What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The hemp seed hub: A thread for those who seek seeds and infos on hemp

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Yes from for me outstanding individuals like the intense purple one, the half dying one in the last post(had a lot of resin in august and gave little cbd buzz) and from a seperated place where i spread some seeds the first time i saw the hemp(1996).

J-Icky

Just saw some growing wild in indiana, now i have to find a way to be able to stop and grab some samples without drawing too much attention.

J-Icky

I doubt a camera would help as its on the side of a semi busy road right by some train tracks by a corn field. there is literally no reason other than being stopped by a train to be stopped there. The only reason I noticed was because I was stopped by a train, along with 10 other cars and I knew what I was looking at, while most others would think its just yet another weed along the road.

I know they would be "valuable" but I also don't want attention drawn to the area and local LEO going and destroying them all and then rounduping the area next year to basically kill it off for good.

bigblue80

Looking For Bulk Seeds

Looking For Bulk Seeds

Great post!

I'm a grower that is looking for different varities that may work well between the latitudes of 35 to 42. We have tried Fedora, Futura and Santheca (sp) over the past 2 years with limited success. Does anyone have any suggestions for seed sources to buy in bulk?

Thanks.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Depends on where on this beautiful planet you're trying to plant hemp ;) .
The official EU guidelines dictate that you buy solely from official seed vendors (IIRC I put the link somewhere in the first post; there's usually just 1 to 2 per country and each has a very limited assortment of EU approved varieties). All these sell in bulk and only in bulk, commonly for a fixed price. Haven't really checked this year but things should be very similar to last year.
If you'd live in Switzerland, things could be easier... but I don't know who sells seeds in bulk. Ask Agroscope or the "kantonale" agriculture responsible whom you have to ask anyway every year due to the contingent rubbish.

bigblue80

Thanks for the reply. I'm located in the US and we are having some difficulties locating seed varieties that are adapted to our growing climates.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Here's the hybrid I was talking about

These are finola plants but the one on the left is also 1/4 Nepalese. This plant's great-grandmother lived wild in the Himalayas. I expect these to be higher in cbd than the regulars.

ahortator

Veteran
Hi Thule. :tiphat: How are you? :)

I would like to ask if someone knows if it is possible to find BT allele inside a modern industrial hemp population, even if it suposedly is chemotype III.

In other words I would like to know if there is occurrency at least of a very few plants belonging to the chemotype II inside a modern industrial hemp strain with THC legal level 0.2-0.3%.

I know the case of an imprisoned Spanish farmer because in the routine analytics, some plants in his crop surpass the upper legal limits.

I have read that happened because all the certified seeds were sold out, and he decided to grow seeds from his previous crop.

Greetings.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Hi Thule. :tiphat: How are you? :)

I would like to ask if someone knows if it is possible to find BT allele inside a modern industrial hemp population, even if it suposedly is chemotype III.

In other words I would like to know if there is occurrency at least of a very few plants belonging to the chemotype II inside a modern industrial hemp strain with THC legal level 0.2-0.3%.

I know the case of an imprisoned Spanish farmer because in the routine analytics, some plants in his crop surpass the upper legal limits.

I have read that happened because all the certified seeds were sold out, and he decided to grow seeds from his previous crop.

Greetings.

Hola amigo, all good, keeping busy!

Trying to answer your question at least partly, somebody correct me if I'm wrong..

At one point in time the EU pulled back it's funding for the finola strain because of too high THC levels. The maximum level is something like 0,2% so even bd/bd genotypes can top that if harvested late, as was the case here. They then had to standardize the sampling time.

As far as I know there are no strains grown commercially in Europe that have the bt allele, and it doesn't just pop up after a few generations of open pollination.. unless there is stray pollen coming from somewhere else. In Europe it's controlled and shouldn't happen, but the southern ecological type of hemp (Italy, Turkey, Caucasus) traditionally has some bt chemotypes. In the past they also used to mix Romanian and French strains with Chinese ones and had to deal with higher cannabinoid levels in the progeny.

oldchuck

Veteran
Well, this year's harvest is in, except for a second Finola crop, and I have had some surprises with my hybrids. Among the F1 crosses there was not one that expressed anything like Finola. No early males, no short season or short stature, and some damn fine smoke. I don't get it. The F4 Ciskei-Finola cross is bland and not very interesting but hopefully some CBD increase.

The Swazi-Finola cross was prolific and small budded but the buds are tight, not airy. The aroma is spicy and aromantic and the smoke gets you high. The Dutch-Finola cross were tall and big budded. The buds and outer leaves ended up purple, another surprise. The plants were crazy sticky with resin, the smell is aromatic and sweet. Have only just finished harvest, three months after regular Finola.

An altogether satisfactory crop, I have to say, but not what I expected. Does anyone have some genetic explanation for these results?

ahortator

Veteran
Hi Thule :tiphat:

Doing some research I have found this two days ago. It is from 2004, 12 years ago, but the reference is from 1980.

The three chemotypes (I, prevalent THC; II, THC and CBD; and III, prevalent CBD) were found in several ecotypes and varieties, though some of the most inbred materials, such as the French monoecious cultivars, only showed two chemotypes (Fournier and Paris, 1980).

https://csatc.org/pdf-Scientific-Research/MandolinoCarboni2004.pdf
I have read it is well stablisehd that some male pollen arrives from Morocco here.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1352231097001611

I have also found this http://www.amjbot.org/content/91/6/966.full But the research was made with old hemp landrace strains, not with modern ones devoid of THC.

The presence of allele BT in the C. sativa gene pool suggests that introgression from C. indica might have played a role in the evolution of C. sativa. Wind-blown pollen may have contributed to allele migration between the two gene pools (Cabezudo et al., 1997⇓). Relatively high BT frequencies (range 0.38–0.55) were detected in seven hemp accessions from Turkey, Spain, Italy, former Yugoslavia, and southern Russia, which are assignable to the southern eco-geographical group of C. sativa (Davidyan, 1972⇓). Additional allozyme markers and morphological traits typical of C. indica were also observed in the southern group of C. sativa (Hillig, 2004⇓, in press).

Human selection of plants carrying two copies of the BT allele appears only to be of appreciable significance in the domestication of the NLD biotype. Human selection may have resulted in an increase in the quantitative levels of cannabinoids produced by the WLD biotype, but the average amount of CBD + THC produced by the NLD biotype did not significantly differ from the hemp and feral biotypes of C. indica. In fact, the average amount of THC + CBD produced by the NLD accessions was not significantly greater than the average amount of these two cannabinoids produced by the hemp accessions of C. sativa. Small and Beckstead (1973b)⇓

And this:
However, in some fiber ecotypes, like the one for which chemotypes distribution is shown in Figure 3 (an old Italian fiber ecotype, Eletta Campana), the number of plants that should be considered homozygous for THC was indeed not negligible; besides, the ab- solute amount of THC in the inflorescences, though not at the levels of the drug strains, is high enough to make this cultivar ineligible for EU subsidies. At the beginning of the 1990s, this situation was common for many dioecious fiber cultivars, and therefore the necessity arose, for an effective presence on the mar- ket, to “clean” the seed batches from THC-producing plants, without altering the overall genetic background.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...the-old-Italian-fiber-cultivar-Eletta-Campana

This makes me wonder if some Mexican strains could be carefully selected material from the not long ago disappeared old Spanish hemp.

I have read other hypothesis in an interesting article written by Mustafunk, in which Mexican NLD could be from Philippines like the polyembryonic (as Ataulfo) mangoes, carried by the Manila Galleon.

Greetings :)

oldchuck

Veteran
Experience is beginning to tell me that Cannabis genetics are a wild global ride and that we will never completely tame her.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Awesome presentation from Robert C. Clarke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WTESmwmXYM

They showed this map among others.. What I find interesting is the hypothetical origin of Himalayan NLD in China/Burma and BLD as a Central Asian native.

picture.php

zimeth

Hey guys
I'm a young student from the Czech republic, who's working on a business project surrounding hemp. I'm really lost in these industrial hemp varieties tho and I cant find the European catalogue, where every variety is listed (they told me I should look for something like this).

Can anyone recommend me some variety, which would be best for making pellets or charcoal? I'd basically love to create a substitute for wood burning. I dont really care about thc or cbd content and I dont know what I'd use seeds for (do they have high "heat of combustion", because thats the only thing im looking for), biomass is my priority and the amount of woody core or shiv it has.

If anyone could help I'd be so grateful... I've been looking for this kind of info for days and still can't find it. My brain hurts...

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Hi zimeth

Please read the first post. I went through a lot of hard work writing it and therefore have no intention on copying what's already there. The link to said catalogue is also provided (Link-o-Rama, in the small printed section). I admit, I had to update it (CLICK HERE for the proper one).

IIRC there are a few publications on your subject but I don't recall if there's something useful for you there. I'd go with tall fibre hemp varieties, best with thick stems, which mature in your climate zone (harvested green will likely mess with sample preparation and all). There's a few publications out there which deal with exactly that (and didn't I list plant size and maturation time, did I?). One or two publications are PhD works from a German university. Suppose I also provided the links for those in the first post.
Seeds... hmmm... although containing oil with a high heat of combustion, they're not well suited for pellets. Besides, hemp oil is rich in unsaturated fatty acids which tend to turn rancid fast -> stinky pellets will be hard to sell ;) .

Reminds me of which: I have to check and update all the other links as well and have a look at the new EU plant variety catalogue as well :) .

Latest posts

Latest posts