What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

White Rhino x Pre-98 Bubba Kush FEM Cross - info and grow-along.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Well the plan was to veg for three to four weeks in 1gal. At least two of these aren’t even going to go two weeks, which is tomorrow. I suspected over the weekend they’d already rooted their pots. Removed them to take cuttings and figured I’d check rootballs. Man, #1 has been going so fast from the start it’s as though I just can’t give her enough root space. Guess I’ll be up-potting (and putting into flower) well before I planned on it. :biggrin:

Rootballs day 13:

picture.php

#1's rootball:

picture.php

Very nice start :)

Thanks Kal! Hopefully I can keep ‘em strong. :)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
very encouraging shmavis, good root vigor usually translates to good yields!

VG

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Day 13 from flip:

Day 13 from flip:

Grabbed a group shot tonight. And some closer looks at #2. Will get some better looks of #1 & #3 up before the weekend is out. #1 is a beast! But I am still drawn to #2. #3 is the runt of the three, very much like a smaller slower version of #1. #2 seems to be the least like the others. #1 was topped and up-potted to 3gal ten days before flip. Then up-potted into 5gal one week into flower. #2 was up-potted into 5gal one week before flip with room to add more soil - not topped. #3 went from 1gal to 3gal at flower - not topped.

Group shot:

picture.php

#2:

picture.php
picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lovely!
i agree number 2 looks rather good, beautiful leaves.

number 3 clearly has more sativa dominance, not just from the size and bigger internode stretch... you can also see from the very slight 'clawing' of the leaves that it is a bit more sensitive to N.

VG

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
VG,

Do you mean #1? #3 doesn’t really have clawing. She does show pronounced greenhouse burn though. The mix does seem a bit too hot for her liking. #1 has had clawing from the seedling stage. But this plant doesn’t want to stop growing. And while she claws, she doesn’t seem to burn. And oddly, not every leaflet on every fan claws. After going from 1gal to 3gal and then vegging for ten days and then another seven from flip, she had rooted - for the most part - the 3gal pot, in seventeen days. She’s on some kinda mission - lol.

#1 clawing and not clawing fan leaf:

picture.php

Next two are #1:

picture.php
picture.php

#3:

picture.php
picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi shmavis yes i meant number one!

only the very slightest clawing. Clawing is an odd thing, often it happens only at the top of a plant which makes me think it is partly temp related... but as you say it is showing off and on all over number one.
can't wait to see how these develop!

VG

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Beautiful girls Shmavis.

Thanks BBP!

Much :respect: for the work you’re doing with Pre-98!

hi shmavis yes i meant number one!

only the very slightest clawing. Clawing is an odd thing, often it happens only at the top of a plant which makes me think it is partly temp related... but as you say it is showing off and on all over number one.
can't wait to see how these develop!

VG

Cool. I was worried you were seeing something I missed on #3. The clawing is odd. Can’t say that I’ve had a plant react like this before. It could definitely be environmental or lighting or just a disliking for the soil mix. But it shows up even under T5. Below is the cutting I took of #1 and it’s under T5. The fan leaf I am showing has grown under the T5, it was not present when the cutting was taken, yet it still claws. No clawing on the cuts of #2 & #3 under same conditions.

So yeah, I’m also really interested to see what comes of these. And while I like the look of #2 the most, I am most curious to see what #1 does. She's been growing like she's on steroids since she popped. :)

picture.php

I'll wait a good three or four weeks before updating again. Things should be interesting by then. :dance013:

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Update day 28:

Update day 28:

Things are progressing nicely. #1 hardly fits in frame lol. #3 is first to really start frosting up. #2 is a RHINO! I don't necessarily mean leans to WR, but just that she has a look - one that's fitting of such a name. :biggrin: And #3 in addition to being glittery has a real nice funk going on!

#1:

picture.php

#2:

picture.php

#3:

picture.php

Happy Sunday!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow such a difference in size between no1 and the other two.

all looking great though. let the frosting commence :D

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
wow such a difference in size between no1 and the other two.

all looking great though. let the frosting commence :D

Thanks, VG!

It is crazy! I had no choice but to top her. In the first pic I shared of them just above ground, she is the tallest - lol. I'm guessing she's going to take a bit longer to finish than the other two. She isn't showing the same level of frost, probably because she seems to still be setting flowers, but the frost looks to be right around the corner.

Heading over to Slab's thread to reread. I remember him also having a tall stretching sativa type...if I remember correctly it ended up being his favorite.

I'll get some closer frost-level pics of numbers 1 & 2 up soon (next couple days) but for now here's some of #3. The slowest of the three. But really starting to draw my attention. :biggrin:

#3 day 31:

picture.php
picture.php

Slab

Looking fantastic Shmavis!!
Are you getting a sweet bubblegum smell at this early stage if you give one of the resinous bud leaves a little rub? Mine have that but the smell goes through a few changes as the buds develop.
I did have a crazy stretchy pheno. It would stretch for 3 weeks from 12/12 and be a bit floppy at first but the branches firmed up once the buds had set and began fattening up. It was also the biggest yielder of the 3 plants that i had then.

I am at 21 days flower with the two new plants from seed that i have going now. Neither is stretchy and both have quite stout branching and look very promising. I will get pics up in my thread sometime soon. That will make an entire 6 pack looked through.
I did set a third seed off alongside the two new plants i have going now but it was DOA and had a hard white jelly kind of growing tip and quickly died. I have made a lot of seeds myself so i know its not uncommon to find the odd dud seed in a batch.

I do have a few more packs to search through over time but not counting the two new plants that i have flowering now i choose so far to keep the middle size pheno from the first 3 plants that i documented in my thread. I love this one for going to see bands, its a little dreamy but still very functional in a social situation. Goes great with a few glasses of ale.

One of the main findings so far is how vigourous these plants are. Its a beauty VG.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Thanks Slab!

#2 has a very sweet bubblegum smell to her (quite surprised by it). The other two have nothing sweet smelling about them. #3 has a earthy/hashy kind of smell with a funk on the back end - I would say leaning more toward Bubba, but might have some cheese working in the background. #1 is odd smelling. Metallic comes to mind, so maybe more WR leaning? #2 smells fabulous! And I love the way she looks and grows, so I’m really hoping she smokes nicely - something tells me she will. But I suspect it will be hard to pick. My goal is to hang on to the most potent of the three. Don’t care about yield, smell, taste, difficulty, etc., Just the most potent. Something to either make seeds with or try to self. Then let her go.

Really appreciate the insights! Was the bubblegum smell present on any of the first three of yours, or just the two now? Yeah the occasional dud seed is to be expected. Looking forward to your updates!

I completely agree about the great vigor!

Slab

Yes a couple had the bubblegum smell during early flower but it develops beyond that by mid flower and none of the plants finish up with any bubblegum type smell.
I have found the plants peform much better second time around, i guess that is because they are more sexually mature.
Its worth doing a second run on any that catch your eye before choosing something you might like to make seeds with.
Very much looking forward to seeing your plants develop and your thoughts on the finished product.
All the best to you.

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Yes a couple had the bubblegum smell during early flower but it develops beyond that by mid flower and none of the plants finish up with any bubblegum type smell.
I have found the plants peform much better second time around, i guess that is because they are more sexually mature.
Its worth doing a second run on any that catch your eye before choosing something you might like to make seeds with.
Very much looking forward to seeing your plants develop and your thoughts on the finished product.
All the best to you.

Thanks again Slab for the insights, advice, and well wishes!

Excellent suggestion about a second run, but unfortunately time and space doesn’t really allow for it. And I may be scrapping my earlier intent of potency only and go with #2 for my first attempt at selfing a plant. She had my eye early on and without question has responded best to environmental conditions, timing and methods. Strong self-supporting branching (as of now) and still has the bubblegum smell. I love golfball nugs, and she has ‘em. :biggrin: Looks as though she will yield well for only 420w of light.

#s 1 & 3 do not have the same strong branching and needed support. They haven’t faired as favorably but that’s more about grower error than genetics. I will explain when I grab some pics of each and get them up within the next couple days. For now here’s some of #2.

#2 day 54:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Great weekend to all!

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
#1 as mentioned could hardly stop growing. Fast to outgrow every container. I bought a 7g smart pot to up-pot her into to finish flowering. I didn’t care for how shallow it was when I got it. So I put her in a 5g HD bucket (more depth) to finish. She potted it in no time - even though transplanted one week into flower.

A few days ago pushing stakes in to support branches I realized just how root-bound she is. Can’t even push my finger past a quarter inch without serious resistance. She ate up what was available and consumed her fans leaves. That’s why she’s bare, I stripped them as they were clearly done. Normally I would’ve supplemented her feedings to make up for what she’d eaten up in the soil but since it’s only my second run without HID I continued to feed only water, not wanting to introduce too many variables (to gauge the light). Still has a “metallic” smell and looks a ways away from finishing.

#3 was the slowest of the three but certainly not lacking in vigor. I really felt she should’ve been finished in 5g, but went with 3g just to test. She too ate up her food and could’ve used some help. I’ll get some pics of her up tomorrow or the next day. She’s still the frostiest and funkier smelling of the three.

#1 day 56:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

It's experiences like this that really starts to change my thoughts on feminized seeds — thanks for some great plants, VG!

Latest posts

Latest posts