What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big Perm's

I received the (4) 84x's on May 1st (a day early). I put them in my Sky Lotus tent and am going to run them through harvest which is in roughly 3 weeks.
Sky Lotus (Bodhi)
(4) HGL 84x
Temp: 84f
RH: 55%
12/12 Light Cycle
18" above canopy
Coco/Perlite/Hydroton/Vermiculite mix
Dyna-Gro
pH: 6.2

Day 46
When bumping up my K I forgot to back down everything else and cooked some leaves, huge bummer. Also, Loving these 84x's! It's a lot quieter in the whole room without light ventilation, cooler too.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=80311&pictureid=1947101View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=80311&pictureid=1947105View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=80311&pictureid=1947103View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=80311&pictureid=1947106View Image

Maybe I should come up with a new promo lol. Buy lights at a discount and send me 1/4 ounce from every harvest in perpetuity :biggrin:

OneHitDone

What distance do you have the 84X's at?
Will be interesting to see if your plants show intensity issues like the other comparisons going on.

Big Perm

Is this going to be a side by side grow or just seeing what each type of led can do individually?
What distance do you have the 84X's at?
Will be interesting to see if your plants show intensity issues like the other comparisons going on.
This is just my pic and vid journal. I am doing some comparison grows, but will make different threads for them.
I have the 84x's 18" above the canopy. The others are having intensity issues? Like light bleach?

OneHitDone

This is just my pic and vid journal. I am doing some comparison grows, but will make different threads for them.
I have the 84x's 18" above the canopy. The others are having intensity issues? Like light bleach?

At the original recommended distance of 12" for veg, plants were not liking it.

At the original recommended distance of 12" for veg, plants were not liking it.

You mean Hybrid wasn't watering the plants fast enough to keep up with the extra growth rate? His plants had zero light stress (which he claimed at 18"). There was no bleaching or light burn on his leaves, nor was the DLI anywhere near high enough to cause any issues. Instead he had drooping, dry leaves that were curling on the edges - a clear sign of underwatering. He later commented in the grow that "Plants are drinking too fast for me & i notice fan leaves aren't as big as usual."

So our plants are growing at a rate that outpaces his feeding schedule (which I had commented on days prior to his admission). The fan leaves are smaller which shows that our plants are more efficient. They are putting less energy into growing larger fan leaves (Solar cells) and instead putting that energy into growth, because the spectrum they are getting is being converted a lot more efficiently by the leaves.

Example - take a 4' x 2' solar panel at 15% efficiency. It will produce the same amount of electricity as a 2' x 2' solar panel at 30% efficiency. You don't need as big of a solar panel to collect the same amount of light, when the solar panel is operating at a much higher efficiency. The same is true for leaves.

Last edited:

OneHitDone

You mean Hybrid wasn't watering the plants fast enough to keep up with the extra growth rate? His plants had zero light stress (which he claimed at 18"). There was no bleaching or light burn on his leaves, nor was the DLI anywhere near high enough to cause any issues. Instead he had drooping, dry leaves that were curling on the edges - a clear sign of underwatering. He later commented in the grow that "Plants are drinking too fast for me & i notice fan leaves aren't as big as usual."

So our plants are growing at a rate that outpaces his feeding schedule (which I had commented on days prior to his admission). The fan leaves are smaller which shows that our plants are more efficient. They are putting less energy into growing larger fan leaves (Solar cells) and instead putting that energy into growth, because the spectrum they are getting is being converted a lot more efficiently by the leaves.

Example - take a 4' x 2' solar panel at 15% efficiency. It will produce the same amount of electricity as a 2' x 2' solar panel at 30% efficiency. You don't need as big of a solar panel to collect the same amount of light, when the solar panel is operating at a much higher efficiency. The same is true for leaves.

Then please riddle me this: why do sun grown cannabis plants develop leaves big as your head??

Then please riddle me this: why do sun grown cannabis plants develop leaves big as your head??

Lol, because it's "full spectrum white light" where plants are only receiving a small portion of the energy from it and filter or reflect the rest. The sun is not a grow light. It's a star. When low light quality is a factor, plants grow larger leaves to accommodate. The sun has low light quality for plants, but ample intensity (2000 umol/m2/sec at sea level). I know many may view this as controversial, but from a scientific standpoint it is what it is. Plants wouldn't have evolved to absorb primarily red and blue if full spectrum white was made for them. Just because a light (the sun) can grow plants, does not mean it's the most efficient spectrum for doing so. It just means "yep, plants can grow under it". My goal was never to re-create the sun, it was to make a spectrum that is far more efficient than sunlight. A spectrum designed around what plants actually use and how they use it.

Big Perm

How the hell do those RIU noobs become Well-Known Members with 1,492 posts and 4637 Likes. You look. They fuckin joined yesterday. I'll been talking to this guy because at a glance I thought he might know something, only to find out he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, and is now talking about scrogging a sog, or some shit.