What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moonshine still?

jim_w

There seem to be a lot of homebrewers here - do any of you make your own spirits too?

Homegrown weed + homemade booze... ;-D

jim_w

Wow, I'm surprised that no-one's into moonshining... Seems to be the ideal combination of hobbies!

That's my still in operation - the smaller jar on the right is full of finished booze at about 80%ABV.

This stuff is plenty strong/clean enough to make hideously potent green dragon or even 'iso' style oil. The still herself cost only about twenty quid because I got a lot of the bits for free. Can you tell that the big copper plate used to be something else? ;-P

The wash is pretty much just sugar, so five gallons at 15-20% costs about a fiver and it'll make around a gallon of booze at 70-80%. With alcohol tax as high as it is over here, that's hugely cheaper - the cheapest nasty vodka is about a tenner a quart for 40%.

The Bastard Brewer

Bastard Brewer
Hey Jim W you are just the person I've been looking for. I need some info on indoor distilling or freeze distilling. I see from your set up you use a small indoor still on your stove ,how dangerous is this and what ventilation do you use?
I agree about it being a great thing to do to compliment growing,as a fermenting barrel in full pelt pumps out CO2 which is great for grow rooms.It also can help disguise the smell ,but only in small scale grow rooms.
Also in 1995 I started making Ice-o-later hash without knowing it as I was using fruit mash bags and ice cold water to extract the THC and keep the oil solid for brewing with. It shows what can be learned from taking other skills/techniques from other trades.
I am trying to make Budka at the momment and would be more than interested in sharing info on this or other similar projects.
All the best and keep dancing in the moonshine

jim_w

Ahoy Brewer!

Freeze distillation: It works, but it's not a terribly good idea. Water boils at 100C and freezes at 0C; ethanol boils at 82C and freezes at about -100C. Actual distillation works because the ethanol boils off before the water (sort of...), whereas freeze distillation works becuse the water freezes before the ethanol. The problem is clear - freeze distillation concentrates everything by removing water, whereas real distillation extracts the ethanol from the wash.

If you've got a bit of weak booze and you want to up the ABV a bit, freeze distillation works fine - put the booze in the freezer, take it out to shake it every now and again, then seive it when ice crystals start to form. Repeat 'till it's as strong as you want it. All the flavour will remain, as will the hangover-causing chemicals. If you're just boosting some cider from 5%ABV to 10% then there's no serious problem, but if you're trying for a much higher ABV - real spirits - then you're taking a big risk from methanol and freinds.

As you can see from my setup, actual distillation isn't hard at all. I scrounged almost all the parts for my still - the condensor was made for me by a kind plumber (the boss pays for the copper, so he didn't mind doing it for free ;-P), the big copper tray thing came from a freind who was chucking it out and the pot is standard kitchen equipment.

Danger: it's not very dangerous - the worst thing that can happen is sudden release of the vapour. This sucks, but with an electric stove and no smoking it's not a big deal. In normal operation there's no need for ventilation, but it's a good idea to do it near a window/door/fan just in case the vapour escapes. A test run with water helps.

This is turning into a bit of an essay...

Using the CO2 from fermenting to help plants is a very good idea - it's been suggested to me before, but I'm afraid the coolest thing I can grow at the moment is chilis. I live in a rented house, so it's not really safe to grow weed. One day...

Making Budka (good name!) is pretty easy if you've got good moonshine - 80% is plenty strong enough for a good extraction - the best I've made needed about 10ml to get wasted. The key seems to be baking the weed before putting it in the booze, to de-carboxylate the THC (or something...).

If you're interested in distillation check out http://homedistiller.org/ - they have all the info you need, but most of the people there are more high-tech than me - they like reflux still that produce 96% ethanol in one pass. Reading that site gives the impression that it's really hard, but it's not.

Must run now - I've got some distilling to do!

The Bastard Brewer

Bastard Brewer
Hey Jim W great to talk. You got me thinking already :chin:
Unfortunately I have gas stove. But an electric hot plate can be bought. I was worried about the still pressure and escaping vapour exploding!
My adivce to you for getting a good THC mash for brewing/distilling purposes is
Use a brewing Mash bag and place your weed in there. Stick this into iced water and mash. Removed the bag after a good mashing and use the solution that left during secondry frementation.This guarentees the maximum amount of THC(High) and the minimum of cannaboid oils(Stone).This also stops the weed from overpowering the taste.Also avoids your brew from tasting like rotting vegitation.
For freeze distilling the problem I always run against is trying to remove the methenol from the freeze distilled solution.Had to chuck a couple of barrels already :confused: :badday:
But I think I'll give your still I try.
Hope I have been of some help to you as well. If you have any questions I am more than happy to help if I can.

jim_w

I like your beer technique - I've been trying to work out how to get weed into the beer without having it tase 'green'. Do you use trim or actual weed?

I was thinking of using a normal beer kit - something light and hoppy, I guess - and adding the weedy water to it then brewing as normal. Is that how you do it? I suppose if you had enough weed you could make 100% weed brew...

I'm not sure what distillation would do to the brew - I think the THC would stay behind it the wash, but I'm not sure. It's certainly worth a try...

The Bastard Brewer

Bastard Brewer
I usually use trim and the best way to get the weed into the brew is to wash it. I have been doing this since 1995 nowadays its call making Ice-o-later.
Unfortunately beer yeast is not strong enough to react with the THC.If you pour in the mash solution and brew the beer normally it should still effect you BUT I believe you will loose a lot of the Mash as it settles on the bottom and has a little reaction with the yeast and alcohol.
If you read the 'Hi to the Bastard Brew crew' thread I have just put up a detailed recipe for making Cycocyder.
I am hoping that during the distillation process that the THC has combined with the alcohol during the fermenting process and will be distilled along with the alcohol.
Someone also suggected an alcohol vapouriser to to enfuse weed and alcohol. I will keep experimenting .

jim_w

The Cycocider sounds good! I'll have to try some of that next apple season. My folks have more apples than they know what to do with, so I can easily get ten gallons or so of fresh pressed juice.

Next 4/20 I'll have to come to Amsterdam and taste some of your brew...

As for distillintg it, I don't think the THC would come through - I'm not 100%, but my understanding is that anything in solution with the ethanol will stay behind when it's boiled off. Think ISO oil - the ISO boils off, leaving the THC in the dish. Freeze distillation would get around this by simply removing water, but methanol becomes a big problem - cider has very high methanol levels, so concentrating it any more could be dangerous.

I haven't really had enough weed to experiment properly, but a lot of things I've read have suggested that the weed needs to be heated to about 120-150C for a while to convert as much THCA as possible to THC. I've certainly noticed a big difference in budka with baked/un-baked weed. When the finished product is green it's not very strong, but if the weed is baked enough to give a brown product then it turns out very strong! The magic number seems to be about 1oz/pint - at that strength 10ml is very fun indeed! One guy on the web says his is so strong that 1ml is a hit... If I had loads of weed I'd experiment and work out how to do it best, but I hate to waste any with the drought we've been having...

The alcohol vapourizer idea sounds like a gin still - they pass the alcohol vapour over botanicals to make a delicate, subtle infusion of the botanical essenses in the product. An essential oil still works in a similar way but makes a much stronger product by using steam distillation. This: http://mojo.calyx.net/~olsen/HEMP/IHA/jiha4208.html suggests that steam distillation wouldn't exctract the stuff we want from weed.

From the research I've done, the key elements in making budka are:

- Very strong alcohol. Not just to make a stronger end product, but because ethanol is a better solvent the higher the concentration. Good budka requires at least 70%; the best I've made was with 95%.

- Baking the weed. With shitty commercial this is definately needed, but this: http://cannabisculture.com/articles/2794.html suggests that really well cured weed won't need it. Still, it can't hurt to bake it. That link says that 106C is the best temp, but you can get much higher without damaging the weed.

- Boiling the weed with the booze. Just puttintg weed in booze takes months for a good extraction. Putting weed and booze in a jam jar with foil over it and gently boiling it in a pan of water gets a good extraction in a few hours.

The main problem I found was that strong alcohol is very expensive in the UK. Other places have cheap strong booze (everclear!), but over here a litre of 95% is about sixty quid! Now I've got my still working nicely I'll be able to start experimenting again.

We should organize a big weed-booze party! ;-P

The Bastard Brewer

Bastard Brewer
Wow Jim W we really need to meet up and bang ours head together. Maybe organise a wine and booze tasting session for the next 420? :friends:
I need to look more in the THC baking chemistry. :chin:
I have heard that deep freezing weed is also good for strength and aroma.
Yes you are right its a gin still vapouriser but what I'm trying to do is ferment an alcohol THC and then distill it not get strong alcohol and stick bud in it which is an old recipe and also good for making hash oil. I have been looking into Cold distilling BUT as you say removing the menthenol is proving the BIG problem :confused: :badday:
It is imperative for the experiment to continue.
Look forward to trying your CycoCyder :yummy:

jim_w

One way to keep the methanol under control would be to use a different base for the mash. Methanol is produced (partly...) from fermenting fruits, especially fruits high in pectin (like apples!). I'll do a bit of research and see if I can find a low-methanol wash recipe...

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
hey, theres a good band called 'moonshine still' too :biglaugh:

awesome rig there, man...been curious about this too...want to try my hand at it one day :)

mtnjohn

Veteran
cool thread.....i always wanted to try making some liquor
made some wine a few times years ago...it was good but i'm not a huge wine drinker

prefrebly bourbon for me thank you...lol

mj

G

this is a very interesting thread, i'm enjoying following along...i don't brew or distill at home but i do make bho, which is why i'm posting...i think if u guys made bho and used that in ur processing it would be more effective than messing with the bud like that...the butane extracted resin does not need to be decarboxylated to be active, its all ready to go after the extraction...

i like to make brownies and instead of making nasty weird color cannabutter and a big mess i make a batch of bho or two, then after i get all the butane driven off i get the amount of canola oil i need for the recipe and put it in the dish holding the resin...i heat it very lightly and the canola dissolves all the bho right away...i find this to be quick, clean, no plant matter to worry about, much better tasting and wicked potent...friends eat my pot food and call off work the morning after when they are still fucked up, lol...

i think budshine would just be some of that moonshine with a few grams of bho dissolved in it! so the budka would just be some home vodka with an appropriate amount of bho dissolved in it...

jim how is that stuff? can u distill it more than once and will that make it better?

thanks guys and good luck with the projects

jim_w

Hi all!

Nug: I distill twice and get a very clean product. Irish whiskey is triple distilled, as are most vodkas. Carbon filtering (just use a water filter jug thing) improves the flavour a lot. To get really really clean stuff you need to spend a lot of money or be a very good metalworker. Or both...

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
take some corn let it sprout this burns of the carbs or sugar in the corn, then make your mash with that

G

Great thread. I have been looking at my lab style still and wondering what i can use it for at the moment. Probably need to adapt something bigger for putting the sugar in but shouldn't be hard.

kiwi quad

hi,i've got a super reflux still,each run i use 6kg sugar,water and yeast to get 3-3.5ltr at 93% then i water it down to 45% and filter through charcoal then i put it in glass containers with a few wood chips in each from chipped up old jim beam barrels for a couple of weeks or more,longer the better,then filter through 2 coffee filters and you have some awesome bourbon,i might be a bit bias but others also tell me its nicer than the bought stuff,i always thought it would be difficult but after makin it a few times its almost idiot proof and i would recommend everyone get one you wont look back,the only bummer for you thow is i think its illegal in the u.s,pity you dont live in the land of the free lol,i dont think they would be illegal to import tho cos it could be used to distill water too,i,m pretty p.c illiterate so i'll type in this address,i know shocking to not know how to add a link,www.yourshout.co.nz and remember your $$$ are worth twice as much ours so half price,hope i encouraged you to give it a try believe me its heaps easier than brewing beer,well im off to have a couple of b&b's (bourbons and bongs) & watch the rugby,cheers

Dkgrower

Veteran
hey all i have brewed Ale cannabis beer, very easy and taste full as well, but i doubt that very much of the cannabinols are going in the beer, this is where i think i will try some thing new inspired by this tread, the recipe is down below.

But i add cannabis (outdoor) to the boiling soup 2 times when boilng and one time when it is not , so one will get the full aroma spectra of the plant (almost) in the soup. Now the new thing, insted of adding fresh tap water to the soup i make a ice hash solution and use that insted and also use the weed from ice extraction in the recipe like below. by going this route one will get the trichomes and some of the flavors that are so volatile that they evaporate i the boling or hot water.

recipe;

I use 60g, 20g og 20g grams of weed (well cured)and the same amouth of hops (alpha 4.5%) to 15 liters of water

Heat the water to 65 degrees celcius add 250g of crystal malt and hold the temp around 65 fore a 1/2 houre. remove the rest of the malt with a sieve and then add 3kg of dry blond malt extract and stir untill it is dissovled. Add 60 gram of weed and hops bring it to boil and let it simmer fore 45 min.

Now add 15gram of irsh moss and 20g weed and hops and let boil 15 min more.

Turn off the heat half way throug and after the 15 min add the last 20g of weed and hops after let it cool fore 10-15 mins and then sieve the soup into a wine ballon. When one is pouring the brew then do from a high distans from the sieve so the brew get incontact with the air.

Add fresh cold clean tap water with high calcium content, if low then add some calcium, so there is 25 liter all togehter.

Measure the temperatur it have to be under 25 and above 18, Before you add yeast, Idealy contant temp around 20 is good.

When the temp is in the range then add your pre made starter culture (made of 1 tabel spoon sugar and 2 malt extract to some boiling water and let cool to around 30 degree then add 14 g dry ale yeas and let i sit fore 3 days)

Now let the ballon sit fore 2 weeks now add a 1/2 liter of water where there is 500g of dissoveld white sugar.

Stir it around so it is well mixed and bottel the brew, leave 1 cm so the bottels dont pop. let the bottels/containers sit at 20 to 24 degrees celcius fore another 2 weeks then move them to a more chill location with temp around 10 to 15 degrees celcius after 2 months the ale is cleared and perfekt.

D0nC0smic

Hey Bastard i know i suggested this on another thread, but that one was pretty dead so i don't know if you saw it. To me the best way to make REALLY good Budka, would be to do it the way that they make Gin, which is to have a chamber attached to the collumn of your still where you can but a mesh bag with the buds in them, this way the alchohol would pass throught he buds as a vapor, which should strip the THC from them and then when the alchohol recondenses in the collection area the THC should be dissolved within it.