What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pH Meter or Strips?

i just bought the oakton eco ph2. It's never accurate when i first power it up. It's like I have to wait a bit and keep trying the water. If I take 7.0 and calibrate it first it's dead on. I'm not sure if this is something I'm doing or just the unit. It has 3 point calibration, the store did it for me and I only have the 7.0 calibration stuff.

Should I buy the other calibration fluids?

I'm getting the bluelab truncheon for ec.

cheers
Smiley

How are you storing it?

I rinse it with water and put the cap on. I read that people store them with the probe in fluids but couldn't find anything from the manufacturer.

Should I be leaving water or something in the cap?

This is the one here

Thanks
Smiley

Hey Smiley, put electrode storage solution, pH 4 buffer solution, or pH 7 buffer solution in the cap when you store it.

Also, I'd do a 2 point calibration (4 and 7) when calibrating.

Balance

Like many here, I have had lots of problems with meters. Owned the cheap Hanna, and the expensive one. However, I never took care of them which of course led to problems and the use of drops and strips.

A few years ago I broke down and bought a Milwaukee pen. I would use ph 4 adjusted tap water to clean and store after every use. Haven't had a problem since, except when the batteries were low it would take forever to get a reading. With proper cleaning and storing any meter should work for years.

I still have a bottle of drops for backup, and confirmation. Otherwise it sits largely unused.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Hey Smiley, put electrode storage solution, pH 4 buffer solution, or pH 7 buffer solution in the cap when you store it.

Also, I'd do a 2 point calibration (4 and 7) when calibrating.

I will do that right away, is there something else I should be cleaning the electrode with? They say water.... but with all the stuff I put it I figure there might be a more thorough way to clean it.

Smiley

I will do that right away, is there something else I should be cleaning the electrode with? They say water.... but with all the stuff I put it I figure there might be a more thorough way to clean it.

DI water is the standard for cleaning (but also about the worst thing you can store it in).

Distilled water is prerrt bad for cleaning and especially storing..its leaks something from the electrode..just rinse with tap water..and either store in tap water or some 7 or 4 buffer solution..just put a drop in the cap..and that will keep it wet

Distilled water is prerrt bad for cleaning and especially storing..its leaks something from the electrode..just rinse with tap water..and either store in tap water or some 7 or 4 buffer solution..just put a drop in the cap..and that will keep it wet

Standard protocol is to clean with DI water, but you are correct - storing in DI or distilled water is bad news.

http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/techinfo.asp?htmlfile=pHElectrodeCare.htm

Electrodes should be rinsed between samples with distilled or deionized water. Never wipe an electrode—wiping can cause erroneous readings due to static charges. Blot the end of the electrode with lint-free paper to remove excess water.
Always keep your pH electrode moist. We recommend that you store your electrode in a solution of 4 M KCl. If 4 M KCl is not available, use a pH 4 or 7 buffer solution. DO NOT store electrode in distilled or deionized water—this will cause ions to leach out of the glass bulb and render your electrode useless.

PH meters are so important for a grow, the digital kinds are the best and calibrating them isn't to difficult to do, especially if you use it often enough.

After re-reading this thread, I am convinced there are a large amount of people that do NOT take care of their digital pH meters.

It is imperative to do the following:

-Calibrate weekly at least

-Store the meter in storage solution or 7.0 solution.....I wouldn't think 4.0 would be a good option.....JMO

-Personally...for the 6.95USD it costs me, I replace the batteries every 4-6 weeks. When yer batteries get low....the readings aren't as accurate.

-Overall, KEEP IT CLEAN!!!! Rinse and dry it as much as you can prior to returning the meter tot he cap.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
After re-reading this thread, I am convinced there are a large amount of people that do NOT take care of their digital pH meters.

It is imperative to do the following:

-Calibrate weekly at least

-Store the meter in storage solution or 7.0 solution.....I wouldn't think 4.0 would be a good option.....JMO

-Personally...for the 6.95USD it costs me, I replace the batteries every 4-6 weeks. When yer batteries get low....the readings aren't as accurate.

-Overall, KEEP IT CLEAN!!!! Rinse and dry it as much as you can prior to returning the meter tot he cap.

:yeahthats

Forgot to say.....

I also don't think pH meters give you a dead nuts reading in 10 seconds.

When I test, I stick the meter in the well stirred solution and swirl it around for 10 seconds, then I hold it still for 10-20 seconds, swirl for another 10 seconds, hold still til the reading on the screen has been the same for 60 seconds.

If nothing else, let yer reading stabilize for 60 seconds.

Patience is a virtue....when it comes to growing.

Hey everyone, thanks again for all the great contributions to the thread. Admiral Canna's post above about fluctuation in the meter, made me thing of another issue. I dont know if it is worthy of its own thread...but who uses constant pH vs pH float/fluctuation.

I personally hand water, so I mix and apply a batch at a time. I stick with 5.8 from clone to harvest. The only flux is sometimes on a harvest I will raise the pH to near 6 the last few weeks to squeeze out the last remaining P&K from the medium if it seems like it needs it.

So, who keeps it the same...and who purposefully floats? I have never been successful with float and start seeing issues with the plants when I float. Anyone else?

Cheers GR.

Are you talking about starting yer veg feeds at 5.8 and then rising a lil every watering til you get to like 6.5--or something to this effect? I have heard Greenhouse recommend this in a book before on one of their strains.

I guess thats like dialing in PPMs to perfection.....you flux to allow the plant to absorb the best range of nutes for its point in life.

I would love to chat about it.....new thread necessary?

robbiedublu

I use paper and double check with drops. Never had any ph issues. When I first started in coco I intended to get a meter but after reading many threads, could never decide which one so just continued to use ph paper. I am lucky in that I have pretty good water to begin with and perhaps that makes it easier for me. I just shoot for 5.8 and if it drifts up or down a tad thats ok.

Ckali559

Looking to pick up a pen tomorrow.
Strips seem inaccurate to me; the r/o water I get is right around 6.5, and I'm using coco and can't seem to land on 5.8, I'm usually right around 6.0. When I lower using ph down, the smallest drop usually takes me to below 5.0, so I started diluting the ph down w/ water in HOPES of hitting the mark... I'm sure a pen will give me a much more accurate reading as needed.

Phatlewtz

Looking to pick up a pen tomorrow.
Strips seem inaccurate to me; the r/o water I get is right around 6.5, and I'm using coco and can't seem to land on 5.8, I'm usually right around 6.0. When I lower using ph down, the smallest drop usually takes me to below 5.0, so I started diluting the ph down w/ water in HOPES of hitting the mark... I'm sure a pen will give me a much more accurate reading as needed.
Currently this is what I use. And since work thinks I needed it to "test the solids in the boiler".... Cant beat what i paid...free..always nice having a moron for a boss ;) for the record its also nice to have an industrial address to use.