What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Warning new off gassing product!!!!

HillBillMt

after seein the pics im pretty sure you nailed it... you said that the gassin occurs even long after its left ta breath for awhile, this is huge development, has this bin noticed in any other growing capacity? is this cannabis specific ? ....... HHB

U.G.U

snoopytime.
most likely its is alright but there is really no way of telling without testing. I know I have some of that exact 1/4" tube from home depot that I am using on my air lines.

U.G.U

HillBillMt

There are quite a few studies using many different plant species regarding phthalate toxicity. basicly any phthalate with butyl in the name is toxic to plants. It effected every plant species tested by one group of researchers. Anyone that wants PDF files to big to post on here PM me your email and I will send you a copy.

U.G.U

Lazyman
My tests were on the black but several members here have the same problem with the blue. So it is safe to say both are bad.

S

snoopytime

Yeah man i have the blue, and like I said I had 9 months in a row of bad grows . . well non-grows really. It was crazy, you put a healthy begged out plant in there and after a week the leaves start getting interveinal chlorosis as in calmag deficiency. I tried using 1/2 tap water, adding calmag first, last, topping off with it etc. then the leave die.

My latest theory since I had root problems as well was that root rot lowered my PH to where they couldnt get any phosphorous. But now that I did a wack dose of Physan followed with hydrofungicide my roots are white as a $30,000 set of teeth lol. So yeah the blue stuff officially sucks too.

D

DHF

Respect UGU........Gladta see someone cares enough ta go the extra mile when folks `re gettin fucked from buying supposedly superior products......

I remember when the controversy on pvc came through and all were changin over ta cpvc.......

Sux when we can`t depend on the products we buy to perform as specified........

Good luck on da class action thingy......Shit needsta be off the market.....period........

Peace....DHF...........:ying:.....

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
OMG! Are you talkin bout this dammm shitbag blue-ass fukkin crap in this picture>?!?!?!?!? Notice any telltale clues in the backround?

I also notice your pvc pipe which also may be off gassing and killing all your shit like mine was. I couldn't believe I spent hours making a net like that for no reason. Lost a whole 1k grow...everything went nuts yellowing and eventually some full blown hermi. I was extremely fortunate to have read an off-gassing thread about plastics in tents and immediately realized the only thing that had changed in my grow which had been going perfect and was going perfect in my other tent was the addition of pvc pipe in my tent.

Took it out and problem fixed. I am not aware of whether or not all pvc can cause this problem but 100% without any doubt some pvc does. Also I have found plastics surrounding wiring that I used to use to hang dry plant also causes off gassing....careful with wtf you use!

Folks you must be very wary of any plastic item you add to your grow room! THINK THINK THINK! Even it is not wholly plastic some parts may be and will cause off-gassing. I have moved to safety of refusing all new plastics or addition of unnecessary equipment that contains plastics.

D

DHF

As I said above , I thought all knew to use cpvc for anything grow room related , but it looks like lotta knowledge has fallen through the cracks over the yrs.......

The flexible bullshit from NGW needs off the market......

OG , CW , HG , all gone with multitudes of knowledge folks here will never see....So sad.........PVC was killin hydro setups left and right back in the day till they figured out it was the Chinese shit offgassin/osmosis whatever the fuck it was doin , but CPVC will work for hardplumbin hydro setups........without slow agonizing yield killin death to killer genetics as this flex tubing is doin.............

Ya`ll take care...DHF........:ying:..

T

THCV

brutal. so many lost grows! Amazing work, UGU. how could NGW not have known?? more chinese garbage dumped into our grows, almost seems like intentional sabotage...maybe the DEA was involved? :dunno::watchplant:

definitely worse than the melamine in the petfood. but it won't get the same news coverage, that's for sure! oh the agony.

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I also notice your pvc pipe which also may be off gassing and killing all your shit like mine was. I couldn't believe I spent hours making a net like that for no reason. Lost a whole 1k grow...everything went nuts yellowing and eventually some full blown hermi. I was extremely fortunate to have read an off-gassing thread about plastics in tents and immediately realized the only thing that had changed in my grow which had been going perfect and was going perfect in my other tent was the addition of pvc pipe in my tent.

Took it out and problem fixed. I am not aware of whether or not all pvc can cause this problem but 100% without any doubt some pvc does. Also I have found plastics surrounding wiring that I used to use to hang dry plant also causes off gassing....careful with wtf you use!

Folks you must be very wary of any plastic item you add to your grow room! THINK THINK THINK! Even it is not wholly plastic some parts may be and will cause off-gassing. I have moved to safety of refusing all new plastics or addition of unnecessary equipment that contains plastics.
Hey 40, I've been using sched 40 pvc as a frame for a scrog. This is my first run with it, and I just want to be sure you are saying that you experienced these same outgassing problems using pvc in your grow room?

Thanks!

S

snoopytime

Hey Thanks 40, that is interesting you mention that about the PVC in my pic. I could have sworn I read that CPVC was the bad stuff and that as long as the pipe is regular PVC then its fine. This stuff is called "JMEagle" and "PWEagle" Sch. 40 PVC- its the regular stuff from Home Depot. My pal that set me up in january has it all over his (way bigger than my closet) room and has big gnarly buds all over the place. only difference now we realize he has black hydrofarm hose & I had blue NGW (until last nite)

jescowhite

I have 3/4 inch black tubing from ngw, but luckily the box says botanicare. I haven't had any problems with at least 600' of it.

alphacat

First off, massive props to U.G.U. for all the legwork, labwork, and sharing this info with us...

Secondly, I feel like banging my fucking head against the wall (but only a little) because I've brought this very issue up before and received mostly mockery, with a few appreciative hollers from the non-assholes.

Bottom Line: Vinyl - any form of it - is toxic shit. Despite the best efforts of the DuPonts and Dows of the world to obscure/downplay/distract from us the severity of the problem, there's a reason so many are ditching all vinyl products from our lives (including shower curtains, food containers, and many other items with high potential for prolonged exposure and/or ingestion.) Styrene? Bad. Neoprene - like we use for SWC 'plugs' - bad bad bad... in fact, a grower friend of mine just had to seek medical treatment after using a cane with a neoprene handle that caused almost all the skin on his hand to fall off!

Further: plastic simply hasn't been around long enough for us to know the long term interactions with biology. Period. We're in too deep to just pull the plug on all plastics, but we should also use a lot more common sense and stop buying the bad shit in any form, no matter how inconvenient it may be.

The good news... is that there's a better alternative for tubing/hoses than ANY plastic, and it's called Silicone. It's inert, meaning it does not react to acids, solvents, etc. (as plastic does... and remember that our nute solutions lean toward the acidic side) - in fact, it's used by the medical industry for its sterility and material integrity. It lasts longer than normal aquarium tubing, can tolerate a wider range of temperatures, and is available in all the normal sizes.

Other plastics such as HDPE are, as far as we know anyway, safer than vinyl-based plastics. Unfortunately it seems that there's not a lot of easily available alternatives to the handy-dandy PVC plumbing fittings that we've all grown used to like pipe, elbow joints, reducer fittings, etc. There are other supposedly "safer" materials just starting to be available, like PEX, but it's hard to get a hold of on the consumer level and appears to be a kind of industrial specialty: instead of attaching threaded fittings, you have to have a special fusing device. Not very viable, eh?

Also consider glass for any system components you can use it for, for the same reasons - it's inert, non-toxic (as long as it's not cheap leaded glass,) and inexpensive.

S

snoopytime

I called the JM Eagle Global Headquarters in LA today and talked to their tech dept. to ask if there is any phthalate offgassing. The tech wrote down the exact name 'di-isobutyl phthalate' then looked it up, then put me on hold for 3 minutes while he asked the QA dept. They said there has never been a study done, because they don't add it in and there was never a reason to think it may be in their schedule 40 PVC pipe. So basically he said they cant say yes or know because they never did a study. But its not on their list of ingredients to make it.

Dude thanks so much for the info on this, very important info for everyone, including peoples local shops to know about. I know I'll be telling my local grow shop about this shit. I dealt with the hydrohut off gassing a few years ago and that was a total hassle. Thanks for the heads up man!!

jjblunt

where would one find black silicon tubing? I scoured the net and could only find translucent.

this is great info, I am using just a small 3' piece of the NGW black tubing and am having this same issue.