What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

HCMPA

I will put this out here just in case others want to try a compacted cob....
This uses a 3" chunk of 3/4" copper pipe, a soldered threaded adapter and whatever you can find that threads on and closes the end (this what I had, a threaded to1/2" reducer) I then placed a 1/4" nylon slug inside to create a bottom.
View attachment 18905341
I also made this little base for it to stand in.
View attachment 18905342
Here is one squeezed in pretty tight. I made three, about 3" long - one pressed by hand, one squeezed with the drill press and one put in the vice. It came out at 23g. I will try to keep track if there are any differences.
View attachment 18905348
When it is full, I turn it over and use the plunger and the drill press to push it out. I have built a little stand to accomplish this. If you need a pic, just ask.
It is a little after 5 and the buzz is starting to fade!!! Slowly!! Have I mentioned that I love Cob!!!! :jump:
I have around 1" and 3/4" of "food grade" pipes (some kind of plastic) which thanks to you, I know how they are going to end their days xD

gumzgi

for how many days you can leave the cob vacsealed without opening him after the first sweat heat ?
if you heat it just till you see the sweat and then you will leave it somewhere at room temp for lets say 7,8 days and only after these days you open for the 1st time to dry , would something wrong occur in these days if you dont open it ?

Tangwena

Veteran
for how many days you can leave the cob vacsealed without opening him after the first sweat heat ?
if you heat it just till you see the sweat and then you will leave it somewhere at room temp for lets say 7,8 days and only after these days you open for the 1st time to dry , would something wrong occur in these days if you dont open it ?
The main problem with leaving them for more than a week if they are still too wet after sweating is decomposition of the cob.
Nothing bad but it tastes like shit, still gets you high though.

Drier buds dont get this problem though so its all about how you dry them in the first instance.
Even no sweat works great and is a safer option for beginners but again its all down to correct drying at the start.
Slow dry and warm ambient temps curing (25c) takes longer but is tastier and the high more intense in my experience.
Its intuitive as Hombre says. Once you let your intuition loose it gets easier and easier.
Its all in the nose and color changes more than any set levels or temps you go by feel and aroma.
A good curer could make a good cure without any moisture meters or thermometers its in your soul.

Buzzzzd

Those look to be big doses Buzzzzd!
Oh Oh!! They are 3/4" x 1/8" "coins" but having said that, they are compressed quite a bit.
My thinking is if the cob is 2.5" (20 x 1/8") and 11 grams so 11 grams divided by 20 is .55 grams. Would that be OK - maybe my tolerance is getting up there!! :dunno: :unsure:

Here is yesterdays cobs having completed the sweat..... in order of appearance, hand packed 16 g, drill press packed 19 g and then squeezed in a vice 23 g
DSC05945.JPG

I will let them dry overnite and revacpak to start the cure.

Last edited:

Buzzzzd

The main problem with leaving them for more than a week if they are still too wet after sweating is decomposition of the cob.
Nothing bad but it tastes like shit, still gets you high though.

Drier buds dont get this problem though so its all about how you dry them in the first instance.
Even no sweat works great and is a safer option for beginners but again its all down to correct drying at the start.
Slow dry and warm ambient temps curing (25c) takes longer but is tastier and the high more intense in my experience.
Its intuitive as Hombre says. Once you let your intuition loose it gets easier and easier.
Its all in the nose and color changes more than any set levels or temps you go by feel and aroma.
A good curer could make a good cure without any moisture meters or thermometers its in your soul.
I am worried that I may fall into this category...I am trying to start at about 65-70% when I start the sweat. My first attemps may have been off because I really can't take the taste!!! I'm hoping as I go along things will fall into place. I'm going to continue with moisture meter and thermometer and weight just so I have something less subjective than "smell test" at least until I trust my nose!!!
Thanx for all the help Tangwena and all you guys...what a journey this is!!!!! :whee:

CDNINCA

Oh Oh!! They are 3/4" x 1/8" "coins" but having said that, they are compressed quite a bit.
My thinking is if the cob is 2.5" (20 x 1/8") and 11 grams so 11 grams divided by 20 is .55 grams. Would that be OK - maybe my tolerance is getting up there!! :dunno: :unsure:

Here is yesterdays cobs having completed the sweat..... in order of appearance, hand packed 16 g, drill press packed 19 g and then squeezed in a vice 23 g
. View attachment 18905843
I will let them dry overnite and revacpak to start the cure.
I really enjoy how you are documenting this process for all to learn from, thanks for sharing! I'm still a relative newbie to all of this and I appreciate your efforts!
I've got one plant trimmed and in jars from this year, with two more hanging still, and two to harvest! One of them may be a while still until it's "ready", killer Sativa from a friend! All this to say I might be following your lead on the new batch of cob-generation shortly! Woohoo!
Please keep us updated on your progress, it's fun to follow along. Cheers!

Buzzzzd

I really enjoy how you are documenting this process for all to learn from, thanks for sharing!
Thank you so much!!! I am learning along with all the other newbies to this process. I'm just glad that Tangwena, and too many to mention, other pioneers have the patience to guide us thru!! It is scarey for us newbies sometimes because once someone has learned the process and have a lot of experience behind them they may forget to mention some of the little details that is second nature. I just appreciate that Tangwena will tell us that to hammer in that nail put the pointy end down!!!
I am also blessed with a reasonably well equipped shop and I love to make gadgets, hence, all the goofy little things I like to build - but I must admit that some of them come to me when my mind is really racing around because of cob!!!
Have I mentioned - I'm loving Cob!!!! :jump:

blondie

Story time... Three years ago I apparently improperly stored a bag of Malawi. when I opened, I didn’t see it infested with mold. I vaped many full bowls until I actually paid attention and saw mold everywhere. 2 months later (three years ago now) I came down with a mystery illness that plagues me still. Is the moldy weed the cause? Do yourself a favor and toss it in the trash. Can you vape it? Maybe. Should you? I would say no. Reach for a non moldy one. Not worth the potential risk.

blondie

I have similar symptoms to long covid with additional constant and often times extreme pain. Doctors have been dismissive. I’ve found that if a doctor can’t explain it, you are labeled as a nut case. I’ve yet to meet an omniscient human though and have reminded a number of doctors this fact. All doctors have totally dismissed the moldy weed theory completely so who knows. My strong opinion.. don’t take the chance that mold will adversely affect you.

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
If I remember right you can just scratch it away :) but let’s wait for final confirmation of one of the two Sensai‘s..

I had one small girl in 7 Liter this season. Cross of a friend. Biddy early x Serious 6 She was ugly but the sugar with an amazing terpene Profil. Chemical lemon with tiger balm. I kept just 1 Bud. The rest was Vacuum sealed behind the heating. 15h heating wasn’t running all the time. I saw some sweat ;)

I dried it nearly the whole day. Now I wrapped it into clear foil because I lost the key of my room or just forget the place were it is xD haha. Lazy man crazy man cob.

IMG_3667.jpeg
IMG_3835.jpeg
IMG_3862.jpeg

Last edited:

Perdido

Hi, I could need some help. This is my first try.
Maybe I've overdone it? I just pressed 40 Grams of dense small buds in a tube just 3 days after harvest, when the buds still felt quite fresh. Now it sits in a warm spot.
Was that too early? What will happen or how should I proceed?

Very cool thread still
Greets Perdido

FLC x GMG cob 01.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
i made a cob a month ago and i forget about him and was pretty wet when was vacumed, i opeened topday and theres mold :D , shoud i trow it away ? :)
View attachment 18906206
View attachment 18906207
Just cut it out like a surgeon removes a cancer its usually just surface.
When you slice it off you will see if its spread internally.
We used to smoke moldy pot a lot in Africa during the rainy season its very high humidity and even well dried cobs will get mold if left out of a bag.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi, I could need some help. This is my first try.
Maybe I've overdone it? I just pressed 40 Grams of dense small buds in a tube just 3 days after harvest, when the buds still felt quite fresh. Now it sits in a warm spot.
Was that too early? What will happen or how should I proceed?

Very cool thread still
Greets Perdido

View attachment 18906409
Only one way to find out I'd leave it and see what happens.