What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why wooden spoons?

OMGWTFBBQ420

I couldn't really find a reasoning anywhere.. but everyone uses wooden spoons for mixing. Is there a reason for using wooden? Maybe I'm over thinking things, but has anyone tried metal? I figure it would be easier to clean..

Green Supreme

Veteran
Many metal spoons will have sharper edges, which can chop material during vigorous stirring. Wooden spoons have blunt edges. Peace GS

Question was, why a wood spoon? Peace GS

So then answer his question.

Are you implying that hash will turn out differently because of what you use to mix?

Wood spoon? Hockey stick? Stainless mixer? Pvc pipe?

Uhh, no. It won't.

OP, use whatever is around that's clean dude, lol.

Green Supreme

Veteran
"Why would a spoon with slightly more blunt edges matter one iota when dealing with buckets of ice and water with wet trim?|

This from the fellow who said, his method did not move material on the screen, only to reveal the exact opposite.

Still have not taken the time to watch those 2 videos in my thread yet huh. Ya yer a joke. All puffed up and angry. Such a fool out loud. You kept talking about taste like you thought it was me that posted. Perhaps that is the case, you thought it was me so you freaked, too funny. Keep talkin ,it makes me laugh. Peace GS

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
its been observed in blind taste tests.
Its the same reason ceramic knives are now used for meat and fish. Also caviar should not be eaten with a stainless steel spoon. some people are more sensitive to the taste other not so. different metal coatings leave a different taste. bitter like, the way this thread is going.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
censorship is why i don't waste much time anymore on this site.

...especially when one so innocuous as my last post in this thread gets deleted, i said nothing offensive and yet it is gone, ...and so am i.

bozo

Green Supreme

Veteran
I have pointed it out to you the 2 times you pulled this bs before. Even linked for you. Now I am supposed to jump, cuz you say. Screw you, just easier for you not to look so you can keep blathering on. This world is not all about you dsw. Get a life. Peace GS

I have pointed it out to you the 2 times you pulled this bs before. Even linked for you. Now I am supposed to jump, cuz you say. Screw you, just easier for you not to look so you can keep blathering on. This world is not all about you dsw. Get a life. Peace GS

You haven't pointed out anything, but that is a very convenient answer for you right now since you're getting trashed and can't figure out what to say.

You honestly have no idea what you're talking about, and it's obvious as daylight. You are talking about a porous material that is one of the best spots on earth for mold and contaminants to hide/breed/etc. (wood, ya dig?) and then saying it's ideal to stick it into our water and ice and stir it around vigorously.

I suppose you use a new spoon every single time you make hash, right?

Taste is subjective. There is zero factual evidence on planet earth (which is why this thread exists in the first place, btw big guy) that different materials will cause different tastes.

Water is not physically or scientifically capable of leaching or stripping anything out of carbon fiber, stainless steel, or other materials one might use to mix hash.

On the other hand, wood is possibly one of the dirtiest things you could use, yet you're willing to pretend you can tell the difference.

I'll put up $25,000 and fly you anywhere you want to meet me, and i'll put 4 different hashes down in front of you.

If you get even 1 of them correct in how I made it and with what material it was mixed, it's all yours.

Problem is, i've got a list of about 50 different materials, and then a bunch more, which water will not affect whatsoever.

But sure, you are better than science and technology is fucking stupid brah'.

I bet you believe in god, too. Lol. GTFO.

And I did look for your thread. Didn't see it anywhere on the first page and that goes back months on end.

Is it on the 2nd page? It must not be very good if it's stuck back there. You just don't want to post it now for me because you know i'm right.

Sorry, hoss. Deal with it.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
The evidence is that so many ppl use wooden spoons and not metal..
Ask the best chef's in the world why they use ceramic knives . metal poisoning is rotting yer brain.

Dr Zoe Laughlin and Professor Mark Miodownik, co-directors of the Institute of Making at University College London, think you should. They and their colleagues have conducted a series of scientific experiments into the way spoons coated in different metals affect the tastes of food. And recently, they held their first spoon-tasting dinner, an event attended by materials scientists, psychologists and culinary luminaries such as Heston Blumenthal and Harold McGee, who had flown over from the US for the occasion.

In a private room at Quilon, the Michelin-starred restaurant in London, guests tried seven courses of delicately spiced southwest Indian food with seven different, freshly polished spoons: copper, gold, silver, tin, zinc, chrome and stainless steel. The base of each spoon was engraved with the periodic table symbol of the element with which it was plated.

Laughlin and Miodownik are materials scientists who wanted to find out how identically-shaped objects such as cubes and bells behaved when they were made from different materials. Curiosity about how the materials might taste grew from this work. “It seemed obvious to do this with something that people felt comfortable putting into their mouths, which is why we ended up with spoons,” says Miodownik.

Laughlin, who is an artist as well as a scientist, designed the spoons and had them electroplated with metals that were – if not exactly edible – at least non-toxic, and essential, in trace quantities, for human health. She and her colleagues ran experiments in which human guinea pigs were blindfolded and given spoons to suck – on their own, and filled with simply-flavoured creams. What they found was that their subjects could distinguish between the flavours of the different spoons, and that the metals affected the perceived bitterness, sweetness and pleasantness of the creams.

After three years of research, they unleashed the spoons on this complex Indian dinner, served with a flight of seven beers. The sight of 15 adults sucking their spoons like babies was an unusual start to a dinner party, but they had surprisingly different flavours. Copper and zinc were bold and assertive, with bitter, metallic tastes; the copper spoons even smelt metallic as they gently oxidised in the air. The silver spoon, despite its beauty, tasted dull in comparison, while the stainless steel had a faintly metallic flavour that is normally overlooked. As Miodownik pointed out, we were not just tasting the spoons but actually eating them, because with each lick we were consuming “perhaps a hundred billion atoms”.

When the spoons were tasted with food, there were some surprising revelations. Baked black cod with zinc was as unpleasant as a fingernail scraped down a blackboard, and grapefruit with copper was lip-puckeringly nasty. But both metals struck a lovely, wild chord with a mango relish, their loud, metallic tastes somehow harmonised by its sweet-sour flavour. (“With sour foods, like mango and tamarind, you really are tasting the metal,” says Laughlin, “because the acid strips off a little of the surface.”) Tin turned out to be a popular match for pistachio curry. And Laughlin sang the praises of gold as a spoon for sweet things: “Gold has a smooth, almost creamy quality, and a quality of absence – because it doesn’t taste metallic.”

The idea of a meal as a multi-sensory experience is nothing new; what is recent is the science that’s illuminating the complexity of our perceptions. Professor Charles Spence of the Department of Experimental Psychology at Oxford University, another member of the spoon research group, has shown how playing crunchy, crackly sounds to people eating crisps makes them taste crisper, and that increasing the weight of spoons makes the food they carry taste better, sweeter and more filling.

So, might chefs one day consider the taste of their cutlery as part of the flavour of a dish? Heston Blumenthal has been known to serve edible cutlery made of chocolate dusted with silver. “I can imagine a spoon being part of a dish,” he says. “I’ve been surprised at the range of metal flavours we’ve tasted, and at the way some sit quite well with certain sour notes in food, like the zinc and copper with mango. I’ve always been sensitive to metallic tastes and had thought of the cutlery as interfering with the food; but here, the metallic note can, with some flavours, be more enjoyable than otherwise.”

Although the evening was thought-provoking, I didn’t feel the spoons added much to what was, in itself, a marvellous dinner. The sweet-peppery prawns were perfectly balanced, and did not require an astringent lick of copper, or even a smear of gold. By the end of the second course my tongue was beginning to taste as though it had been electroplated with metal. And even if eating honey ice cream with a golden spoon had an air of magic about it, I’m not sure I’ll be hurrying to plate my own spoons in gold.

"The idea of a meal as a multi-sensory experience is nothing new; what is recent is the science that’s illuminating the complexity of our perceptions. Professor Charles Spence of the Department of Experimental Psychology at Oxford University, another member of the spoon research group, has shown how playing crunchy, crackly sounds to people eating crisps makes them taste crisper, and that increasing the weight of spoons makes the food they carry taste better, sweeter and more filling. "

So basically that entire article is just them admitting that it's all in your head, dipshit.

Good lord. LOL.. thanks for proving my point, though.

Again, show us your drawer full of plastic and ceramic silverware. You don't have any, but thanks for pretending you're on the forefront of science, haha.

If you want to get into it, we can talk about extracting pure Terpenes, which I have the machinery to do.

http://www.greenhouseseeds.nl/shop/strains-terpenes-profiles.html

If you want 'flavor' then you shouldn't be making water hash in the first goddamn place...

You should be using the method that's at the very top of the sticky stuff on the main page... I can't recall whose thread it is, though.

Great results, however. :)

Snype

Veteran
I can't stand wood. Reminds me of a wooded cutting board infested with different things. I will stick to stainless!

I can't stand wood. Reminds me of a wooded cutting board infested with different things. I will stick to stainless!

We have a winner, folks.

That's precisely what it is. Mold breeds in wood faster than almost anywhere. I can't believe these people are hung up on being clean, tasty, pure, blah blah blah..

Then friggin' say 'use a wooden spoon!'

LOL.. Yikes.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
No one came here to prove anything man, just share their ideas on the original question. You jacked the thread, looking for evidence, yet given none yourself.. Go extract your smelly attitude out of here.

Latest posts

Latest posts