What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Afghan hash making film from 1970

H

HaHaHashish

"Dry sifting ,hand pressing and purifying hashish in Afganistan 1970"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ZY9cjVjmM

[YOUTUBEIF]H6ZY9cjVjmM[/YOUTUBEIF]

This historical film is must see for any dry sifter.
It shows how Afghans made their purest hash. Notice how the mesh screen is always tilted at a 45 degrees and the same resin is re-sifted 3 or 4 times while only using finger taps on the screen. The tilting alters the pore size of the mesh and may encourage resin heads to "roll" down and through the mesh more efficiently. I must try that 45 degree tilted screen technique next time I do some dry sifting.

The last part part shows the resin inside a fine cloth bag that is jiggled up and down so the smaller bits of contaminant will pass through the fine cloth leaving a purer resin inside. They then heat and knead the hash (though, perhaps this is done after the loose resin has been aged?). Check out R.C. Clarke's book "Hashish!"..it's the bible of all things hashish, a must read for all of us who love making hash or just love hashish.

Bizarrely, the last 4 or 5 minutes of the film shows, who I guess are, Peruvian men chewing coca leaves, each one of them has a broken nose.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HaHaHashish

Here's a bump for this link....definitely see the film for a little historical view of traditional Afghan harvesting, drying, processing and smoking.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Its a shame that there is no commentary on that vid and that the resolution isn't a bit better.....but it is cool as a historical reference.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day HHH

Notice the dust flying off the plants when they cut them down ?
That would be part of the art . Separating the resin from the dirt .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

H

HaHaHashish

It might of been a really dry harvest season or during a multi year drought or it's just that dry there every year? The fine dust was separated from the resin in the last step with the up and down ball of resin in a fine cloth (so the dust and other broken up plant matter passes through the fine holes in the cloth and the resin remains) ...the longer the resin is jiggled up and down, the purer the resin will be)

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G `day HHH

Afghanistan is a desert .
The cold climate in winter may help harden the resin and make it less sticky . Other wise I don`t understand how the dust can be separated from the resin . Shake and sift all you like if its stuck to the trich it has to be removed . Shaking in the silk bag removes the dust from the trich ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've also read that reference about traditional sieving.

Cleaning heads over a 25u screen will net a small pile of waste, just as there is a quantity of fine silt in the bucket post bubble run.

M

moose eater

There used to be a fellow here on IC years ago (MRIKO) who was (I think) originally from some place near the general area where the Hindu Kush run through several countries.

We discussed the Pakistani process, and he indicated they buried their trichs/glands in the ground, rolled up inside 'finished' (tanned) goat skins, for six months or more, in an aging/curing process.

I tried to locate him here for other reasons related to finding another older member (Naga_Sadu), several years ago, and couldn't.
--------------------------------------
I use a custom-made automated tumbler wheel inside an epoxy-enamel-sprayed wooden box, with a 25 rpm gear-reduction-drive 115 volt AC motor on a light switch, with what we refer to here as #100 (stainless steel) screen (in a sq. inch, 100 'holes' in the weave in each direction, length and width, within that sq. inch). It's my understanding that a # 120 screen would slightly reduce product, but increase quality.

No pressure is applied to the sieving, other than gravity from matter tumbling inside the wheel. And only higher-end trim is tumbled, springy dry, no pulverizing, and no buds.

Returns have varied from 5% to over 13% of weight of veg matter.

If oily enough, hand-pressing without heating is done. If standard process is used, then heating the steel mold to 170 f., then taking custom-sized-and-taped unscented oven roasting bags with glands, placed in the mold, and placed in a press driven by an 8-ton or 2-ton jack (depending on which one is where at that time).

Nice treats.

Edit: I give the tumbler wheel a 99% lab-grade isopropyl alc. bath, 2-3 times before each use, employing a soft-bristled tooth brush each time to -gently- brush the inside of the wheel with each bathing in the iso.

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G `day ME

Mriko was based in France from what I remember .
Last I saw him post he was saying his health was failing him .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

M

moose eater

G `day ME

Mriko was based in France from what I remember .
Last I saw him post he was saying his health was failing him .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

I had thought MRIKO's roots went back to Central Asia.

He was a friend here, or at least friend of friends, and is missed. Sorry to learn of his health issues. I hope he's better. We all travel that circle path; darkness to light and back to darkness.

4 years ago, I'd have been elated to communicate with Naga_Sadu about neurosurgeons in India..'Nother story.

Sorry for the hijack.:)

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Veteran
I thought he was from UK?

G `day M10

Pretty sure I saw a picture of a large Indica in a garden in France .
I assumed it was Mriko`s house garden .

I don`t think English was his 1st language ...

A bit of trivia . The back ground here at IC with the seedlings is a Mriko pic that`s been photo shopped .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

F

Fermented

If you spot any other good hash making vids on YT, please post a link.

White Beard

Utterly fascinating vid!

Despite the poor image quality (the original focus, not the resolution), I learned a lot from watching it.

Easy7

Veteran
The soviets really hurt the brotherhood of love. I'm guessing they took our lsd silo lab. Nobody asks the right questions anymore. I'm just starting to!

Afghan got a lot to learn about bubble hash and school on the web. Enjoy seeing these new oil strains being imported. Those are fine looking hashish.

The doc won't let me smoke, she's a soviet. So I drank then the visions got really strong on the dt. People really worry about that. But it makes a lot of ecstasy and sense of truth.

therevverend

Veteran
Hash made and bat-pressing with automatic press: https://youtu.be/66ukfiUoDwc

Pat a cake pat a cake
Hash pressing man
Roll that hashish as fast as you can
Pat it and prick it and mark it with a C
And there will be enough for Abdul and me

At least that's my hash pressing song. I like this guy's method. I showed it to me friend who makes nasty screwball water hash. He almost jumped out of his seat when the guy kept throwing it back on the burner. The water is the key, that's what separates the amateurs from the masters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krZ0p9uJBoo&t=989s

I get confused over time whether I've found these videos here or somewhere else. Here's a couple fun smoking videos. If it's double posted I guess it's fun to watch twice..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Yuws8qMtU&t=750s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubwU1l5nVlY

Wish there were subtitles.

Latest posts

Latest posts