What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry Sift Supplies?

Elbuort19

1st time dry sifting and my screens should be here in the next week or two but I'm wondering if there are any supplies I will need. I live very remote, as in fly in and out no roads, so if I need parchment paper I have to order online and wait a minimum of 2 weeks...then I have to wrestle a couple of bears on the way to the drop zone.:) Anyway trying to avoid my screens showing up and needing some vital component that would make the process easier. Been trying to look at videos to get some ideas but internet is through satellite so it sucks. Please look at the list below and make some suggestions. Thanks!
BTW this is small scale, personal medicinal, so I don't need anything industrial. I use 6 to 8 strains so max run would be an oz. or less...garbage bags and shovels not necessary.:)

Brushes...sizes & types???
Microscope/Loupe???
Kief containers???
Parchment paper
Playing cards
Paint roller
Nitrile gloves
..........???

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
u can sift over a piece of glass, mirror/etc... gather it up with a razor, and store in a glass jar, or I sometimes use a plastic pill bottle... I guess if u wanta see the finished material, u would need a loupe/micro, but why look at it , which tells u nothing... just smoke it...

Elbuort19

2nd time replying to this...I'm an idiot! :biggrin:

Thanks for the reply! Those items slipped my mind...Do'h! I realize this looks like the shopping list of an idiot and I apologize but basically it is. My disability makes it difficult to retain information, kind of like Dory from Finding Nemo. I can spend all day researching something and at the end of the day there's almost nothing in the vault...frustrating!

I'm going to tumble everything to death for capsules but before tumbling I will process for full melt. The loupe is so I can gauge differences in techniques and mesh sizes.

For containers I think I will just go with cheap cosmetic containers. Sounds simple but I've been 2 days looking at these little bastards! lol

Anyone have advice on brushes? I've seen different brushes used for cleaning screens, moving material, and to increase static charge but don't know if all or any are necessary.

If there's anything anyone thinks I might need please don't hesitate to post. I have to order by Tuesday or it adds an extra week onto shipping...3 weeks!
cry.gif
:violin:

Brushes...sizes & types???
Microscope/Loupe
Kief containers
Parchment paper
Playing cards
Paint roller
Nitrile gloves
Mirror
Razor blades
..........???

RRResin

Magnification is the dry sifter's guide to quality (and quantity). It tells you how much resin is on the starting material and how much resin is left on the material during and after sifting.. It will tell you how much contaminant is mixed in with the resin heads etc etc....I've dry sifted for decades for personal use and I still use magnification before, during and after sifting.
Without magnification, you are only guessing, but with it you will know when to stop or keep going according to the level of quality and quantity.

RRResin

What size meshes did you order?
What is the paint roller for?
What type of tumbler do you have?

Razor blades?...hmmm, I'm not sure why you would need razor blades, but be careful as razor blades are natural enemies of meshes.
If you happen to make a hole in the mesh then a quick fix is with two small pieces of clear tape that is pressed over the hole from above and below..this works as a fix if you are in the bush or anywhere.

Happy hashing!

Easy7

Veteran
Sift is easy to take your time.

Extra large cookie sheet and parchment works wonders.

Water ice hash is more of an in a hurry style. Sift can be nice and slow.

H

HaHaHashish

Sift can be nice and slow.

Yes, exactly, that's the beauty of dry sifting, it's a pleasant, rewarding exercise and one of the many advantages is that you can stop dry sifting at any time for as long as you want and then go back to it.

H

HaHaHashish

A cheap set up for dry trimming is a clean insect window screen frame set at table height over a some type of catchment sheets or tray and will help catch any resin that falls off through while trimming.

This rough sift can be re-sifted over finer meshes (for example 160 Mesh then 125 Mesh) to remove most of the contaminant and then it will soft and malleable in 5 or 10 seconds of thumb in palm twisting pressure.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have dry sifted for a few years and tried a lot of different products and methods and nothing has worked 100% for me. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I have to assume that somewhere along the line I am doing something wrong. With that said..... what are the brushes for? LOL

I always used a credit card or similar plastic card for sifting (well, other than my paint shaker contraption. But, that's another story. LOL). Do you use paint brushes for scraping the sift across the screens?

I think one problem I have is that I am too rough and I break up all the trichs. I can't seem to get a good separation of heads.

Using a soft paintbrush sounds like an awesome idea.

So, like I said... I'm wondering if you use the paint brushes for scraping.

Also, like RRResin said above, magnification is everything.

H

HaHaHashish

Also, like RRResin said above, magnification is everything.

RRResin, I know him well!

anyway, brushes are used by some who do the static electricity dry sift method.

A great way to improve your dry sifting is by starting with aged material...lots of dry sifters in the West try to process plant material that is too young. Actually, I should rephrase that, most dry sifters try to work material that has resin attached to it that is still not aged enough, not hard enough (the plant material might be dry enough, but the resin is still too tacky, sticky and ruptures too easily, the resin heads, trichomes, needs to be dried long enough so they have a hard enough outer layer for efficient dry sifting. If you want excellent results and highest yields then try sifting branches of untrimmed bud that have sat in a cool, dry, dark room (or drawer) undisturbed or 4 ~ 6 months that are carefully and gently broken up over a screen in cold, low humidity conditions, then gently re-sifted over finer screens. You will notice a huge difference in your ability to produce purer resin more easily.

DenverJim

I agree. The yield is better. I’ve found that receiving through a stainless steel mesh removes brown garbage. I dry sift using a 220 micron bag nylon which is not very exact. I have a small supposed 220 micron ( actually 200 microns). Receiving using smAll paintbrush with little force. At the end I just hit the sides of the serve till most has gone through.
I then make hash out of the dry sift.