What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stupid Potent Butter With Minimal Trim

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Got another batch cookin in coconut oil, whole house smells dank. I bought a potato ricer to press that hot ass trim, should make it a lot easier. I always hated squeezing it through cheesecloth.

I picked up a metal screen with a wooden handle from the local food store which I use along with a large metal spoon for pressing the material. Way less of a pain to use!

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
I am so in! Making canna butter in a crock pot- brilliant. I'm gonna read this whole thread, but for now I'm laughing, thinking about the possibilities.

Adding cinnamon- also brilliant. I'll be playing around with these two basic ideas for years, thanks for sharing them!

RB56

Veteran
Got another batch cookin in coconut oil, whole house smells dank. I bought a potato ricer to press that hot ass trim, should make it a lot easier. I always hated squeezing it through cheesecloth.

Been working well for me. I run the cooked mess through a strainer. Strainer hold plant matter, liquids go through into a holding pot. I rest the strainer on top of the holding pot and pour some boiling water over the plant matter to rinse it. Then I press the rinsed plant matter through the potato ricer. End up with cakes of pressed, almost dry to the touch plant matter. I pour the liquids through a finer strainer into the cooling pot and then go through 1 or 2 more heating and cooling cycles to finishing cleaning it up. Very little wasted good stuff.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
hehe, better dont use salted butter dude
i thing that in the end the butter wont get separated from the water...

thanks... after thinkin about it, most times receipes do
call for unsalted butter... will now have to wait till tomm, as no unsalted in the house...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
got my lb of unsalted butter... got a crock pot, and the cinnamon..

I have 32grams of some very nice sour diesel kush... its 2 buds.. do I have to mince the buds, or just break em up a bit?? and I'm figuring once I strip the bud from the stalk, the 32grams, will drop to 28 (1oz)... is that toooo much for the 1 lb of butter???

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
started a batch 3hrs ago in a crockpot ... I used 2sticks unsalted butter (1/2lb), 30grams of very nice sdkush bud, 2 tablespoons of cinnamon... don't smell any herb, but the house reeks of cinnamon...

Terpene

Veteran
started a batch 3hrs ago in a crockpot ... I used 2sticks unsalted butter (1/2lb), 30grams of very nice sdkush bud, 2 tablespoons of cinnamon... don't smell any herb, but the house reeks of cinnamon...

2 sticks should leave you with about 1.8 - 1.9 sticks of butter when you're done. If you're running a batch of plants that would produce about 5-6oz of bud, then 2 sticks is about right. Normally 1 stick will suffice for plants that produce 2-3oz and a 4oz is about 1.25-1.5 sticks for a normal sized crock pot.

If you're adding a substantial dose of cinnamon, the house should smell more like Cinnabon more than a pot farm.

For those wondering which cookies I make here is a link to Krusteaz Cookies which you should be able to find in the baking aisle. The triple chocolate chunk and snickerdoodles are excellent when you follow the recipe exactly.

Each box requires 1 stick of butter and I generally dilute my butter mix with a stick of regular butter to make two boxes out of each batch of butter. Generally speaking, 1-2 cookies will do it for all but the highest tolerances, in which case 3 cookies works. If you don't dilute the butter, the cookies will be .5-.75 of a cookie for the average person, 1-1.5 for pros. (Zach in your case, just add them without dilution for roughly the same strength.)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
terp... we normally get about 2.5/3 oz's per plant... so I thought that adding 1 solid oz (30grams actually) of excellent bud would be the ticket... but after reading your last, I don't want to scrimp on the potency, so added another 10grams of the sd kush...

i'll cook the whole thing for 10hrs, giving the extra 10grams, 6+ hrs of cooking...

then it will be onto baking the cookies in a few days... thanks....

Raziel819

terpene, I read somewhere, can't remember now where, that the fat in butter has a saturation point when you make butter. Meaning, that the fat percentage of the butter has a limit on how much thc can be absorbed. So the higher the fat percentage the more thc that is bonded to the butter.

Terpene

Veteran
terpene, I read somewhere, can't remember now where, that the fat in butter has a saturation point when you make butter. Meaning, that the fat percentage of the butter has a limit on how much thc can be absorbed. So the higher the fat percentage the more thc that is bonded to the butter.

You are correct. The amount of fat present in the butter/coconut oil/etc will dictate how much THC you can pump into your edibles. I wouldn't worry too much about that though.

Another thing I've heard is that at some ridiculous point the fats become completely THC saturated and cannot absorb any more material from the trim. Usually bros use this as their reasoning for adding 2 more sticks of butter to the crock pot. DON'T! To get to that point, you'd have to have enough THC (base molecule, not plant matter) to stick to all of the fat found in one stick of butter. I would imagine you'd need as much pure THC by weight as butter for max saturation (assuming 1 fat molecule can only bind to 1 THC molecule) which would be 4 ounces of kief per stick of butter! :yoinks: If you ever decide to do that, don't give me any of those cookies, I am totally disinterested in that experience.

I have not been able to get anywhere near the point of full fat saturation with the recipe in this thread. Friends of mine have added even more material (buds/kief/hash/etc) for even stronger butter batches and had no problems getting potency even higher. No tricks needed, just dump more material in.

I honestly can't see why you'd need it to be stronger though. The most common thing said about my cookies is that they're way too strong despite being diluted to half strength with a stick of regular butter.

JointOperation

by using the water.. and butter.. your getting rid of the WEED TASTE. and alot of the entourage effect.. because alot of those are water soluble.. so . altho.. the edibles will be potent. and not taste like bud. or green for that matter.. you wont mimic the buds.. even with single strain budder extractions.. with water added.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
a question... after u cook it, and strain it, put it in the fridge, how long do u guys leave it between washings???

yesterday when I made it, I left it overnite (12/13hrs) in the fridge and this morn strained the dirty water, then mixed in some almost boiling water, let it sit for 6hrs, and strained again... now 7hrs later, I want to strain again, but I think its still not solid enough... i'll leave it overnite and do it tomm morn... 18+hrs ... just asking...

RB56

Veteran
Worth waiting until it's fully solid. I fill the sink with cold water and use it as a cooling bath. From there into the refrigerator. Best to leave it all day or overnight.

watts

ohms
Veteran
I try to wait 9+ hours or do a morning rinse and then do another rinse before bed to do twice a day. My oil is clean enough after 2 washes, for my preference. I do use a lot of water in the crock pot when cooking and I have low ppm tap water if it matters.

Terpene

Veteran
by using the water.. and butter.. your getting rid of the WEED TASTE. and alot of the entourage effect.. because alot of those are water soluble.. so . altho.. the edibles will be potent. and not taste like bud. or green for that matter.. you wont mimic the buds.. even with single strain budder extractions.. with water added.

This is actually what I initially thought when I first tried the water extractions.

Rest assured, the high is not affected and nothing is lost. :)

My cookies all replicate the high of the plant used as long as only one strain is used. (Panama cookies have that signature feel-good Panama high, purple haze cookies had the dreamy, psychedelic purple haze high, NepJam cookies were smile inducing and mellow with a hint of energy, etc.) When multiple lines are mixed, you get the typical combination high you'd expect from the lines used.

But hey, don't take my word for it. Try it yourself with your next batch of trim and report back.

Zack - I leave my batches to sit overnight to solidify into a layer of butter on top of the water. Figure 12-14 hours to go from piping hot to solid in the fridge.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
its 2 days later Zach and by now i'll bet you have a good perspective on the butter vs canna issue... but i'll read more.. I think you got 'very' high.

EDIT: Sorry Terpene

hey.. just did my 3rd rinse this morning...n the water looks just like terp's 3rd glass...almost clear... again mixed hot water in the bowl, and covered it up n back in fridge , till tomm morn.. a full 24hrs...

unfort can't make my betty crocker cookies till Friday, but will report back then...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
just drained my 4th time, and the water was not as clear as terp's last cleaning, so stirred some hot water once again, and will drain tomm ,hopefully for the last time ...

Latest posts

Latest posts