What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2019 Cherry Bomb

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WOW... sure sound like the 'chemdog' story....

Last time I heard it, chemdog came from a few bagseeds in a Z gifted to someone at a Grateful Dead concert, but who knows, maybe someone liked the Cherry Bomb story better and hijacked it? We could go on all day about stories that changed over the years.

how did you know I was going to ask exactly that?
hehe, I didn't grayeyes! Just dumb luck...seem to get a lot of that hanging around with Maryjane.

Hey grayeyes, can you post pics back here when you get a chance?

WelderDan

Veteran
Ooh, this reminds me I still have some seeds and crosses to pop. Last time I ran it I got an awesome pheno with pink pistils. Still kicking myself for not cloning that one

grayeyes

Since you are local you know we haven't had much in the way of sunshine lately. But it looks like it is going to shine today. I will try to get some pictures.

Gotta mention, a friend and I were discussing strain stability and CB. You did a phenomenal job at making this so stable. If only other breeders saw this they would be even more in awe.

grayeyes

Here they are:

After spending almost an hour trying to figure out how to do this here are instructions. Take pic,put in a photo album on your computer. Transfer your pictures to an album here on IC. Start your post. When you want to post the picture click on the "my photos' button next to where you are posting.

Sure wish someone had posted this.

Now your turn Mr. Greengenes. Crappy cellphone pictures.

Last edited:

Mr. Greengenes

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yo WelderDan! Great to see you again, glad you still have some CB genetics, you're the man!

You did a phenomenal job at making this so stable.

grayeyes, those are some mighty nice words to hear, thanks SO much!

for some reason I can't view your pix? I signed on to google, and tried removing the S from https, but still can't see 'em. Maybe I'm just tech challenged!

grayeyes

I don't know what is happening.
when I click on it I see the picture. I don't understand why only the url address appears.

Can someone clue us in?

ngakpa

Veteran
what's this thread doing in the landrace section though, seriously?

even if this is an heirloom strain from Hawaii, it's not a landrace:

ie., a region-specific strain from a traditional region of cultivation that's cultivated using traditional methods

Nexus7

what's this thread doing in the landrace section though, seriously?

even if this is an heirloom strain from Hawaii, it's not a landrace:

ie., a region-specific strain from a traditional region of cultivation that's cultivated using traditional methods

Come on Ngakpa, chill out. Sure it's no landrace but I feel when most people here talk about landraces they really mean heirloom.

It seems people in the landrace forum are actually looking for un-polluted heirlooms from the early 70's rather than true landraces.

Based on your above definition is the Kerala you stock still a "landrace" despite being reproduced away from it's traditional region?

Maybe chat to the mods if it bothers you that much and request an heirloom sub-forum?

Peace,

N7

ngakpa

Veteran
Based on your above definition is the Kerala you stock still a "landrace" despite being reproduced away from it's traditional region?

yes

because the Kerala was reproduced by open pollination

in Kerala, the strongest selection you would traditionally get is keeping seeds from standout females

as for how incredibly 'bothered' I am, lol - I'm always baffled when people on forums assume they know how I or anyone else feel about something

in and of itself, I couldn't give a flying toss whether this thread stays open in this forum

why it is a problem, however, is that it's indicative of how low the general level of understanding even among enthusiasts and supposed experts is of what a landrace even is

on which point, that definition above isn't 'mine' - it's my paraphrase of the definition of a landrace

skubee

picture.php

Cherry bomb from 2017. Had a defficiency onset of flower but pulled through. Sugar leaves always pointed down through all of flowering. Really dense. Was only one i had though. Would grow again. Will grow again. Thanks Mr Greengenes n Gas.

tcherno

Superb variety, unfortunately for me I probably wouldn't have the opportunity to try it.

extract from the swami site concerning shipping

Sorry, no overseas orders can be accepted due to the EXTREME sucking involved with overseas companies .

:peacock:

grayeyes

Angus,

You have now complained three times about where I started this thread.

Do you realize what a whiner you are showing yourself?

You are better than this.

Mr. Greengenes

ICMag Donor
Veteran
the Kerala was reproduced by open pollination

IIRC, I began open pollinating CB at around F8. At that time, it was more like rogue-ing about 20%, but by F10-12 it was almost 'open'. Also, like to point out that when I began talking about it on OG in the early 2000's, the term open pollination was rarely (if ever) heard on a cannabis forum.

skubee, thanks so much for the very kind words and that is a slamming picture! I hope you don't mind, I'm sure Mrs. Greengenes is going to steal that for IG!

tcherno, I'll inquire around maybe I can find someone over the pond there who has CB. I gave Verdant Green some, but I'm not sure if he plans to run and make seeds. You might try hitting him up.

ngakpa

Veteran
Angus,

You have now complained three times about where I started this thread.

Do you realize what a whiner you are showing yourself?

You are better than this.

what I'm interested to do is draw people's attention to what a landrace actually is

a landrace forum seems like the right place to do that

Cherry Bomb isn't a landrace, because it's been maintained through selective methods that aren't used in traditional Afghan hash farming

hope that's clear

thanks

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
What is called a landrace doesn't depend on traditional Afghan hash farming and what kind of standards they use in their farming methods.

Cherrybomb to me its more what we call a heirloom, although according to some that the lineage of Maui Wowie is Southern Mexican x Afghan and then backcrossed to the Mexican cultivar, so what is used in the beginning are two landrace cultivars.

ngakpa

Veteran
What is called a landrace doesn't depend on traditional Afghan hash farming and what kind of standards they use in their farming methods.

Cherrybomb to me its more what we call a heirloom, although according to some that the lineage of Maui Wowie is Southern Mexican x Afghan and then backcrossed to the Mexican cultivar, so what is used in the beginning are two landrace cultivars.

in the context of cannabis, traditional cultivation methods absolutely are a crucial point in the definition of what's a real landrace

also, your point about Cherry Bomb possibly being a hybrid is another key concern:

the provenance of these plants is very often either unknown or contested, and that applies to many alleged pure Afghans like Ortega etc.

funkyhorse

Merriam Webster has a very interesting definition of landrace:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Landrace

I would think Kerala is only landrace at its place of origin but in Northern England it would become a heirloom. Environment and photoperiods are different.

Open pollination not in its natural environment is not landrace anymore and becomes adapted to a new recreated artificial environment. Therefore a landrace becomes heirloom

If I bring a northern hemisphere genetic to the southern hemisphere, it certainly is not landrace anymore, it will have to adapt not only to a new environment but also to a different sun:
https://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/ozone_record.html

I would suggest to change the name of the forum and make it Landraces and Heirlooms, this is how everybody will be happy

Mr Greengenes: it would be nice if there would be a world distributor of your genetics, so people outside of USA could have a chance to try your Cherry Bomb.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
in the context of cannabis, traditional cultivation methods absolutely are a crucial point in the definition of what's a real landrace

also, your point about Cherry Bomb possibly being a hybrid is another key concern:

the provenance of these plants is very often either unknown or contested, and that applies to many alleged pure Afghans like Ortega etc.

Here in Europe we have landraces too, fully adapted to the environment.Hungary is a good example, but what funkyhorse above wrote, when you cultivate those cultivars in the UK or in Spain, its not a landrace anymore, because the environment is different.To preserve a landrace, you'll need at least an acre to preserve all the traits.

Latest posts

Latest posts