What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Non HLG Samsung chip Boards

dddaver

Veteran
I think the only thing different about those two boards, I think, is the mounting hardware..hanger..is not included in the cheaper one. A mere $20 difference. I imagine you can find one much cheaper. And HLG also offers a non-switchable Meanwell driver a couple bucks cheaper I think. Does anyone really need one on a 100W unit?

h.h.

Veteran
I think the extra 20 is for a heat sink.

Twice the diodes as HLG, yet the same wattage. Sounds good, but is it?
Price is better. If they’re good.

dddaver

Veteran
Ahh. I thought the heat sink WAS the board on those. I have an HLG 100. The board is metal and gets warm. The only parts are the board with the chips on it, the driver that generates the warmth, and the hanger. I'm curious whether the driver could be made digital, much like HPS ballasts. and become heat free. The bane of growing....My tent got hot last night.

h.h.

Veteran
Ahh. I thought the heat sink WAS the board on those. I have an HLG 100. The board is metal and gets warm. The only parts are the board with the chips on it, the driver that generates the warmth, and the hanger. I'm curious whether the driver could be made digital, much like HPS ballasts. and become heat free. The bane of growing....My tent got hot last night.
I have finned heatsinks on my HLG’s. I think they can be ordered both ways.