didn't see your post before, but glad you approve!

Excelent start man, a propper shit storm. All the best and look forward to the end in particular when the fragrence look and yield reports come through. I started it once before but due to tobaco virus had to trash it all. Your leaves have a proper skunk type look to them.

All the best

Sorry to hear about your losses, BRR. Concerning tobacco, I started smoking cigars when I turned 18, and stopped when I started growing at 19 after seeing what cross contamination can do. Tobacco mosaic virus is nothing I'd like to play around with.

I can't wait for the results either! My end goal is to work with landrace sativas, so now I'm building an IBL stock to potentially cross them with in the future. I hope they are as fast as they are said to be. A 45 day flower could really help make a tropical sativa more manageable I'm sure.

Plus the smoke of the SHITs themselves are an aspect not to be understated either. My favorite strains so far have all been old school hybrids, so this should make me very happy indeed. Here's hoping for a rotten skunk pheno!
:watchplant:

Plants look great. All the best with your grow

Thank you very much Meduser. I have high hopes for this run. My quality just gets better and better, and you guys are undoubtedly going to make it that much better!

Looking stellar Gumby! I just found your thread actually but I'm subbed now. Looking forward to seeing you grow some good "shit"! ;)

Welcome along, amigo! Glad to have you here. I'm absolutely loving your Purple Haze x Honduras thread, so I hope to return the favor :dancer:

We still have a couple weeks before anything interesting happens. I had to redo all my clones I'm throwing outside, but soon I can get them out of there and take another stab at cloning these plants. They are getting nice and strong for us. When I take the next two cuts, I expect them to really kick it up because the two heads are pretty big now.

If those clones have problems too, then I'll break down and get one of those aeroponic cloners so many growers are in love with. This show is taking too long, and I'm too excited to smoke some good SHIT lol. Worst case scenario, pull lower branches off in early flower if need be. No more delays!

Here's a mini-update I thought I posted two days ago. The leaves just look so beautiful.

picture.php

picture.php

Looks like I found out how to post proper pictures. Hooray!

Attachments

• 20180505_093037.jpg
    20180505_093037.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180505_093049.jpg
    20180505_093049.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 15
5/9 part 1

5/9 part 1

(I was going to make one post, but the 5 pic cap exists, and I have more than 5 I feel are relevant here.)

Hello, my gardening brethren! The SHITs are halfway where I want them! FINALLY! I can't speak to whether or not they're slow veggers because my seedlings were not in proper veg conditions for a while so mine definitely were slow for that time.

Anyways, it felt bad cutting such beautiful leaves, but it was too inviting for pests with so much foliage everywhere. Here's a before picture.

picture.php

picture.php

Interestingly enough, I discovered I have two trifoliates. I've only ever had one once before and it killed itself one day for no ascertainable reason. I don't know if they will be anything special, but its cool regardless. The first one is easier to see because its symmetrical, and the second one took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on due to its asymmetry lol.
picture.php

picture.php

If anyone really wants a better shot at the second trifoliate, I'll try, but if you can't tell from that picture you'll have to just believe me lol

Next post incoming within the next 8 hours.

JINXED

JINXED

Next post incoming within the next 8 hours.

Man! Managing my garden with a full time job is way harder than I imagined! For 4 days of the week I only have enough time to get in, water everybody, and hurry off to my corporate overlords, so my deepest apologies to MNS for being such a lackadaisical grower while showcasing their genetics. Over the next month I'll have this baby automated, but for now my fellow gardeners will have to bare with me. Anyways, I'll be sure not to throw my temperamental back out this time before fulfilling my promise to IC.

For anybody wondering, these SHITs almost seem to thrive when neglected. I've had plenty of strains throw downright tantrums after going through much less than my SHITs here. They just keep on trucking no matter what it seems.

Family photo of what has slowly been happening since Thursday.
picture.php

As you can see, they are clearly going bananas. Now to finish part 2 that post!