You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Soil > Fiddynut's indoor jungle

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Fiddynut's indoor jungle Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2017, 08:31 PM #1
Fiddynut

Fiddynut is a jewel in the roughFiddynut is a jewel in the roughFiddynut is a jewel in the roughFiddynut is a jewel in the roughFiddynut is a jewel in the roughFiddynut is a jewel in the roughFiddynut is a jewel in the rough
Fiddynut's indoor jungle

Greetings icmag users, old and new friends and lurkers. This will be my new grow thread. I will be starting my fourth grow soon and will try to keep both of my tents packed. I'm looking for keepers and some nice variety of buds to smoke. I have a few packs of seeds now and will be adding to the genetic pool as much as I can. Right now I have some Bodhi seeds lemon wookie(lemon diesel x wookie15), granola funk (GSC forum x wookie15), and his chem91 jb x snow lotus. I also have a pack of tony greens gorilla bubble BX1F1. I have a few other freebie and tester packs that I got for free but haven't researched the breeders or strains yet.

As some of you know I've been growing for a few months now and have had some mixed results. My first grow went really well and I ended up with about 1/2 gram per watt from my 600w HPS light in my flower tent. Other than a few seeds and some under fed plants it went better than I expected it would. My second grow was going really well but ended a little early due to my not catching a hermie and it pollinating my girls. They were picked a little early so that I could move some autos into that tent. They weren't going to finish well anyway due to the plants putting energy into seed production. My third grow is at the 1/2 way point and it's my first attempt at auto-flowering plants.

As of now my equipment consists of 2 tents, 2 lights,a few fans and all the normal stuff. My flower tent is an oversized 3'x3' and my veg tent is an oversized 2'x4'. I have a 600w HID light in the flower tent and a 4' four bulbs t5 in the veg tent. The flower tent has a 4" canfan and carbon filter for air exchange and a 6" canfan to cool the light. The veg tent has a 4" inline duct fan for air exchange and I have box fans and smaller clip on fans in both tents. I've been using fox farm soil, happy frog to pop seeds and a blend of happy frog and ocean forest plus perlite when I pot up. I've kept it pretty simple with nutes using grow big, tiger bloom and kelp me kelp you. I have a few other nutes to incorporate into the mix if need be but I get a bit overwhelmed with too many choices and I'm looking for a simple yet effective nutrient schedule.

My plan is to keep learning about this wonderful plant and to become an skilled and experienced grower. I have learned a lot from the icmag forums over the last few months and couple grows. I want to continue to learn and grow. Keeping my plants happy and healthy is my goal and I know if I do that they'll reward me with nice ganja. On my second grow I was successful at taking cuttings and getting them to root. I want to continue to do this with future plants until I get some real winners that I can grow from clone. I may need a little more space once I have some mothers and will add a smaller tent when this becomes a reality.

So the journey begins again. Tonight I'll be prepping some soil and soaking some seeds. After a 12 hour soak I'll get them in some soil and hope for good things. My plan is to get 8 planted and keep them happy until the males show themselves. Once I boot the males I'll take the 4 best lady's and take cuttings from the tops to preserve in case they are winners. Then I'll transplant to final pots which are like 5-7 gallon and put into flower tent. I'm hoping to do a few runs like this and then have some great keepers to grow from clone. When growing from clone I should be able to top early and often and get some better yields. I'll remain flexible since plans have a way of changing. I've got a lot to learn and can only do that by getting experience and keeping the tents full and the lights on.

Thanks for stoping by to check out this grow...Fiddy.
Fiddynut is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:34 AM #2
pop_rocks

pop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud of
tag me in fiddy!
/does wild dance and runs back and forth

i like the idea of chronicling all the grows in one spot and cant wait for the action to start!
we have all had so much fun in the past threads im sure this one will follow suit

looking fore ward to seeing the "usual suspects" posts as well as some fresh new voices!
there will be plenty to learn and fun to be had by all, so lets get this party started!
im packin' the first round!

/walks in circles several times and flops down on the floor
pop_rocks is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:25 AM #3
Fiddynut

Fiddynut is a jewel in the roughFiddynut is a jewel in the roughFiddynut is a jewel in the roughFiddynut is a jewel in the roughFiddynut is a jewel in the roughFiddynut is a jewel in the roughFiddynut is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop_rocks View Post
tag me in fiddy!
/does wild dance and runs back and forth

i like the idea of chronicling all the grows in one spot and cant wait for the action to start!
we have all had so much fun in the past threads im sure this one will follow suit

looking fore ward to seeing the "usual suspects" posts as well as some fresh new voices!
there will be plenty to learn and fun to be had by all, so lets get this party started!
im packin' the first round!

/walks in circles several times and flops down on the floor
Good evening pop_rocks.
Congrats on being the first to tag in and let's hope it's a good show. I know that dance. It looks like the one Rufus does at meal time and when it's time to go for a walk. Great to see you here and can't wait for the fun to continue.
I realized that if I start a new thread for every grow I'd be starting 10 or more a year and it seems better to just settle into one long progressive grow thread. We can mix it up with some food talk and other topics too. I know this is all about growing but sometimes it's nice to talk about a game or going for a great ride. I'm looking forward to hearing from friends from the other thread as well and welcome any new friends as well. The more the better. Party starts soon and I've already got an update to do before making some pork tacos with the little bit of pork bbq I have left from Sunday. Great to have you tagged in and can't wait for these beans to pop...Fiddy.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:39 AM #4
Fiddynut

Update

Greetings friends.
The lemon wookiee beans are soaking and they will go into the soil tomorrow morning. I've got some happy frog in 4" pots that I sprinkled with mosquito beater (BT) and gave a good soaking. I've had fungus gnats from the soil before but since using the BT I never see more than one right after using new soil and never see any after that. I use BT every time I transplant or top up with new soil and it seems to keep them to an absolute minimum. Let's hope they keep working.

So the soil is ready and the seeds are getting a quick soak. Not much to do now but have a beer and some tacos. Thanks for stopping by...Fiddy.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:26 AM #5
Sunny FL Indica

Sunny FL Indica will become famous soon enough
My doge loves to do the dance at dinner time (and breakfast) too.

Actually, my doge dances any chance she can get.

Following along to see results - just wondering if you think going with 4 x 7 gallon is better than 5 x 5 gallons. Thinking you may get better results if you get 5 good lil girls at 5 gallon pots than 4 girls at 7 gallon pots.

thanks
Sunny FL Indica is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2017, 03:40 AM #6
pop_rocks

pop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud ofpop_rocks has much to be proud of
welcome, sunnyFlI!
if i understand the question you are asking, would get a better yield from several smaller plants or fewer but larger plants?
it really depends on a lot of things
let hear more about your set up?

like how much light are you running and how much space do you have to grow?
how long are you planing on vegging for?

i would go with several smaller plants myself, but maybe your situation is different so that might not be the best answer for you

welcome aboard,man!

Old 01-19-2017, 04:16 AM #7
Sunny FL Indica

Sunny FL Indica will become famous soon enough
Quote:
welcome, sunnyFlI!
if i understand the question you are asking, would get a better yield from several smaller plants or fewer but larger plants?

i would go with several smaller plants myself, but maybe your situation is different so that might not be the best answer for you

welcome aboard,man!
Right now, I'm restricted to guerrilla growing, being based in, of all places, Sunny FL (go figure ). I take clones here and there (or use seeds when blessed with them), set single plants deep in the woods - or sometimes in plain sight - and let mother nature do her work. My wife is very, very anti-mj. Me, well, it helps me sleep, and is significantly better than the 6x15mg Oxy's and a 100microgram fentanyl patch I was on for years for pain control due to an accident I was in where I broke 8 bones, shattered my shoulder and completely blew out my jaw (my jaw is 100% titanium - they made it just for me. Doctors did an amazing job, and other than a small scar that I hide by a beard, you can't tell my chin is 100% metal). I digress.

Anyway, at least in my case, I've found that I have better production from more plants, but that's growing my situation.

When FL finally allows personal grows (I'm thinking 4 more years), from all the research I've done, I don't think there's much of a difference production wise between 5 gallon buckets and 7 gallon buckets - so my thought is you would get more with 5 baby mommas than with 4, as base wise, they would probably take up about the same space.

The other thought i had is that if you take 5 into production, rather than 4, you have an extra 20% chance of finding "the one" - so rather than only keeping the top 4 looking when you're done with veg, maybe keep the top 5 and go with 5 gallon buckets. That #5, while a runt at veg, could just be The ONE we all want.

Just think of it this way, if Jose only kept GG#1, GG#2 and GG#3, we'd never have GG#4 - which is probably close to the most elite strain out there (nothing against cookies, cotton candy(mmmm) or any other strain). Having that one extra momma gives you an extra 20% chance. Just a thought.

Either way, cheers !!!!!!

Looking forward to watching the results.
Sunny FL Indica is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:07 PM #8
Fiddynut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny FL Indica View Post
My doge loves to do the dance at dinner time (and breakfast) too.

Actually, my doge dances any chance she can get.

Following along to see results - just wondering if you think going with 4 x 7 gallon is better than 5 x 5 gallons. Thinking you may get better results if you get 5 good lil girls at 5 gallon pots than 4 girls at 7 gallon pots.

thanks
Welcome Sunny.
Nice to have a new friend here on icmag. We are dog lovers here and I'm glad you have a happy dog. I think dogs are one of the best parts of life and we can learn much from them. They are so spontaneous and live in the moment, never holding grudges or being dragged down by ego.

I say 5-7 gallon pots because I'm not sure exactly how much they hold. I know a 5 gal bucket fits inside them and they are slightly smaller around at the bottom than the bucket but a couple inches bigger at the top. I'm going to restock on pots as soon as the garden stores put out the spring gardening supplies. As crazy as it may sound it's hard to find gardening supplies up north where the ground is frozen all winter the stores just sell Holliday decorations and crap and don't have much for pots or supplies until early spring when people start thinking about gardening again.
I do however see what you are getting to about growing out all the girls. I think I could fit 5 plants in the tent if I have 5 lady's and you are right I shouldn't waste any. Like you said the only way to know which are the best is to grow them all out. I'm working with non fem seeds for only the second time and still developing a strategy for planting enough so that if I get 50% males I still have enough females to fill the tent. But if I get lucky and get like 6 girls and only 2 boys it will be tight. I was thinking that I'd take cuttings from all the girls and if there were one to two more than I had room for in the flower tent I'd just grow them from clone on the next run and supplement with a couple more from seed. Not sure how it's all going to work out but learning how to manage space is going to be interesting. I've learned a lot from reading threads here on icmag but have lots more to learn on this journey.

I've enjoyed going to florida a number of times. My grandparents use to have a place near Sarasota and I use to go ever spring as a kid. Always nice to get out of the frozen Midwest and feel the sun for a few days. A couple years ago I took a road trip to Sanibel island for a few days. I had a great time and really enjoined the chill environment on the northren tip of the island. My next tropical vacation will be to the keys. I'm not sure when but I'd love to cruse around key west on a scooter or one of my bikes. Sorry to hear about your injuries. I've been in a couple bad motorcycle accidents and have a lot of titanium in my ankle. It sucks to be all busted up and the doctors just want to collect their fees and keep giving out the narcotics. Many years ago the narcotic pain meds helped lead me down the path to heroin and that path sucks. Ganja was the way out of that shit for me. A puff after work and my ankle doesn't feel as bad anymore. Helps me relax and focus. But now I'm rambling.

I think your on the right track as far as container size not being the limiting factor when the pots are at least 5 gallon and there is only so much light to go around. With only 600w and keeping plant sizes comfortably smaller I think it makes sense to grow as many as possible and that gives me more variety and possible winners to pick from. I don't need a big yield and want to move through a few packs of seeds sooner rather than later.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and some of your background....Fiddy.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:21 PM #9
Fiddynut

Quote:
welcome, sunnyFlI!

welcome aboard,man!
Good morning pop_rocks.
I'm thinking yield will be similar weather 2-3 bigger or 4-5 smaller plants because there is only so much light. As long as I can keep a nice canopy they should be close. But more variety and chances to find keepers with more plants so this is something to think about. The t5 in the veg tent can only support so many plants and having males in there I think 8 is a good number for that. I want to keep the young plants in big enough pots to keep them happy and not have a root bound issue again. I'm reading that the happier they are the quicker the males will show. Starting with 8 doesn't mean I'll end up with 4 lady's so there will always be some need to be flexible. This is a new part of growing for me and I'm going to have to learn how to manage space. I can already see another veg/clone/mother tent and light in my future.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:02 AM #10
pop_rocks

welcome brother!
i spent some good years on the gulf side of fla!

sucks about the weed situation but i think this will one day change and we will all be able to grow our own without fear
as far as the wife goes, thats tough,man
/no matter what the law says there will always be those who associate smoking a little ganja with being unproductive loser

dude that is crazy about your custom jaw bone!
like a real life jaws from moonraker!
glad you are doing better and hope nothing but the best for you
like fiddy said, thanks for sharing your story

i have some great memories from the gorilla grows days here in cali
trapsing through brush at 4a hauling everything i needed by hand
but the best feeling was at the end of it all leaving the canyons with backpacks stuffed wiht fresh weed

fiddy hit it on the head when he said, "...there is only so much light" and depending on the wattage of your bulb you are only goign to get so much penetration into the canopy
with smaller plants you can pack more in and get smaller but fuller plants
i tend to only keep the upper half to 2/3 of my plants, the rest goes into the hash pile or into mrs chickys belly!
/she loves edibles! :P

i like to veg a little longer than a cash cropper because i like large nuggets but i trim off the lower branches because they arent goign to produce the tops im looking for (lolipopped is the way i roll)
plus that lower growth is often the place where problems like mold, pests take hold

if you are on a pheno hunt then you are right that you cant substitute sheer numbers, but that is often easily accomplished by taking cuts and flowering many smaller plants
once you identify your keepers, grow those ones larger

outdoors i guess its not as big a deal as the sun will support monster palnts
but lets also consider stealth
its harder to spot smaller plants

i guess it will coem down to your expectations and style of growing as well as the set up you are working wiht

great question btw, looking fore ward to hear what other think!