What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2017

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Someone needs to get Rodgers some pass protection...I know their O-line is beat to shit, but come on...way too many sacks allowed.

Last time I went to a game, people were getting food and beer, going to the bathroom, and walking around talking during the national anthem...that's all I'm gonna say about that.

HB.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
what a crazy weekend of football!

you are right baba', the weather has a lot to do with sports in so.cal
but ultimately it comes down to the product on the field
the chargers have a history of putting out a mediocre team and their attendance show that
but when they fielded a winning team (under marty for instance), the town was alive with support
even if half of them were just jumping on the bandwagon, i was more than happy to see new faces rooting for the team
now that the chargers are playing in a new city, they have to win over the locals.
an 0-3 start and an owner who is seen as a sellout just isnt going to bring in a lot of new fans

so many upsets!
if anything i hope this is good for the sport, fishy'
it gets stale when the same top teams are always winning
thats one thing i love about this sport, on any given sunday...

hope you guys enjoyed the games as much as i did

Badfishy1

what a crazy weekend of football!

you are right baba', the weather has a lot to do with sports in so.cal
but ultimately it comes down to the product on the field
the chargers have a history of putting out a mediocre team and their attendance show that
but when they fielded a winning team (under marty for instance), the town was alive with support
even if half of them were just jumping on the bandwagon, i was more than happy to see new faces rooting for the team
now that the chargers are playing in a new city, they have to win over the locals.
an 0-3 start and an owner who is seen as a sellout just isnt going to bring in a lot of new fans

so many upsets!
if anything i hope this is good for the sport, fishy'
it gets stale when the same top teams are always winning
thats one thing i love about this sport, on any given sunday...

hope you guys enjoyed the games as much as i did

Yes tons of upsets. Just confusing. Is jax that good or the ravens that bad? Dolphins really that bad or jets play off the chain? Is Watson that legit against patriots defense?

Fully understand any given Sunday and agree that's what makes sports sports. I have no idea why, but for some reason NFL this year isn't appealing any more. Perhaps choosing sides in the circus truly HAS pushed me away

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Speaking to some earlier points, did shanahan really ruin Griffin's career by running him out there on an injured knee? Yes, RG3 eventually tore his ligament(s) but players can pretty much fully recover from acl injuries given a year of rehab. I think what was holding RG3 back was his inability to develop as a pocket passer and his continued fragility (last year, his first start for the browns he broke his collarbone).
Cutler's problem is that he has a career 1.33 TD to INT ratio. If you include fumbles, he has a 1:1 TD to Turnover ratio over his career.
To be a good to great qb nowadays, you have to have a ratio of at least 2:1, or more (3:1, 4:1 etc). He'll lose you as many games as he wins for you. I remember when he beat the vikings last year, the vikes were 5-0 at the time, the last undefeated team in the league. Cutler had some clutch late throws in that game, as impressive as anything an elite qb could produce. And then the next game against tampa he had like 3 turnovers and the bears werent competitive.
I think there are more busts with 1st round or highly drafted qb's than there are successes, so it's more luck to find a franchise qb than anything. Russell wilson was a 3rd rd pick, Carr was 2nd round, Dak 4th rd, the GOAT brady 6th rd, the 2nd GOAT Montana 3rd round, Brees 2nd round. Romo was undrafted. It sucks to have a top 10 or 15 pick and use it on a qb who turns out to be terrible (bears wasted the #12 overall pick on cade mcnown, trubisky we have yet to see) but it happens and you just have to keep going back and trying again. Tannenhill was a 1st rd pick, he's not great but you could definitely do worse than him. Cutler is more of a lateral move than an improvement at the qb position, but if he could make the playoffs and string together some good games (like eli or flacco in their playoff runs) he could surprise people. Miami probably has more talent overall than any of cutler's bears teams, if they could stay healthy.
Florida doesn't have a state income tax, and combined with the weather it's supposed to be attractive to athletes. Miami's problem with free agents is that they set the market when they sign premier free agents, like Suh. When the bears gave peppers the biggest contract for a defensive player at the time (2010), peppers did ok with the team but certainly didnt outperform his contract. The NFL is a hard cap league, with 11 players on the field at a time (22-33 starters total if you include special teams); if you commit a lot of your cap to one guy, that means you cant afford as much talent elsewhere. So going for a big splash signing in free agency may serve to make your overall team weaker than if you signed talent who could provide 80% of the production for 40% of the cost.

Badfishy1

Speaking to some earlier points, did shanahan really ruin Griffin's career by running him out there on an injured knee? Yes, RG3 eventually tore his ligament(s) but players can pretty much fully recover from acl injuries given a year of rehab. I think what was holding RG3 back was his inability to develop as a pocket passer and his continued fragility (last year, his first start for the browns he broke his collarbone).
Cutler's problem is that he has a career 1.33 TD to INT ratio. If you include fumbles, he has a 1:1 TD to Turnover ratio over his career.
To be a good to great qb nowadays, you have to have a ratio of at least 2:1, or more (3:1, 4:1 etc). He'll lose you as many games as he wins for you. I remember when he beat the vikings last year, the vikes were 5-0 at the time, the last undefeated team in the league. Cutler had some clutch late throws in that game, as impressive as anything an elite qb could produce. And then the next game against tampa he had like 3 turnovers and the bears werent competitive.
I think there are more busts with 1st round or highly drafted qb's than there are successes, so it's more luck to find a franchise qb than anything. Russell wilson was a 3rd rd pick, Carr was 2nd round, Dak 4th rd, the GOAT brady 6th rd, the 2nd GOAT Montana 3rd round, Brees 2nd round. Romo was undrafted. It sucks to have a top 10 or 15 pick and use it on a qb who turns out to be terrible (bears wasted the #12 overall pick on cade mcnown, trubisky we have yet to see) but it happens and you just have to keep going back and trying again. Tannenhill was a 1st rd pick, he's not great but you could definitely do worse than him. Cutler is more of a lateral move than an improvement at the qb position, but if he could make the playoffs and string together some good games (like eli or flacco in their playoff runs) he could surprise people. Miami probably has more talent overall than any of cutler's bears teams, if they could stay healthy.
Florida doesn't have a state income tax, and combined with the weather it's supposed to be attractive to athletes. Miami's problem with free agents is that they set the market when they sign premier free agents, like Suh. When the bears gave peppers the biggest contract for a defensive player at the time (2010), peppers did ok with the team but certainly didnt outperform his contract. The NFL is a hard cap league, with 11 players on the field at a time (22-33 starters total if you include special teams); if you commit a lot of your cap to one guy, that means you cant afford as much talent elsewhere. So going for a big splash signing in free agency may serve to make your overall team weaker than if you signed talent who could provide 80% of the production for 40% of the cost.

Yeah thanks for restating basically everything I said... as far as Miami being attractive market, yes no state tax yes weather is decent. The point I was making is there is a lot to do in Miami for the fans. Therefore the only way fans will support a team is when the team is relevant (heat are prime example). Going to the games is more of a place to be seen than people going to watch the game itself. If teams aren't winning fans aren't attending plain and simple
And yes shanahan is a god tier **** ruining rg3 career with cousins sitting on the bench

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
did shanahan destroty rg3?
it all comes down to perspective
/there is an adage of leadership: take care of your people
it boils down to: do you feel like shanahan protected rg3s-knees or dident he
like always baba', your responses are packed with knowledge and you support what you say with facts

drafting a top quarterback is tough
i think its because so much of what makes a great QB isnt something you can really quantify or measure
sure you can grade players on past performance and physical attributes, but what really makes one QB great and another a bust?
leadership is probably one of the top qualities in a great quarterback, that and a very quick mind
but without the physical skills on the field, how many games can he win
we have actually seen several first rounders do well lately, (newton, winston and mariota recently) but i totally agree that its pretty much a crap shoot as far as finding the next great player goes
/and so mcuh goes into a winning team, one player alone cant really make or break a team unless the foundation was there to begin with
that goes for defensive players too, or any other position

but lets cut to the hottest taek of all: brady over montana?!?
both are goat
but really, if you have 60s left and need to score, who do you want under center?
i guess it still comes down to supporting cast but i go with ol joe
as much as montanas success had to do with jerry rice, i think tom brady lives and dies with bill belichek
/i think brady was more a product of the system he played in while montana was a pure general on the field

great post btw!

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I remember seeing that playoff game where RG3 finally tore his acl, a couple plays before that he scrambled to the sideline and was limping back to the huddle. That would have been a good time for shanahan to say, yknow i think he's really hurt, and taken him out.

Brady's the only qb with 5 rings (Montana and bradshaw with 4 each), plus he's likely to have most of the career passing stats when he's done, thats why i said he was the goat. But montana went 4-0 in superbowls. You could make an argument either way and not be wrong.

With the lenient rules on passing over the last decade (cant hit qb or defenseless receivers) it's a QB driven league now. Miami hasnt had a really good one since marino (but for a lack of championships, you could make an argument he was the goat), chicago has never had one, the cowboys had a bunch of crap between aikman and romo, after Montana-Young the niners had crap as well except for jeff garcia and alex smith/kaepernick (harbaugh years). Jets, Bills, Cardinals post-Warner and pre-Palmer, Rams (before Goff), all cycled through a bunch of qb's whose play at best was average, but often terrible.
The downside to finding a franchise qb is having to pay them 25 million a year when they hit free agency. Youre seeing it now with the seahawks and colts, they havent been as good as they were when wilson and luck were on their cheap rookie contracts. Not saying you cant win a championship with an expensive qb, you just have to sign other players on cheaper deals and hope they outperform their contracts.

Packers and Bears at lambeau tonite. I keep flashing back to a game at lambeau in 2014 when the bears were down 42-0 at halftime. :moon:
Anyway, im still starting bear jordan in one of my leagues...

MrBungle

42-0 at the half... that would be one stoned half time... if you were playing: The blaze if you see 420 anywhere in the game, game :D.... its even more fun if you dab too.. cause then you can add 710 into the mix....hehehe

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
i remember that game too, baba'
it was obvious rg3 was hurt
i guess a lot can be said for both quarterbacks, brady and montana
plus the patriots dont look like they are slowing down and should continue their winning ways
if brady can play a few more years at the same level, he is def goign to rewrite the passing record book
/good call on marino, even without the ring he is goat

looking forward to tonight game,too
its still early in the season but a win tonight will be a big boost to both teams
hope you enjoy the game!

shithawk420

Veteran
I think the bears might do well tonight.I'm not making any bets though.almost got in a fight with my friend yesterday cause he said the bears deserved to win against the stealers when clearly the bears just got lucky cause the stealers fucked up.I'm a bears fan but I'm not gonna sugar coat it when they get lucky.my friend is an idiot when it comes to sports.he's a bears fan and his wife's packers fan!she's from Hinsdale for fucks sake!WTF?!crazy ass fucking cheese heads when they never even been to Wisconsin!drives me nuts!

Badfishy1

Pops n baba him hobbling back to huddle is exactly what makes me say Shanahan ruined the man. What makes is worse imo is cousins was sitting on bench! But shanahan gets a free pass so it is of no relevance

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Is 710 the law about marijuana extracts/concentrate? Always enjoyed it in a vape pen, nice stealthy hits while youre out and about...

Bears only lost by 21, not 42. Im thinking they play better at home than on the road. I wasnt too surprised when they beat the steelers last week, Roethlisberger is known for playing worse on the road (barely league avg QB away from heinz field), plus they havent been playing that well to start the season (barely beat the browns, easily beat the vikings without bradford). They still have a lot of talent so you figure theyll be one of the afc's top teams, but unless they get home field throughout the playoffs, it's hard to imagine Ben beating the patriots in new england...

A lot of nfl players play hurt because theyre afraid of losing their jobs if they miss time (like brady taking over for bledsoe). RG3 could have waved to the sideline to be taken out, but maybe he figured it wasnt that bad (think he also had a brace on his knee) and he could gut it out. And maybe he didnt want cousins in there; that was a weird situation, RG was their 1st round pick and cousins was their 2nd round pick, maybe there was some tension there with the QB's and who was better for the team.

Trevathan laid a nasty hit on davante adams last night, dude was out cold for a bit on the field. Adams seems to have avoided serious injury thankfully, although he'll definitely be in the concussion protocol.
That may also be another reason why ratings are down; like with boxing in the 90's, there are worries about head injuries and brain damage for football players, so less and less parents are willing to let their kids play the sport. With less kids interested in football, you see less families at games or watching on tv.

St. Phatty

Did anybody watch the Raiders game where the players maybe let their QB get sacked a few times ?

related to strong feelings about the Kneeling & protests at NFL games.

It was written about on the 29th, so I'm thinking it wasn't Raiders Broncos, it might have been Raiders Redskins last weekend.

DAMN I have got to dig my TV antenna out of my "pile of stuff I bought at garage sales" so I can watch the games too ! :woohoo:

Badfishy1

Did anybody watch the Raiders game where the players maybe let their QB get sacked a few times ?

related to strong feelings about the Kneeling & protests at NFL games.

It was written about on the 29th, so I'm thinking it wasn't Raiders Broncos, it might have been Raiders Redskins last weekend.

DAMN I have got to dig my TV antenna out of my "pile of stuff I bought at garage sales" so I can watch the games too ! :woohoo:

Yeah that is absolutely fucked up with Carr being left out to dry... won't see that anywhere on MSM

St. Phatty

Yeah that is absolutely fucked up with Carr being left out to dry... won't see that anywhere on MSM

So it actually happened ?

I figure the behavior would be noticed by an experienced football watcher.

The media is super timid. If they said a particular player 'threw a game', that is real actionable, without written or recorded documentation.

Badfishy1

So it actually happened ?

I figure the behavior would be noticed by an experienced football watcher.

The media is super timid. If they said a particular player 'threw a game', that is real actionable, without written or recorded documentation.

There were a couple 'dropped' passes that SEEM questionable too. I don't think there is a way to prove this happened, as one cannot 'prove' somebody's effort. Now as far as media is concerned, they will not touch this w a 20' pole. The media is at the mercy of the NFL. Don't play the game, don't get the premier match up games. ESPN was very critical of the NFL and in return got complete SHIT Monday night games. Hence a drop in ESPN ratings. Ratings are huge bargaining chip in advertising costs. Therefore hitting the major networks in the pocket. Also, the NFL is who approves reporters credentials into locker room... talk shit, no 'insiders'... media is just a marionette with the NFL pulling the strings

shithawk420

Veteran
the Falcons got fucked sunday.everybody knows Ryan threw an incomplete pass but said it was a fumble anyway.And now Julio is hurt. now even people i know are talking of boycotting NFL.does not look good.stupid fucking shit storm.certain people need to mind their own business and leave their opinion out of sports

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I thought that was an incomplete pass by Ryan as well but maybe it makes up for the lions game last week that the falcons should have lost.

Why would a professional athlete risk his job to sabotage a teammate for not participating in a controversial protest?

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/shoc...b-refused-to-kneel-for-national-anthem_092017

Fake news. Insider information from an extremely reliable source? Ok sure.
These guys get paid millions of dollars if they block well, and are street free agents selling insurance or driving for Uber if they don't. Yeah, ill whiff on multiple blocks, killing our season and my rep as a professional athlete, because my QB didnt kneel during the anthem.
Lynch got 18 yards on 6 carries vs the redskins, and 12 yds on 9 carries vs the broncos. Were they mad at him too? Lynch sits for the anthem...
Amari Cooper looks just plain terrible, like he should be a team's 4th or 5th WR, not #1. Again, dont think he's dropping passes because carr didnt take a knee. His rookie contract may be up in a year or two, if he wants a nice fat 2nd deal he wouldnt sabotage his career like that.
Oakland's problem is that the defense doesnt look any better than last year and now the offense isnt able to compensate for an average/below average defense.

Patriots didnt resign Logan ryan and let him leave to Tenn for 3yrs 30 mill. They signed stephen gilmore for 5 yrs 65 mill and now are the leagues worst defense; theyre definitely not defending their championship unless the defense gets a whole lot better.
Rams are the league's highest scoring team after being the worst offense last year.
Dolphins wont average 3pts a game going forward, just like the bengals werent going to average 5pts a game after the first 2 weeks of the season.
Chargers had to cover up unsold seats at their 27K seat stadium with tarps, and had more eagles fans than chargers fans at their 'home' game.
Glennon committed another 4 turnovers vs the packers, so trubisky is getting the game 5 start. The 'experts' were saying in preseason that trubisky wouldnt start till after the 1st 4 games (all against playoff teams from last year), guess they were right...
Davlin cook tore his acl, out for the Vikes for the season. Mariota hurt his hamstring, Carr hurt his back. Chris carson broke his ankle. So many injuries...

shithawk420

Veteran
oh!Trubisky gets to start?i had a feeling he would at least play the second half.but im excited to know hes playing.get Glennon THE FUCK OUT! not a big Cam Newton fan but glad they beat the Patriots.looks like their gravy train might be over.i hope so anyway.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
nice write up baba'
fake news for sure!
the whole throwing a game thing or letting another player get hurt because of some kneeling is just plain silly
every play in the nfl is viewed under a microscope
not just by the league but by the team
these guys know if they make a mistake they are going to be called out on it, not just by the public but by their teammates
so does this mean the entire team is in on the fix?
the raiders are under performing, plain and simple
im sick of all this politics bs taking over every facet of life
/no-name,nobodies trying to fan the flames of hate to further their own pathetic agenda

"Chargers had to cover up unsold seats at their 27K seat stadium with tarps, and had more eagles fans than chargers fans at their 'home' game."
the chargers will be playing 16 away game this season
dont be surprised to see the visiting team draw more fans than the chargers all season long
there are almost no charger fans in la, and they burned almost all their bridges in san diego
i especially liked how the eagles D would pump up the crowd on 3rd downs
sell outs should never prosper and the spanos family is a joke

"Rams are the league's highest scoring team after being the worst offense last year. "
:biggrin:

oh, i dont want to forget to mention romo doing color during last thursday nights game
what a great show and it was made even better by his reads and insight!
tony romo is doing a great job in the booth and i enjoyed hearing his line of thought throughout the game

we are about a quarter of the way into the season and so far its been a good one!