What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Very high CBD strains, which ones?

G

http://www.drchronic.com/products.asp?partno=WOS Wild Thailand REG x 10
orld of Seeds wild Thailand Landrace

Outdoor/indoor Race: Pure race obtained from Ko Chang(Thailand) Genotipe: 100% sativa High: Less than 1.5 m indoor/ 3 meters outdoor Cannabis seeds per pack 3, 7, and 12 seed packs Growing time: 1-2 weeks(indoor) Harvest time: 75-80 days indoor/last November outdoor Resistance to mushrooms: High because belongs to wet clime Resistance to plague: Depends on the plague. Irrigation tolerancy: High Yield: 350 gr per m2 indoor/ 450 – 600 gr per plant outdoor Medicinal value: Average (medium content in CBD). Aplication like an antiemetic and in treatment of intraocular pressure in glaucoma Smell: Sweet, intense Flavour: Fruitysweet Effects: Energetic, long life effect. THC Level: 22.3% measured upon the rest of cannabinoids.(taking an account THCV too) 9.7 % measured upon the rest of organic substances belonging to buds like: aminoacids, sugars, terpenoids, vegetal hormones, and cannabinoids (determined by gas chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry)

Product Name Price Quantity
WOS Wild Thailand REG x 10 WOS Wild Thailand REG x 10 £15.00

Geographically, landrace strains and hybrids from the Hindu Kush, Kashmir, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Afghani, and surrounding regions are most likely to contain specific cannabinoid profiles providing some Cannabidiol. The Afghan hashish has some considerable cannabidiol because it is an Indica hybrid, no longer a pure Afghanica although still genetically influenced there. Pine Tar Kush is a good Indica that I will try out next grow to see how well it fares in cannabidiol, subjectively of course. Deep Chunk is a strain that goes beyond Indica, into Cannabis Afghanica territory, although this is not what is currently grown in Afghanistan, if only distant hybrids and relatives of Afghanica. Unfortunately, Deep Chunk will not have much more Cannabidiol than most hybrid strains, although it does have a good THC content even though it has a night time, munchy stone similar to Indicas. For example, the Deep Chunk is more of a head stone, whereas the Indicas have more body stone. Sativas have a head and or body high, and are usually proliferant in mostly THC, and lack any considerable cannabidiol to account for various differences. There are a number of cannabinoids which can affect the way THC affects a given subject. Depending on which cannabinoids are present and to what degree and combination with themselves and THC. Anything from absorbtion rates to metabolism can be altered depending on which cannabinoids are present in combination with THC.

The main cannabinoids aside from THC are CBD and CBN. CBD is perceived to have more effect on the body. THC has an equal affinity to CB1 and CB2 receptors, while CBD has a greater affinity for the CB2 receptor than for the CB1 receptor. Consequently, Tetrahydrocannabivarin also known as tetrahydrocannabivarol, 'THCV', or 'THV', is a psychoactive cannabinoid found in in the hemp plant ''Cannabis sativa''. It is an analog of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) with the sidechain shortened by two CH2 groups. THCV can be used as a marker compound to differentiate between the consumption of hemp products and synthetic THC (Dronabinol, Marinol).
THCV is found in largest quantities from Indica strains. It has been shown to block CB1 receptors. Some varieties that produce propyl cannabinoids in significant amounts, over five percent of total cannabinoids, have been found in plants from South Africa, Nigeria, Afghanistan, India, Pakistan and Nepal with THCV as high as 53.69% of total cannabinoids. They usually have moderate to high levels of both THC and CBD and hence have a complex cannabinoid chemistry representing some of the worlds most exotic varieties. Likewise CBN (cannabinol), being a degredation product from THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), only leaves out the "tetrahydro" which is the psychoactive part of "TH" in the "Cannabis". So CBD being co-produced with THC is what is the targeted cannabinoid.

Last edited:
T

THCV

Slickster, CBD is NOT a THC precursor. That was a flawed initial theory (it's in Marijuana Botany, but incorrect) that has since been disproved. CBD is derived from the same precursor as THC, through a different enzymatic pathway, which is genetically defined. CBD does not turn into THC, nor vice-versa. CBN is the oxidative breakdown of THC. The only way to get CBD is with the right genetics, environment is not going to change the THC/CBD ratio.

Maybe you were using "CBD's" to mean any/all cannabinoids? But CBD is a specific cannabinoid, so that is confusing nomenclature.

To get a chance at some of the rarer cannabinoids not found in modern day hybrids like Cannabidiol, some landrace strains would be optimal. Take the CannabioGen line with their Sandstorm and many other great options to choose from. Also Ace seeds has a nice Ace Mix going on from time to time with it's Pakistani, Uzbeki, and Chinese Yunnan crosses in it. Am trying the Pine Tar Kush to see how it fares as compared to Deep Chunk, which felt mostly strong in THC. It is slightly less worked, so although there will be just slightly more phenotypical variation than the Deep Chunk which was more IBL. May just need to just remove any reverse males at flowering. Albiet CBN is not necessarily seen as a desirable cannabinoid by most due to its sleepy, foggy effects, it certainly does have its place in the medicine and recreation cabinet.

Last edited:
G

The Slickster said:
Albiet CBN is not necessarily seen as a desirable cannabinoid by most due to its sleepy, foggy effects, it does have its place in the medicine and recreation cabinet.
Oh Hooooo!!!!

Please please stick around!!

CBN is a THC antagonist. That means that for a patient undergoing a cannabinoid treatment the patient is able to tolerate much higher levels of THC. In fact at least one of the THC antagonists has been shown to have anti tumor properties ie CBD. I haven't seen any others reported, as of yet. But it wouldn't surprise me to find out that others have been also.

Sleepy .. chuckle .. Rick Simpson selected his starting material based on if it made him sleepy.

Slickster .. You;ve got some really fine stuff you can add.

Harvest time .. I've been wondering about harvest time. Also about the time of day (light cycle). Of course I started thinking off that way based on the UVB idea. Say I'm looking for CBD. Then a harvest just before lights going on should provide the higest possible CBD content.

That and I was harvesting early. Looking for THC antagonists.

I drove my type 2 diabetes into remission, BTW.

E

EatCannabisRaw

i like the cbd effect definitely. i need a good amt in it. i go kindy loopy with just the thc haha

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Actually, CBD is a THC antagonist, not CBN. CBN is just degraded THC and is 10% as psychoactive as THC. THC has anti cancer properties and CBD stops cells from migrating and dividing. Unless a plant has the proper genetics(BdBd or BtBd) there is no possible way using different soil, ferts or UVB light to produce CBD. CBD under certain acidic conditions can be turned into THC, but THC cannot be turned into CBD.

G

cannabidiol (CBD) and its synthetic analogs, which have negligible affinity for either CB1 or CB2 receptors.

taken from NIH report.

An interesting tidbit, I thought. CBD is anti tumorial and seems to work in another pathway than the CB receptors. This seems to expand on the U of T information.

I'll have to look up the status of CBN as an possible THC antagonist. I thought I'd seen it somewhere. Slicksters mention of a sleepy effect was what brought that to mind for me.

Thanks for pointing out CBD->THC but not THC->CBD. I'll look into it.

Still trying to figure out wtf Simpson managed to achieve. Still convinced it's more than THC.

It looks like Pakistanis also have some appetite suppresant properties:

Source: Guardian
Date: 7 September 2005

Cannabis joins battle of the bulge
The drug that gives smokers the munchies
could also suppress hunger
Alok Jha, science correspondent​

"Scientists have unveiled an unlikely weapon in the battle against the bulge: cannabis. More specifically, one of its key ingredients, which has been found to suppress appetite.

Anyone who has ever inhaled will know the feeling: an inescapable desire to eat everything in sight, a state called the munchies. It stems from the action of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), one of the active ingredients in cannabis, on specific appetite-control receptors in the brain. The chemical also causes the body to lay down more fat.

But Roger Pertwee, a neuropharmacologist at Aberdeen University, said yesterday at the British Association festival of science that there is more to the cannabis story.

"We've discovered to our surprise that cannabis, as well as containing a drug that boosts appetite, contains a drug which has a blocking effect," said Professor Pertwee. "The work so far has been working with tissue and we've yet to see what this drug does when we give it to a whole organism and what it does when we give it to humans."

The drug, known as tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV), works on the same receptors as THC but has entirely the opposite effect. The research will be published in the British Journal of Pharmacology.

THCV is not the first appetite suppressant to be inspired by cannabis. The drug Rimonabant works by blocking the brain receptors that the body's own cannabinoid compounds - released when we comfort eat - attach themselves to. Because the cannabinoids do not reach the receptors in a person taking Rimonabant, they will feel less compulsion to eat.

Why THCV does not manifest itself to people who smoke cannabis is a mystery, but Prof Pertwee said it might have something to do with the proportions of the various ingredients in the drug. "The relative proportions of THC and THCV vary from cannabis to cannabis," he said.

"There is a large amount of THCV in Pakistani cannabis, which is the one used to make a medicine called 'tincture of cannabis'. That contained about equal amounts of THC and THCV."

Prof Pertwee said that there were several promising medicinal compounds to be derived from cannabis, both for boosting the effects of the body's own cannabinoids and for blocking them.

Boosting the cannabinoids could bring pain relief, for example, and relieve spasms for sufferers of multiple sclerosis. Prof Pertwee added that there was also evidence that the compounds had a protective effect against cancer.

As well as controlling appetite, developing drugs that block the body's cannabinoids could help people to quit smoking by stopping nicotine having any effect on the brain."

http://www.tetrahydrocannabivarin.com/

That would help to negate some of the munchies for some people who are looking to slim down. Probably not the pure THC someone looking for appetite stimulation would be looking for, but it is interesting none the less.

Last edited:

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
The White Widow that Rick used has 1.1% CBD, according to Greenhouse Seeds. Their Hawaiian Snow has 1.4%. It is too bad that synthetic CBD is illegal. it would be very beneficial and it not only is non-psychoactive, but blocks the CB1 receptor so that THC cannot fill it. Sam the Skunkman said that if you took 100mg of CBD first, you could smoke a joint and not get high.

Wonder what happens to the CB-2 receptors when CB-1 is blocked by cannabidiol. And peanutbutter, I did not know THCV was being studied and is likely useful for various metabolic problems including:

Developmental delay, seizures, dementia, encephalopathy, stroke
Deafness, blindness, pain agnosia
Skin rash, abnormal pigmentation, lack of pigmentation, excessive hair growth, lumps and bumps
Dental abnormalities
Immunodeficiency, thrombocytopenia, anemia, enlarged spleen, enlarged lymph nodes
Many forms of cancer
Recurrent vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain
Excessive urination, renal failure, dehydration, edema
Hypotension, heart failure, enlarged heart, hypertension, myocardial infarction
Hepatomegaly, jaundice, liver failure
Unusual facial features, congenital malformations
Excessive breathing (hyperventilation), respiratory failure
Abnormal behavior, depression, psychosis
Joint pain, muscle weakness, cramps
Hypothyroidism, adrenal insufficiency, hypogonadism, diabetes mellitus

If it can help with the normal dehydration and munchies associated with most varieties then it's positive effects can be worked into reducing some of the characteristic side effects when and where needed for various purposes. And would not necessarily need to fall into an unrecreational category either with a good amount of THC as the catalyst.

m4n

weedbay.net front page has an introduction to a new strain
The Bulldog

It’s still the hub in Oaksterdam, the old OCBC is still serving cards and the line looked long today, hehe. Who knew Jeff was so lucky at cards. The OCBC is now known as the Patient ID Center. They still operate at 1733 Broadway in Oakland and 470 S San Vicente Blvd Los Angeles. The bulldog is rumor central so I check with my unnamed sources after meeting up with that old friend of mine.
Supposedly there is going to be a new strain in town in about a month. This is a very high CBD strain and it’s going to be called Hi-CBD. This new strain is going to be about 3 or 4% CBD, much higher than the 0.01% found in modern strains that have been tested lately. I have no idea where it’s going to be available at but it will show up. So there’s an inside tip for you.

Last edited:
T

THCV

No one really has high hopes for the THCV cannabinoid anymore. Acomplia, aka Rimonabant was a drug that failed FDA testing recently because it makes people suicidal and has a host of other shitty side effects. It is based on THCV and works in the same way, and was going to be used to help quit smoking and lose weight. While I love my screenname, I have zero interest in THCV in my pot. For a simple way to think about it, THCV is the anti-THC--all the good of THC turned backwards--kills hunger, makes you feel depressed, suicidal, makes music sound worse and sex worse etc etc. (hehe) It has probably been bred out of most landraces ages ago because...it sucks.

That high-CBD strain seems too good to be true. I wonder if it will seem like schwag. Testing will be suspect of course, due to a complete lack of standards in the US...

G

I had seen mention of Rimonabant in the '06 NIH report. I'm thinking that it is a synthetic that is related to THCV. Is that correct or is it synthetic THCV?

It seems that all isolated compounds have their drawbacks. This seems to argue for the organic cocktail method. In other words, it's gotta be weed.

NIH report also mentioned that CBD makes use of other pathways than either CB1 or CB2. Yet is a THC antiagonist anyway.

THCV said:
No one really has high hopes for the THCV cannabinoid anymore. Acomplia, aka Rimonabant was a drug that failed FDA testing recently because it makes people suicidal and has a host of other shitty side effects. It is based on THCV and works in the same way, and was going to be used to help quit smoking and lose weight. While I love my screenname, I have zero interest in THCV in my pot. For a simple way to think about it, THCV is the anti-THC--all the good of THC turned backwards--kills hunger, makes you feel depressed, suicidal, makes music sound worse and sex worse etc etc. (hehe) It has probably been bred out of most landraces ages ago because...it sucks.

That high-CBD strain seems too good to be true. I wonder if it will seem like schwag. Testing will be suspect of course, due to a complete lack of standards in the US...

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
THCV, you just hit the nail on the head. Testing is the real problem with most of us. You can't just go down to any university or lab and get your plants tested. In order to do a gc/ms ,you have to have the standards, which are expensive. They are also controlled as you need DEA authorization. Many labs who do have the standards only have a few, not for all 72 cannabinoids. U. Miss does most of the testing on pot that cops steal. El Solay has a contract from the government. He is a real bullshitter and does whatever he can to maintain his exclusive control over U.S. grown pot.

The only way that most of us can test pot is by smoking or using an inaccurate test like the Cannalytics Kit from AlphaNova. Only problem is the AlphaNova has a website on which you cannot order anything. You have to send e-mails which they never answer. Most of the places that carry the kit will not ship to the U.S. Many of us would like to develop strains to help our loved ones but the DEA has stacked the deck against us. it is more important to the government for people to suffer and die rather than have them admit that the "cannabis has no medical value" line is bullshit. After all, the U.S. Government(through the Dept. of Health and Human Services) has the patent on cannabinoids. Why would they do that if there is no medical value?

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
PB, you are correct that Rimonabant is a synthetic cannabinoid. It is authorized in Europe, but the FDA was concerned about high death levels. CBD is an allosteric antagonist at the CB1 receptor. It basically fills the receptor so that THC cannot and blocks the effects of THC. CBD has a greater affinity for the CB2 receptor, which controls the immune system. It can relieve inflammation, convulsions and nausea. The Cb1 receptors are located in the brain,primarily and CBD seems to affect them somewhat as they cause the Hippocampus(where the majority of CB1 receptors are) to create more neurons,which alleviates anxiety.

El Solay stated some time ago that he and his research associates knew all about every cannabinoid and there would be no new discoveries. What a bunch of crap from an egotist wanting to protect his turf. He said that before scientists discovered 6 new cannabinoids and a possible 3rd CB receptor. There is still a lot to learn and most of the info is going to come from outside the US, as we are not allowed to research it without DEA authorization and must use the Mexi brickweed that El Solay grows, which contains less than .1% CBD and only 3.6-4.0% THC.

THCV is also listed as an antagonist at CB1 and affects the high from THC.

G

The U of Texas report talked about the CB1 receptor being blocked or deactivated by the attachment of a methyl group. After the methyl group is stripped away from the site, THC can then resume it's function. I mention this reflecting on the idea of "fills the receptor so that THC.."

A test being done with Sativex (THC+CBD) was halted when someone died. Probably unrelated to the Sativex itself. But not impossible.

Simpsons ww: Again symptoms indicate that a antiagonist is in play in the Simpson oil.

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Sativex failed its tests because the test group that got placebos did far better than expected. It doesn't mean that Sativex didn't work, but the power of suggestion(placebos) can sometimes cause folks to either heal themselves of feel better. Mental affects physical! I agree with you that the death probably had nothing to do with sativex. Brazilian scientists gave people up to 1480mg of CBD daily with no side effects.

G

Pops said:
Brazilian scientists gave people up to 1480mg of CBD daily with no side effects.
Got a link? It would be interesting to look at what they noticed.