What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco in Fabric Pots Giving me HELL

REPOST from the NOOB Forum. sorry Admin for the repost...

Hello All!

So I have 3 plants I raised from seed, and I finally pulled them out and shot pics of them. A few issues here I am hoping to understand and correct.

#1. The Color and The Health of the plants. Any opinions or any obvious visual signs of something going on. I Can take more detail pics but this is all I have for now.

#2. I am growing in Coco in Fabric Pots, but using Ebb and Flow, so I am getting Mold all on the side of my plants. I am waiting to see if this Neem Oil/Alcohol/Ro .5. trick works, as I applied it a few days ago, and it seemed to cURB the mold, and no new mold has grown, however I am only Feeding Every other day.

#3. I noticed a bit of Root Rot on ONE of the Smaller plants, So I mixed some OG ROOT PACK into some RO Water and applied HALF of that batch, waiting for another 3 days and will apply the rest, as I suspect this is what is stunting the growth.

I started with RO 5.5 , Then introduced CalMag , Then started to feed them DynoGrow and everything was fine until my 5th or 6th Ebb and Flow Feeding (Before was ALLLLLLL by had) and thats where things took a turn for the worst. PLants DID NOT like this and I decided to flush using Ro 5.5 and Hydrogaurd for 2 weeks Every other day, No visible signs of recover but NEW GROWTH LOOKS GOOD and I am told thats whats important.

any suggestions would be great. I have a TON of nuts, helpers (Nitrogen, ClearEx , HydroGaurd, OG Root Pack, ect ect ect) so hopefully whatever I need, I have.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

CoCoSativas

Well you don't show pics of the mold. If it's on the coco it should be there it's trichoderma. White fuzzy mold? Leaving it alone is best it eats bad shit and is harmless to us and actually helps the plants in more ways than one.

I do pH 5.8 to 6.2 but 5.5 works...

Maybe dump the ebb and flow. Recirculating is not ideal for coco. Set up a drip feed or something and drain to waste. I don't care who tells you to Recirculating, sure they grow but the yield sucks. I've watched it happens on here and a friend recently did it.

You should provide more info and better pics of the problem areas

Edit lol I can see the trichoderma. Why does everyone see this and geek out its supposed to be there. I take it you are new to coco? Read the coco section brother it will help alot.
Having tons of bottles isn't the answer. Coco is actually easy to grow it once you have it under control

Yes very new to coco, Here ar emore pics. All I have at the moment.

The mold was a BIT fuzzy, only appeared when I feed from the Ebb and Flow, so I suspect it was the algae in my rez. Terrible terrible frist rez....

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Granger2

Veteran
What are you feeding? How long have they looked so deficient? Are you feeding any trace min supplement? They're approaching critical looks like. Good luck. -granger

They have looked like this for about a week,
Dynagrow , CalMag and RO 5.5 before things went
South with a root rot issue on one plant
Then a really contaminated reZ incident ....

Everything's by Hand now, drain to waste

@cocosativas the mold is on the base. I was able to kill that off with that neem oil trick, pretty good trick! I was impressed but it smelled like absolute shit.

CoCoSativas

Did you find algae in your rez? Typically coco has a white mold on it called trichoderma. Read about it and you won't kill it again.

You will have better results hand watering or dripping drain to waste... good you are on the already.

I honestly had no problem with coco in fabric pots. I grabbed some hard containers this go but once I get setup with droppers I'm going to with cannas cogr system, either in the board or in fabrics... though for the next 6 months I might use cannas bagged stuff.

The coco forum is wonderful full of lots of handy info. I love coco you can do it as a hydro medium or a fully organic grow...

X

Xray Kimono

What has your EXACT feeding schedule been and with what concentrations of what nutes?
It looks like they were fed WAY TOO MUCH, and the coco is packed in too tight. But post everything that has taken place to them since popping the beans, and post how much on which days.

Shouldn't be hard to figure out from there.

Root rot is bad mmkay. Need to get some zyme.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, do post your feed schedule.

Flushing every other day with plain water throws up a red flag....

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I see PH imbalance , salt build up on the pots , ebb & flo for coco & fabric pots is for people who REALLY know how to handle cocos needs . drip to waste is the way to go for newbies .
i see you switched over , thats great . but , Do NOT let the pots sit in the runoff !!! salts will build up again . especially if they get dry by next feed .
feed light & feed every time ... no plain water flushes !!! always flush with a low dose nutrient mix with the PH at 5.7 to 5.9 , this keeps the coco charged & the PH in range .

to be honest , them plants look to far gone . they will come out of it if you fix all their problems , but its going to take awhile . & i don't know if they'll ever fully recover . you might want to do some more research on coco & its needs & start some new plants in fresh pots of coco . but if you do plan on keeping them & trying to fix them , get them outa them pots & rinse off as much of the coco as possible & get them into a fresh pot & fresh coco with a 1/2 dose charge of nutes PHed to 5.7 to 5.9

thats just my opinion , you do what you see fit .

Granger2

Veteran
You could start over, but I think you should start following the feed chart of whatever nute line your using so you can learn from it. It's no wonder they look like that if you weren't feeding. Feed with all their additives. -granger

From seed, plain tap
Transplanted to coco in cups, started watering with RO 5.5
Moved to 3 gal fabric pots and ebb and flow setup
At this point, was feeding Dynagrow and Cal/Mag
BOOM-they started growing , healthy color

2 weeks later, FIMed and cut a few clones (A pro did this for me ) and they continued to grow.

Kept same nutes until a week later, everything went downhill when I noticed 2 things:
1: color of leaves is horrrrrrrible
2. Mold on pots and on top soil

I discontinued recirculation, dumped the res, and flushed every 2-3 days with hydro guard and RO 5.0.2 weeks later, I flushed with straight RO 5.5 and mixed the OG ROOT WAR PACK and let the, chill, watering 1-2 a week, then applied another OG ROOT PACK/ RO 5.5

Now I have the SM-90, trying to figure out if I should spray it on the leaves or mix it with my new batch of RO i prepared last night at 5.5, Cal/Mag , and Nitrogen.

Can I spray the leaves with this batch of RO/calmag/N or will it burn more?
Can I add the SM-90 to that formula or keep it separate.

I know a lot of you think and know these are toast, but it's my first grow and I would like to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE about solving issues like this before I go spend 200+ on clones, all to have the same shit happen.

Thanks in advance guys!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
salt build up on the pots , ebb & flo for coco & fabric pots is for people who REALLY know how to handle cocos needs .

Saw that immediately. Over fertilizing, incorrect proportions mixing so much together. For sure, salt build up. Scrape off top layer that's moldy, careful not to nick plant stalk in doing so.

Any way you can cut the fabric, lightly trim roots and set in 5 gallon container? Mix perlite in if using coco.

You may have to chalk it up to learning experience (not repeating) and let the plants go.....

paper thorn

Veteran
Flushed at 5.0
Then at 5.5
Nutes at 5.5

Where did you ever get the idea that you should run with a ph that low?

People keep saying 5.8-6.2 range and you keep saying 5.5 like there's no difference. or at least no problem.
Sure way to lock out magnesium, and calcium, and of course once that happens and then throw in flushing with ro which is going to try to grab some ions while it's passing through the medium leaving you with nothing and when you do feed they can't take stuff up in the right ratios, one missing thing get replaced by something the plant doesn't need, antagonisms(too much of one thing locking out another) occur until the plant is getting almost nothing it needs.
Takes them forever to recover. If they do.

Previous posters have given perfect advice, please take it.

Weeded1s

What @paperthorn said
...yes we are all stoners but dont cut corners on ph ffs.
Your just asking for a lock out at 5.5...however 5.6 to 6.0 is fine in coco all the way through. Just hit 5.7 and feed em .. the plants in coco will adjust the ph to where it needs for its liking. 5.7 all the way through. Just my recomendation tho..hope that reconfirmed some stuff for ya.
Ohh the coco can only adjust the ph into what it needs if you give it a stable starting ph range ...so 5.3 and their not gonna adjust for you.
Higher ph for mag deff...lower ph for cal deff. The range is 5.6 to 6.0 vut 5.7 is tittie for me and most my frenzz

X

Xray Kimono

From seed, plain tap
Transplanted to coco in cups, started watering with RO 5.5
Moved to 3 gal fabric pots and ebb and flow setup
At this point, was feeding Dynagrow and Cal/Mag
BOOM-they started growing , healthy color

2 weeks later, FIMed and cut a few clones (A pro did this for me ) and they continued to grow.

Kept same nutes until a week later, everything went downhill when I noticed 2 things:
1: color of leaves is horrrrrrrible
2. Mold on pots and on top soil

I discontinued recirculation, dumped the res, and flushed every 2-3 days with hydro guard and RO 5.0.2 weeks later, I flushed with straight RO 5.5 and mixed the OG ROOT WAR PACK and let the, chill, watering 1-2 a week, then applied another OG ROOT PACK/ RO 5.5

Now I have the SM-90, trying to figure out if I should spray it on the leaves or mix it with my new batch of RO i prepared last night at 5.5, Cal/Mag , and Nitrogen.

Can I spray the leaves with this batch of RO/calmag/N or will it burn more?
Can I add the SM-90 to that formula or keep it separate.

I know a lot of you think and know these are toast, but it's my first grow and I would like to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE about solving issues like this before I go spend 200+ on clones, all to have the same shit happen.

Thanks in advance guys!

Still no details on how much and how often... AND STOP FLUSHING COCO W PLAIN RO...it throws EVERYTHING out of whack.

And get out your reading glasses and do a LOT more research.

SvenB

Just from looking they look over watered and overfed. 5.5 Every feeding is low. You should definitely be fluctuating up to 6.0 regularly. Need schedule with actual nute solutions to have any real idea though.