What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hochstrom filters from Summit Research, leaking?

hash head

Yes. Deeper vac for 1st stage, less for 2nd and 3rd.

I use a water recirculating pump and it's sufficient for at least 2 filters, maybe more I'll see soon. No cold trap required with water recirc pumps.

How do water recirculating pumps compare in terms of performance with a water faucet aspirator.. how much money can be saved making a diy recirculator for this purpose with a faucet aspirator, an aquarium pump and a tote?

HG23

Do yourself a favor and just buy a tabletop buchner filter, way more surface area for the money!

https://www.amazon.com/H14627-1260-...d=1491416175&sr=8-2&keywords=tabletop+buchner

Do you notice any problems with liquid seeping around the edges of the filter paper? That seems to be what I keep hearing about from the Summit guy but I haven't actually talked to anyone with experience who says it's a problem.

I will have batches of about 25 gallons of ethanol/oil mixture to winterize from my ethanol extraction system and I am thinking a 24" tabletop buchner is the easy choice vs running 2 or more Hochstroms. Even if the Hochstrom does indeed have a similar flow rate to a 20-24" funnel as the owner claims, wouldn't changing out the filter paper/media repeatedly become way too much of a hassle over the course of 25 gallons? Just because it may have a similar flow rate to a larger filter doesn't make up for its lack of surface area in comparison.

I might still consider using a couple Hochstroms for carbon filtering though, it seems like that's where they really come in handy. I wouldn't want to deal with loading up a 24" funnel with silica.

As a point of reference, I can put 25 gallons of winterized ethanol/crude (mixed at 7:1) through my 24" tabletop buchner in about an hour and twenty minutes. Never had any problems with sealing and the filter papers are easy to change. The only issue is the support rings under the filter deck make it difficult to get out the last bit of filtrate.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How do water recirculating pumps compare in terms of performance with a water faucet aspirator.. how much money can be saved making a diy recirculator for this purpose with a faucet aspirator, an aquarium pump and a tote?

Not enough head pressure capacity on an aquarium pump. Maybe a sump pump or jet pump. You have to have enough pressure to force the required volume of water through the venturi, to generate the -28.5/-29.5" Hg performance capabilities. http://www.tlv.com/global/TI/calculator/water-flow-rate-through-orifice.html

Works better if the water is chilled.

As a point of reference, I can put 25 gallons of winterized ethanol/crude (mixed at 7:1) through my 24" tabletop buchner in about an hour and twenty minutes. Never had any problems with sealing and the filter papers are easy to change. The only issue is the support rings under the filter deck make it difficult to get out the last bit of filtrate.

Couple of questions if I may:

* How many times are you changing out filters over the course of that 25 gallon run ?

* What vacuum pump are you using ?

Thanks !

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Thats like 3 filter changes, using a small welch diaphragm pump.

Right Price Chemicals delivered on a couple of orders to my residential address without a business account. Here's their Bel-Art table top filter page,

http://www.rightpricechemicals.com/bel-art-sp-scienceware-table-top-buchner-funnels.html

Check out their glove offerings under Lab Safety Products, goes on and on... :laughing:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Attachments

• _dsc1995wm.jpg
    _dsc1995wm.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 11

whatthe215

Veteran
@SkyHighLer

Looks like that's only a 2" filter plate... I can't imagine that setup doing any significant amount of filtration.

----

To update: the problem with leaking seems to have been a batch issue... I've ordered more hochstroms and gotten new filter plates and they are sealing perfectly.

Something to hold the filter plate and then a rubber wrench to tighten/loosen the spool makes life a lot easier.

I will say that I don't think the hochstroms are well suited for 1st stage filtration, especially with nastier wax heavy crude. I think surface area is key, so a tabletop buchner is probably best for initial filtration.

Lab Society just started offering their version made by a welder n.b.oler?, which has a 10" diameter I believe. Looks like it would work as well if not better due to higher surface area.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I called BVV, it's a 6" diameter filter, the 2" is a height reference.

Couple of five gallon plastic paint pails, one rests inside the other leaving a gap at the bottom, put a fitting in middle of the bottom pail, drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of the upper pail.

whatthe215

Veteran
I called BVV, it's a 6" diameter filter, the 2" is a height reference.

Couple of five gallon plastic paint pails, one rests inside the other leaving a gap at the bottom, put a fitting in middle of the bottom pail, drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of the upper pail.

Good idea, have you built one yet? That'd be a nice cheapo solution.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's just a thought that came to me from recalling how airtight a fit a couple of pails I had caused them to stick together. The pails are only $5 each, worth an experimental trial. The bottoms of the pails may deflect under vacuum, a spacer between them might help.

If the idea is practical and you want something more sanitary and robust, how about a couple of five gallon stainless steel stock pots? Search deep for the stock pots, they are available in various wall thicknesses, with and without handles, etc.

If you're up to cutting out a gasket or devising some other improvised seal, check out this double boiler,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vollrath-Cl...608920?hash=item4b18dbdb58:g:YecAAOSwpkFY7PMw

The Hockstrom's are nice, not knocking them except for the expense.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 1b - 1.jpg
    1b - 1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

GNYC

You guys ordering from summit are in humboldt or mendo? The hochstroms threading deteriorates w heavy use over time gone through 6 of em leak everywhere. When these finally go im just gonna use a buchner and use the hochstrom for the carbon wash.

Attachments

• IMG_7804.jpg
    IMG_7804.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 18
I've been using the Lab Society 10" filter. It is good if you use the largest Bunn coffee filters you can get on Amazon. With flat filters, it can be a bitch to get a good seal. Either way, it works great once you get a seal.

whatthe215

Veteran