What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Glycerin Tincture

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Hi, folks. I have a somewhat sudden need and would appreciate some advice. I'd like to make some Glycerin-based tincture.

1. What concentration of product will the Glycerin tolerate? I mean, potency is of the essence and the availability of bud is not an issue.

2. As I understand, from searching, tincture finishing time can be expedited with heat. How can it be finished the quickest? The only requirements are potency and low (physical) dosage.

TIA,
Simon

Batboy

Bump.

I just picked up some vegetable glycerin with the intention of making a tincture and would love to engage in some discussion. I hope the experienced ones out there join in.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Batboy, I have to admit that right now it seems a little discouraging.

Simon

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
6 more hours, more views, and not a single attempt to help. I spend most of my time on the cultivation forums trying to help others. Now I need a little help and nothing. Do growers come here? Frankly, this is embarrassing.

Batboy, I'll begin experimenting with the process tomorrow. If you've seen the curing thread in my sig, you know how I approach similar projects. Once there's something concrete to share, I'll shoot you a PM.

Simon

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Yea, truth is that most of us have not made it, look for Gray Wolf's work posted here. I think he uses extract to get the best effect, hash oil or kief, but I could be wrong. Read his stuff, the best I have read is there. I got a bottle of veg gly here too, hehe, just too stoned to get around to it.
H

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm about to strap myself in and read every Gray Wolf post on the forum.

Simon

Glycerin is just like any oil/butter/alcohol tincture. Add concentrate until the glycerin cannot hold any more. Use your brain and experiment. Read about things, don't just expect others to walk you through the process.

If you dissolve 28g hash oil into 28oz glycerin, you have 1g oil per 1oz glycerin. Figure out your method of dosage (eye dropper, etc) and dose yourself from there.

Critical thinking!

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Glycerin is just like any oil/butter/alcohol tincture. Add concentrate until the glycerin cannot hold any more. Use your brain and experiment. Read about things, don't just expect others to walk you through the process.

If you dissolve 28g hash oil into 28oz glycerin, you have 1g oil per 1oz glycerin. Figure out your method of dosage (eye dropper, etc) and dose yourself from there.

Critical thinking!

Please don't speak to me like I'm an idiot. I don't appreciate being insulted by someone who cannot even gather the expertise to answer the 2 questions I asked. Clearly, you know as little about this as I do. I guess, as with a few other things, I'm going to have to develop the process, myself. I don't have an issue with that, other than being truly disappointed with the lack of basic guidance. I mean, if anyone asks me a cultivation question, I can answer it or at the very least point the individual toward a point of resolution. That's what it means to be a part of a community of individuals helping each other reach a common goal.

Once I do get this going, I'll post an instructional thread, though it may take many months.

Simon

T

Tr33

just gotta poke around...

GrnMtnGrwr posted the links

I've used the 120 day in the dark tek, it's way much better than the heated method. I have used both teks, and the 120 days produces a stronger tinct.
Have fun!

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Let me give some examples of a helpful answers:

1. What concentration of product will the Glycerin tolerate? I mean, potency is of the essence and the availability of bud is not an issue.

Non-advanced forum member answer - "The usual ratio is 1oz of prime bud per one cup of Glycerin."

Experienced forum member answer - "You can keep adding product to the Glycerin until you see the following signs..."

2. As I understand, from searching, tincture finishing time can be expedited with heat. How can it be finished the quickest? The only requirements are potency and low (physical) dosage.

Non-advanced forum member answer - "I put my tincture on a ballast for a couple of weeks. Works great!"

Experienced forum member answer - "The process can be expedited with a crock pot. Bring the glycerin to ~200F, add product, and maintain for a week. A candy thermometer works well for checking the temp. Ideally, the mixture shouldn't go above ~250F. The drawbacks are a lack of strain-dependent subtleties. Good luck. Shoot me a PM if I can help."

Call me silly, but that's what I expected from folks who spend time on this board.

Simon

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran

Maybe you're right. No previous work was ever done, and no one has any experience to share. Tincture products simply materialize with no clue as to the refinement or the scope of the process. I guess it's up to me to develop the methodology, share it with the community, and help those starting out. Like I said, I'll do it. It just doesn't help right now when I need a little beginner guidance.

Simon

boroboro

I made glycerin tincture once, as a departure from my normal ethanol tincture. Started with decent buds, about 15 grams ground up in the bottom of a mason jar. Covered with glycerin (most of a 16 ounce bottle, just enough to cover the buds, as with ethanol tinctures). Sealed the mason jar and simmered in a pot of near-boiling water for 12+ hours.

Results: nothing special, my normal ethanol recipe seems to me to be stronger. I ended up adding some BHO to the glycerin tincture to improve potency. Flavor is the one thing that was much better in glycerin -- the glycerin tincture had a wonderful aroma from the buds, where the ethanol tincture smells and tastes like booze+leaves.

If I try it again, I'll likely try starting with BHO or another concentrate, rather than starting with buds.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Thank you for sharing your experience. On average, what was the ingested dosage?

Simon

boroboro

I was expecting an effective dose of around 4-7 ml. That's what I get with the weak ethanol tinctures I make. I call these 'weak' tinctures since I don't boil down or reduce the liquid. I like effective doses around 5 ml, since it seems easier to measure out for me.

Anyway, the effective dose for my initial glycerine tincture was around 10-15 ml. Not a huge amount, but I just didn't like consuming that much glycerine. It would change the taste of a cup of tea so much that it tasted like I was drinking tea + cannabis + engine anti-freeze.

I was approaching it differently than you might, Simon, since you're really after potency and I'm happy with 5 ml doses. Still, my first impression with glycerin tinctures was that I should have started with an extract instead of plain buds.

IamNug

Critical thinking!

This is the whole key to any process is to mathematically calculate the circumstances. Then it's pretty much just follow the directions.

angel4us

ICMag Donor
great thread simon

great thread simon

greetings ! made some once with pure grain alcohol. Crudely stuffed a quart mason jar with 2 oz. of manicured green buds then topped with alcohol put in dark place for two weeks . very potent but like mentioned earlier in this thread tasted like alcohol and weeds. but it only took about 9 drops under tongue. burnt like whiskey but .... unfortunately i didnt do any research till a day after dunking buds so .... i did read somewhere should use dried buds with alcohol tincture but seems to me it still going to be ethanol alcohol taste ....800$ worth of buds but i gave alot to some cancer patients ....they really appreciated it .:jump:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I am a believer in heating the herb to convert the thc before extraction, so that no heating of the finished product is needed to do it. Milk, everclear, olive oil, so I will do my gly that way also.

Somewhere I read a thread where the chap used a clean coffee maker, and just loaded the weed/gly mix into the beaker and let it sit there on warm mode for days. Have not tried it but it appeals to the mad kitchen scientist in me, just a thought.

i've been experimenting with the glycerin for a bit now. i started with 3g trim (later moved to bud) per 1 oz glycerin. i've got a crock pot that you can dial in the temp, so i put the above ingredients into a crock pot at 150 deg F for 1.5 hours. then strain through a cheesecloth and walla.

that was pretty good, but not quite where i wanted it. so then, i would do all of the above except strain. now, after the crock pot, i put the whole mess in a mason jar and store it in a cool dark place for as long as i can (last batch was 5 months). tastes awful (i even use fruit and flavors) but works real well this way.

the next step is to use bubble hash or some other kind of hash to boost potency. ive found that its hard to put more plant material in than ~3g per 1oz, because the glycerin just gets soaked up.

good luck!

Latest posts

Latest posts