What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

best method to make caviar/ moonrocks

That is a big one ha ha. Mine are solid. The melted shatter sets up once cooled. It's literally kief coated rock. They arent hard to make, but it takes some time.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well now we know the proper way to put on size thirteen red leather shoes.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
That is a big one ha ha. Mine are solid. The melted shatter sets up once cooled. It's literally kief coated rock. They arent hard to make, but it takes some time.
So, there you have it kiddies... FF's nug brings up a significant point.

High quality cannabis/shatter/kief, lovingly applied together with time and patience. This creates a wonderful moonrock, which would cost a significant penny due to the work involved. Something to geek out on for a minute. I remember 'playing' with my cannabis. lol Unfortunately, the reality is anything you find for sale is going to be significantly lower quality. :tiphat: Crap in, crap out, the commercial game uses this method to pimp out low quality buds.

Without charging $100/g, or some other ridiculous price to cover the labor/time/quality-materials involved, you're just not going to get a FrozenFire quality nug.Save

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
my preference is to mix weed and hash(s) in their final smoking vessel

i like rolling joints, running a snake of hash down the middle, sprinkle w keif... same can be done to a bong-rip or bowl-pack
Sounds like one of my "jazzy joints" roll, spiral with oil, sprinke with kief.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
And all the arrogant purist kunts surface and totally fuckup a simple question because they were toilet trained at gunpoint.

But a few ways were mentioned:
1. Warm heavy oil, roll in keif, cool and set.
or
2. Cover in a nice warmed quality shatter, roll in keif, cool and set.
Think about it long enough and you'll find what works best for you and your customers.

And if you're looking to go industrial because you grew a shit load, and weed prices have tanked, use a Webber paint sprayer with a modified tip to cover the shit, *cover in keif, use parchment paper to press/roll the keif onto it, strain the excess keif, set, cool and bag. Just make sure you start with bowl size buds not the big ass shit you see in pictures. Ok... go ahead and make a big rock to stick in the bad for marketing purposes.

You just made your $600/lb outdoor weed into $4000+/lb. Plus you got to play with a paint sprayer.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's not about purity (though for the most part moonrocks are made with black oil and green sift).

It's functionality sacrificed for appeal to the lowest customer base.

Try to roll a joint with a moonrock and get back to us "arrogant purists" on how well that went. Be sure to include a picture of your hands and whatever you used to break it up.

Dispensaries think up all sorts of shit like this to move crap product. 600/lb to 4k, as you said yourself.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Actually, 4k is discounted about 20k from retail so it's moved quick. Like in one bulk buy quick. I don't like holding shit longer than I need to. But if you want to up your risk, get greedy and up the price.

If I did, I'd only smoke it in a bowl. But I agree with you 100%. It's about marketing and moving a product. Like dabbing is the latest emerging trend. If some head wants to give me a large so he can impress his friends by getting fried to the point where he can't walk, that's his doing.

For my small personal circle, out of a hundred plants, I'll keep a bit of the very best. A pound at most, to enjoy at leisure for the year. I usually give some of that away to friends though. I used to make newfie screech and caribou in high school. Terrible shit. But everyone wanted it so....

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There's always the adage of "if it works, it's not stupid".

A lot of stuff is picked early these days to creater lighter extracts. I poke fun but red handedly.

Never tried screech. Parent's made it back east. I'd say turbo is more common here for low grade high test.

Smoke342

Yeah for good moonrocks with dense buds you need about 4 oz bud, 2 oz Kief and 10 oz oil per pound so the cheapest u can get is like 400 for decent bud, 300 Kief and 2000 for the oil so about 2700, of course the oil could be cheaper if you make it yourself and the bud if you grow it yourself lol, but that's about as cheap as it gets and you could spend a lot more.

U could substitute isolate($1500 upgarde) for Kief and use 200/o bud($400 upgrade) and even cover them in sauce ($8000 upgrade) and ur looking at 13.2k per pound lol

But really just grab a big mixing bowl heat the oil up to 260 dump the bud in and mix it all up, maybe let it get warm again if it's not all the way mixed then roll it in a bed of Kief... with a 8 qt bowl could whip up a good 2-3# in minutes...with a 16 qt bowl could easily make 4-5 pounds in 10 minutes, not including the heating time.

Yeah you can paint the buds and use alot less oil but your going to be sitting their all day trying to fill a 2-3# order.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I wouldn't bother unless I grew my own. The necessary material surfaces during the dry trimming, and you can do something with the frigging popcorn.

I saw a shop in Colorado selling 1g bud with .25g oil plus .5g kief for $20. And it wasn't gross. I saw a shop in SF selling 1g total bud/oil/kief that wasn't any better for $90. I saw a shop in Oregon with really nice quality fresh stuff, 1g bud + 1g of oil/kief (not specified ratio) for $45. The only one of the three that I'd consider buying.

So your answer, like all cannabis products right now is: Whatever they can get for it. :)

G

Gr33nSanta

I do not understand why someone would go through the pain of extracting resin heads from plant matter only to mix it back with it. What a backward idea. Only the uneducated would want to smoke that stuff.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
A lot of uneducated people like extracts that are only clear or yellow too. If there is a market for it... If any, I think the appeal would lie with being able to smoke or vape a very concentrated hit, that the kief alone can not provide. I LOVE kief from dry ice hash, but shatter is stronger, and combining all three does have some entourage effects. Just for a simple test, if you ever make shatter, drizzle a fair amount of freshly purged on a bong hit, and it will cross your eyes a bit.

I can't imagine anyone buys them for regular medicine. It's just a fun novelty/tourist/bachelor party kinda thing. Something to throw on top of a pound to blow away those Missouri kids ;)

PDX Dopesmoker

I do not understand why someone would go through the pain of extracting resin heads from plant matter only to mix it back with it. What a backward idea. Only the uneducated would want to smoke that stuff.

Want to load a bowl and walk across town a few miles puffing the whole way without reloading? Moonrocks will get you there, what else? Am I uneducated? Please link me to some of your academic publications, my references can be found in the Astrophysical Journal and Nature amongst others.
If you take some nice purple buds and smear them with RSO and roll that in purple kief you got Dark Side of the Moonrocks.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I can't imagine anyone buys them for regular medicine. It's just a fun novelty/tourist/bachelor party kinda thing. Something to throw on top of a pound to blow away those Missouri kids ;)

I don't disagree, but one guy's crack is another guy's regular medicine. People that dab often consume an insane amount compared to the average dude getting machine butchered mids.

I find this thread interesting because I seriously fucking love all three components of the moonrocks, and I have come to discover that all three have unique characteristics, but like Mobin made a funny early on - where does it end...

I saw a shop in Colorado selling 1g bud with .25g oil plus .5g kief for $20. And it wasn't gross. I saw a shop in SF selling 1g total bud/oil/kief that wasn't any better for $90. I saw a shop in Oregon with really nice quality fresh stuff, 1g bud + 1g of oil/kief (not specified ratio) for $45. The only one of the three that I'd consider buying.

So your answer, like all cannabis products right now is: Whatever they can get for it. :)

I guess like real estate - All markets are local!

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
dip your grade A flower in d9 distillate then d8 water clear then roll in thcA and cbd crystals, mist with terpenes....

and then just when everyone thought you were done sprinkle some crack on it.

giphy.gif

Needs repeating for context...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
A lot of uneducated people like extracts that are only clear or yellow too. If there is a market for it... If any, I think the appeal would lie with being able to smoke or vape a very concentrated hit, that the kief alone can not provide. I LOVE kief from dry ice hash, but shatter is stronger, and combining all three does have some entourage effects. Just for a simple test, if you ever make shatter, drizzle a fair amount of freshly purged on a bong hit, and it will cross your eyes a bit.

Makes me see Unicorns farting rainbows.