What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

IS THIS FAKE PURPLE WEED?

Rjay

This is my first post ever on the forum, I've been searching around for a while for some answers but can't seem to find any. I recently came across some purple bud, purple do-si-do it was pitched as, not from the usual source but seemed very solid. Look, smell, taste - passed the usual tests.

However, I started to reading online about purple and lots of people saying there is fake purple around. One post suggested taking a bud and holding it between a wet paper towel - I did this and it did indeed leave a purple / pinky mark on the paper. Of course this made me panic and think it must be dyed, however, one poster suggested that Anthocyanin - the compound that causes bud to go purple - would indeed rub off on wet paper.

I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm this test using some true purple? See if the same thing happens or if I really have just picked something up that's been dyed.

The strangest thing is - I wasn't charged more for it, the one hit I had seemed to work as expected, it looks and smells great - just this strange colouring on the towel.

Anyone with knowledge or access to true purple strain able to help me?

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 451
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 486
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 451

Leaf Eater

I would be sceptical too. Look at the trichs and it they are purple the color may be from the oil. I have seen purple rosin pressed out and it was purple.But i dont think you would see it on paper but maybe. could it be koolaid? I hear people are doing that now.It will be interesting to see what others have to say on this subject

Rjay

Thanks guys - I've read about the Koolaid trick also - what's strange is the other stuff I picked up at the same time off this guy seems perfect and even this purple one with close inspection seems totally in order - the trichs are white and there's lots of them, smell seems sickly sweet, a bit like Girl Scout Cookies and the purple permeates all the way through the buds, there's still red hairs, lots of green - it seems legit in every way except this strange colouring on the paper.

@spaventa - Be great if you have something else to repeat the test with, thanks.

Rjay

@spaventa - sorry, posted that just as you must have posted your pic. Did you give the little nug a good squeeze? I really had to wet the nug and push a lot for it to come out - but seems like I will be calling this guy back.

Spaventa

Veteran
@spaventa - sorry, posted that just as you must have posted your pic. Did you give the little nug a good squeeze? I really had to wet the nug and push a lot for it to come out - but seems like I will be calling this guy back.

yep thats what i did, squeezed it between paper.

I just did another test. I used hot water and rubbed it as well as squeezing and nothing comes out.

this was her in life

Rjay

@spaventa Looks beautiful - so strange, because of than this, everything else seemed fine, it got me baked when I tried it the first time - I would expect this sort of thing to have been applied to really shitty weed and for the seller to ask for more if they were trying to scam.

Guess the next question would be - how would you get it to look so good, so real, purple in all the right places?

Rjay

Spoken to my guy and he says I'm bugging out - fairly adamant that this is normal for purple bud. Anyone else add to the conversation? On another forum, where I originally saw the idea of doing the paper towel test, someone replied and said it is entirely possible for purple bud to do this.

Just want to get some good opinion before I push this guy harder to replace the stuff.

RJay it looks some decent bud, if you smoke cannabis regularly, you would be able to tell any adulteration pretty quickly. Purple in buds can range from many hues naturally and that bud you have looks decent.

Rjay

@weedaholic For me - everything else seems totally fine with it - just want to know if that leakage of colour on the paper towel is something common.

Buds turn purple due to the plant genetics and growing environment. Some plants are naturally 100% deep purple, some plants, purple can be expressed with cold temps during nighttime.

Paper towel test is very uncommon, you wouldn't really test for the color at all. If it looks like cannabis, smells like cannabis and get you high like cannabis, it's probably cannabis.

It's highly unlikely for anyone to add anything to change the color.

Also as a more definitive yes, yes the color will leak like it does in your picture of the paper towel and that indeed is just anthocyanin

rolandomota

I have seen purple bleed in to paper when dark purple weed is rolled in a joint. But this test you did seems like someone dipped the bud in grape koolaid for smell lol but maybe its just the bud and has nothing in it looks legit purple though

Dog Star

Veteran
Here at ICMAG i think RC Colas growed some Vietnam purple strain that lived purple stain
on joint if they are smoked in papers... am not sure for your sample tough as they used
a die to colour a weed.. it doesnt look logicaly but what i know..

Leaf Eater

I still think it may be kool aid, heard stories of people putting glass to make buds shinny. this could also be authentic.
check out the video below
Keep in mind this is squished with tons of pressure
[YOUTUBEIF]pcaCT7d8dZs[/YOUTUBEIF]

Last edited:

Drewsif

Thanks guys - I've read about the Koolaid trick also - what's strange is the other stuff I picked up at the same time off this guy seems perfect and even this purple one with close inspection seems totally in order - the trichs are white and there's lots of them, smell seems sickly sweet, a bit like Girl Scout Cookies and the purple permeates all the way through the buds, there's still red hairs, lots of green - it seems legit in every way except this strange colouring on the paper.

@spaventa - Be great if you have something else to repeat the test with, thanks.

A lot of, in fact the majority of grow store shoppers use bottled black market products that replicate the kool aid, sugar water tricks of the 70s. They feel that since these products come in a package with a upc, it must be a legit product with a legit use.

I've seen purple wax before, and peeps keep defending the bro science. "oh it's evolution, i must be god" They won't admit the obvious fact that many if not all hydroponic products are designed to artificially change the appearance by direct contamination with dyes, sugars, esters, oils, and whatever else will inflame and grease up a premature bud into false looks of maturity. In the dispo you can line the color of buds up by the nute line used. 100% accuracy. Dont let anyone tell you these hydro store products are making weed better. Nope. Just dying and coating it in inflammation-causing frosty sugar.

Spaventa

Veteran
Actually, a bloke in a shop was talking about someone he knew who uses food dye. Add that shit to the res. I bet they will be adding the flavourings next.

Latest posts

Latest posts